Talk

Advanced search

Middle name similar to surname?

(14 Posts)
MrsDarcy4092 Fri 03-Jun-16 15:36:29

Hi, I don't want to out myself so this is tricky. I will do my best. My married surname is extremely similar to my fathers middle name and grandfathers middle made and great grand fathers middle name. As its so similar I instantly ruled out following the tradition but now I'm wondering if it can work. I am trying to think of comparisons so here goes. It would be like:

James Luca Lucas
Anne Kiera kierans
Anne Joan jones
James Davie daveson

Would you do it?

hussherbye Fri 03-Jun-16 15:39:39

Could you put another middle name between the two similar ones?

ScarlettDarling Fri 03-Jun-16 15:41:40

Well, I think most people never ever use a middle name in everyday life, so I can't see why it would be a problem. If the middle name is more just for tradition, to honour your dad, grandad etc, then yes of course, use it.

OneMagnumisneverenough Fri 03-Jun-16 16:36:27

Yip, just use it no-one usually says it all out and it has meaning and tradition behind it.

I've known people do it with a first name which I find a bit more awkward, like Robert Robertson, Lachlan McLachlan.

GoldPlatedBacon Fri 03-Jun-16 16:39:51

I'd add another name so say, James Luca John Lucas

julfin Sat 04-Jun-16 00:32:47

Personally I'd do what Gold suggests and add another middle name sandwiched between the two. But if you don't want to have two middle names, I think it's fine just to go ahead anyway with the family middle name.

manicinsomniac Sun 05-Jun-16 11:01:29

I quite like the sound - quite Scandinavian a la Magnus Magnuson.

Does depend on the name though.
Noah John Johnson - not a fan at all
Aaron Nicholas Nicholson - awesome

IoraRua Sun 05-Jun-16 15:43:06

Personally I wouldn't as I think it sounds weird. I'd add another middle name to separate the sounds, or just pick an entirely new one.

Out2pasture Sun 05-Jun-16 15:45:46

Another that thinks it would sound awesome. Go for it

MrsDarcy4092 Sun 05-Jun-16 17:17:58

Interesting.

Here's another one..,
How does

James Gower Gowans sound? Or is James Gower Leonard Gowans better?

MrsDarcy4092 Sun 05-Jun-16 17:18:34

Not set on James or any of these names just trying to see if similar middle and surnames are a no no

MuttonCadet Sun 05-Jun-16 17:25:13

Boy or girl?
Woman might change her family name on marriage, man is unlikely to.
(My husband did, because we wanted to carry on my family name, but it is unusual).

OneMagnumisneverenough Sun 05-Jun-16 17:28:13

I prefer James Gower Gowans OP.. It sounds absolutely fine.

ABitAsleep Mon 06-Jun-16 13:12:26

I think it sounds a bit odd, especially writing it like that...

It's almost like its a nick name, like on TV shows when they introduce James 'Gower' Gowans and then refer to them as just 'Gower'.

Another similar example... Someone is called Alex Jackson, but their friends call them 'Jacko' so they are known as Alex 'Jacko' Jackson.

Does that make sense? is it just me?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now