Talk

Advanced search

Name for Rowan's sibling

(53 Posts)
MumOnACornishFarm Tue 31-May-16 23:30:13

Suggestions and thoughts please on the following:

Fern/Maisie/Lola for a first name, Isabel/Astrid/Beatrix for a middle name.

Kit/Oscar for a first name, Harry/Benjamin for a middle name. We're more stuck for boys names than girls this time around sad

Worth mentioning that they will have a four syllable double barrelled surname too. So there's potential to be a bit of a mouthful shock

sashh Wed 01-Jun-16 06:22:09

All good names.

I know a Rowan, her sister is Meriel. Not sure why I'm telling you that, just because their names have always gone together for me.

MumOnACornishFarm Wed 01-Jun-16 06:55:54

Our Rowan is a boy, I'm hearing it more and more as a girl's name. Meriel is very pretty. I've never heard that before.

nuttymango Wed 01-Jun-16 06:58:56

I know of 5 children called Rowan, all bar one are boys. It's a good name.
Friends of mine have three boys, Rowan, Alex and Christopher.

nuttymango Wed 01-Jun-16 06:59:53

I like Fern Astrid and Kit but I don't think Kit goes with those middle names, sorry.

MumOnACornishFarm Wed 01-Jun-16 07:16:38

nutty we are really struggling with boys names this time sad It was the other was around with DC1. I would like to give a more traditional middle name alongside a slighly more unusual (but not weird) first name, so they have the option of either when they grow up. I don't want to burden them with anything too odd and have them hate their hippy mum! All ideas gratefully received!

nuttymango Wed 01-Jun-16 07:53:22

Kit Andrew? James? Edward?

cecilelliott Wed 01-Jun-16 09:27:10

If you want an unusual first name, Oscar is certainly not that - there are loads around and it's in top 10.

What about:

Rowan and Miles
Rowan and Barnaby
Rowan and Cameron
Rowan and Peter (very unusual for their generation)
Rowan and Saul

I love the name Rowan by he way!

MumOnACornishFarm Wed 01-Jun-16 09:35:52

Thank you cecil smile I hadn't looked at any of the names lists because I don't want to be swayed by them one way or another. Shows how wrong I can be! I really haven't come across many Oscars down here, so maybe that's a regional variation or maybe I just missed the swarms of Oscars. I still love it though.
I really like Barnaby, thank you for that. No way my partner would allow Cameron given his passionate dislike for the current PM smile

MumOnACornishFarm Wed 01-Jun-16 09:38:51

nutty Andrew has bad childhood memories. I know it's silly but once I've really disliked someone with a particular name I can't get beyond it! We've already used James for our DS1. I like Edward though. I also like Eddie/Eddy not sure of the spelling.

MyNewBearTotoro Wed 01-Jun-16 09:57:15

I love Kit although I don't think it goes particularly well with either middle name, sorry, especially not with a four-syllable surname. Would the full name be Christopher?

Fern Beatrix is beautiful for a girl.

MumOnACornishFarm Wed 01-Jun-16 10:07:26

Thanks MyNewBear Kit is often used as a nickname for Christopher, but we would just use Kit. Friends have Kitto as a middle name, which I think is a nice variation. My father is a Christopher, so it has meaning for us too. Starting to think they may go better used the other way around; Benjamin Kit? I guess we could still call him Kit.

MumOnACornishFarm Wed 01-Jun-16 10:10:48

Funny you picked Fern Beatrix. I hadn't settled on that combo. I thought:
Fern Isabel W-E
Lola Beatrix W-E
Lola Astrid W-E
Maisie Beatrix W-E

nuttymango Wed 01-Jun-16 10:17:43

If he's Benjamin Kit then he'll have Benjamin as his first name on anything official which could be a problem.
I know what you mean with names and memories, dsis is a teacher and so ruled out lots of names.

Also, a Kit to make a Benjamin? That was my first thought! I love Kit so I'd put it first.

nuttymango Wed 01-Jun-16 10:18:40

Rowan and Edmund? grin

Sophronia Wed 01-Jun-16 10:27:17

I like Fern Beatrix too.

How about these for a boy...

Asher
Amos
Bram
Cyrus
Corin
Eli
Ezra
Felix
Fraser
Gabriel
Isaac
Ivo
Jude
Jago
Miles
Rory
Silas
Theo
Tobin
Torin

MumOnACornishFarm Wed 01-Jun-16 10:27:44

Lol nuttymango I am a huge Black Adder fan but that might be stretching it a bit far! grin

Sgoinneal Wed 01-Jun-16 10:29:49

Fern and Kit. Could he be Christopher Benjamin nn Kit?

MumOnACornishFarm Wed 01-Jun-16 10:30:13

Thank you sophronia I really love Felix, but my partner took it off the list because "it sounds like a cat" sad We have gazillions of Jagos here in Cornwall. I love Gabriel and I really like Jude, too. Thank you!

Sgoinneal Wed 01-Jun-16 10:41:25

Ooooh Kit Gabriel is rather dashing!

age81 Wed 01-Jun-16 10:47:00

Love Oscar Benjamin, it sits well with Rowan too!

Rowan & Oscar

Dogolphin Wed 01-Jun-16 17:25:28

Could Kit be short for something else? It doesnt seem to flow well with middle names.

Love Beatrice, would that be a good first name? Trixie?

MumOnACornishFarm Wed 01-Jun-16 17:51:00

I'm starting to think that too, Dogolphin It's usually short for Christopher but I prefer this short form, so maybe Kit would be better as the middle name.

I like Beatrice a lot, but I prefer the more unusual Beatrix. Hadn't thought of Trixie though, really don't like that sad But I guess if it's used as a middle name people probably won't be shortening it, will they?

Dogolphin Wed 01-Jun-16 18:39:24

Most people wouldn't even think of it.

shotwithmyownbagsofshit Wed 01-Jun-16 18:49:12

I love Freya ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now