Talk

Advanced search

Emma

(45 Posts)
TwinkleStarX Tue 07-Jun-16 11:00:37

I'm finding it really hard to choose a name for my little girl. I've always loved the name Emma - my husband likes it too but says its "not very exciting". The trouble is, every time I come up with something "exciting" he vetoes it! What do you guys think of Emma? Any other suggestions we might like? Thanks!

EarthboundMisfit Tue 07-Jun-16 11:03:10

I love it.

NeedACleverNN Tue 07-Jun-16 11:03:23

I like Emma. It's not most exciting but it's probably pretty rare now days aswell compared to lily-mae wink

It's lovely

CremeEggThief Tue 07-Jun-16 11:04:18

It's a classic name you can't go wrong with.

swancourt Tue 07-Jun-16 11:12:04

I think Emma is so pretty - hardly anybody uses it but it's simple, classy, pretty and strong. I love it. My DH won't have it, and also one of my best friends is called Emma so it would be weird.

swancourt Tue 07-Jun-16 11:12:55

Maybe go for an 'exciting' middle name to liven it up for your DH!

blueskyinmarch Tue 07-Jun-16 11:14:54

I love the name Emma. All the Emma’s i know are really lovely. Does a name have to be exciting? I think simple, strong and easy to spell is good.

DubiousCredentials Tue 07-Jun-16 11:19:47

I like it. Timeless.

AliciaMayEmory Tue 07-Jun-16 11:21:15

As one of the many, many Emmas who were born in the 1970s I didn't like my name growing up as I was one of so many. Now I feel that I have grown into it. It's not very exciting, no, but it's pretty classic in that it doesn't really date, it works at most ages and I like the nn I get - Em/Ems (sometimes even Emmie!). I would have changed it in a heartbeat when I was 15, but not any more as I'm really rather fond of it!

20thcenturybitch Tue 07-Jun-16 11:23:34

Love it. Was on our girl shortlist, but had a boy! Like others have said, classic, pretty, easy to spell, not overused. What's not to like?

CodyKing Tue 07-Jun-16 11:23:39

I know 5 little Emma's - more common than you think

What about Tara or Zoey ?

dementedpixie Tue 07-Jun-16 11:25:23

I have a an Emma but it seems to be a fairly common name for her age group (she says there are 4 in one of her classes!)

TwinkleStarX Tue 07-Jun-16 11:31:43

Thanks for all your comments so far - I really love the name and don't know any little Emmas myself (lots my age but children I know are mainly called Amelia, Ava, Evie and Ella!). I had heard Emma was really popular in the US which concerned me a little, because I don't want her to be one of four in a class! Our surname is complicated so I thought a nice, simple and traditional first name would help.

dementedpixie Tue 07-Jun-16 11:33:09

How about Gemma? Emily? Mine has Elizabeth as a middle name btw

CodyKing Tue 07-Jun-16 11:39:59

Jenna or Jemma is a nice alternative

Sophronia Tue 07-Jun-16 12:57:22

I like it

LadyAntonella Tue 07-Jun-16 13:18:53

I love it! It's very classic and underused (in Home Counties at least - there seem to be far more Ellas, Emilys and Amelias).

How about Emmeline, shortened to Emma?

BlueDove Tue 07-Jun-16 13:22:36

It's nice - but is a bit boring, but that can be a good thing. I love the NNs Emme and Emmie smile

CoodleMoodle Tue 07-Jun-16 13:26:54

I'm an Emma as well. I was a child in the 90s and a teenager in the 2000s and there were a lot of us! I didn't like it then but it's not as common now and I quite like it.

queenofthemountains Tue 07-Jun-16 15:10:32

I have an Emma, it's a beautiful name. She has many nicknames Emsie is our favourite at the moment.

soundsystem Tue 07-Jun-16 15:48:09

It's not very exciting but it's nice, and classic. And no-one will misspell or mispronounce it! I met someone recently with a 2-year-old Emma and was a bit surprised when she told me the name as it's so unusual now!

DramaAlpaca Tue 07-Jun-16 15:50:55

I love it. If I'd had a girl her name would've been Emma. Had boys instead so couldn't use it!

Janicejohn Tue 07-Jun-16 15:56:31

It's lovely.

AngharadTheSplendid Tue 07-Jun-16 16:24:31

I'm not usually one for 'simple' 'traditional' names but I think Emma is quite lovely. Maybe because I have a pretty and lovely friend (aged 33) called Emma. Friends in the US have a one year old Emma but don't know any others. Reminds me of Ross and Rachel's baby in friends!

CPtart Tue 07-Jun-16 16:44:48

Emma is nice but rather dull.
How about Erica, Louisa, Faye?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now