Talk

Advanced search

Irish DD names, not irish

(40 Posts)
WyldeGharlique Sat 28-May-16 17:32:48

my dad is Irish, but DH and I are English

We have a DD already who is a Roisin (after a much-loved relative on my dad's side) and are now expecting another girl.

We were going to go with a more traditional name this time eg. Eva, Eliza) but now the name Orla is growing on me.

Roisin and Orla?

Is it a bit too much Irish, given we aren't Irish? It feels a tiny bit silly maybe- like I'm trying to make 'a thing' of my Irishness. But I'm not, I just love the names. And I think I'm a teeny bit in LOVE with Orla

purplefox Sat 28-May-16 18:02:28

My friend has three children and all have Irish names but there's no family connections to Ireland whatsoever.

I like Orla though I prefer the spelling Orlaith

Iknownuffink Sat 28-May-16 18:05:56

Lovely names.

SantanaBinLorry Sat 28-May-16 18:08:22

Both lovely. We have two boys, one with (more commonly) American name and one with a Spanish name. We're English.
Mix it up I say smile

ElspethFlashman Sat 28-May-16 18:11:03

I think Orla is probably generic enough to get away with.

It's not one of my faves as I went to school with about 15,000 Orlas but I can see the appeal. Easy to spell and pronounce and feminine enough.

CremeEggThief Sat 28-May-16 18:11:14

I think it's grand. Your dad's Irish and it's a nod to their heritage.

HeffalumpHistory Sat 28-May-16 18:12:40

I love Orlaith, Niamh, Clodagh

manicinsomniac Sat 28-May-16 18:39:43

I know a couple of little Orlas and neither are Irish, nor have Irish parents.

I would expect and Irish Orla to be Orlaith.

So, no, I think it's fine.

babyblabber Sat 28-May-16 18:48:00

No it's fine, it's not an overly "Irish" name with loads of extra vowels, Hs and fadas.

For the record I'm Irish and have never met an Orlaith or even heard of that spelling except on here. Orla much prettier

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Sat 28-May-16 19:18:29

The one I know is an Orlaígh.

I think the pair is fine and Orla is a lovely name.

WyldeGharlique Sat 28-May-16 19:36:13

Brilliant, thanks!

Haudyerwheesht Sat 28-May-16 19:58:45

Orla (orlaith) is lovely. My grandparents Were Irish and Dd has an Irish name.

AngelsWithFilthySouls Sat 28-May-16 20:00:34

Love it and would have been our name if DS had been a DD. We're not Irish (Scottish) and would have used the Orlaith spelling.

DramaAlpaca Sat 28-May-16 20:02:04

Lovely names, they are beautiful together.

Scarydinosaurs Sat 28-May-16 20:03:10

I have an Orlaith, it's a family name and I LOVE it.

Did you know it means Gold? It is such a beautiful name.

And I believe Roisin was the code name for Ireland during WWII.

You have an excellent taste in names!

BennyTheBall Sat 28-May-16 20:04:32

I really dislike Irish names, as a rule.

But I don't mind Orla. And that spelling is much nicer than the uglier (imo) versions.

mrsschu Sat 28-May-16 23:42:10

It does sound a bit like you're trying to make something of your Irish connections but so what, I suppose. Not a fan of Orla, I went to school with dozens of them so when I hear "Orla" I think I'm about to doze off with boredom. It's one of these Irish names that I'm sure no one in Ireland would use any more but has gotten a bit trendy in the UK, maybe because it sounds a bit "different". I'm not keen on it. I also dislike the English pronounciation of it which is like "Aww..la" rather than "Oar-la" which is how an Irish person would say it.

mathanxiety Sun 29-May-16 07:58:31

Another here who is puzzled by the Orlaith spelling. It would be most unusual in Ireland and I think it just adds a layer of complication in the UK to a name that has a perfectly fine spelling in Iris (Orla).

I don't think it's laying on the Irishness to have a Roisin and an Orla. Orla is becoming popular even among people with no Irish heritage.

Or is gold; Orfhlaith (pr. Orla) is gold prince, but the name was always used for women.

cosmicglittergirl Sun 29-May-16 08:22:03

I didn't realise Orla was Irish, so not everyone will think that.

Sgoinneal Sun 29-May-16 09:17:55

Orla is pretty popular at the moment in Scotland, I assume people with Irish roots (just about everybody!) are using the name to mark that somehow. I agree with mrsschu that the English non-rhotic 'R' changes the name for me, but I still really like it. (I like all the names that are probably a bit out of use in Ireland because although I've family there, I'm Scottish.)

CremeEggThief Sun 29-May-16 11:02:05

Oh yes, please make sure the r is pronounced. "Ola" is awful! It's OARRLA!

Iguessyourestuckwithme Sun 29-May-16 11:03:43

Cara or Niamh

IoraRua Sun 29-May-16 11:43:40

God yes, watch the pronunciation.
It is nice though. Aoife?

Mottled Sun 29-May-16 11:58:59

Fine. Lots of 'English' children about with names from numerous backgrounds. Lovely names btw.

TyrionLannistersShadow Sun 29-May-16 12:01:49

Polkadots the fada over the i in Orlaígh would make it Orly not Orla , in Irish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now