Talk

Advanced search

Passing down your name?

(25 Posts)
Buckingnora Mon 16-May-16 12:10:31

Dc4 due in four weeks time it's our third boy and we are really struggling with a name Dh likes traditional (blokey) names and I like something a bit more quirky the only name we can agree on is the masculine form of my own name think along the lines of Harry/Harriet.
Generally I dislike baby's being named after family members but I'm really struggling to come up with an alternative. Do you think it's odd for a boy to have a similar name to his mum? The other problem is I am referred to by the male form as a nickname by family members which may cause confusion too. Honest opinions please and also any alternative suggestions for names, to give an idea of the names we like I'd love kit or rafe where as Dh would love Freddie or John!

ABitAsleep Mon 16-May-16 12:37:07

I think its a bit weird to have a very similar name to your child, boy or girl. Like maybe examples Danielle and Daniel, Anna and Hannah or Louise and Eloise, all sound odd and even a little 'self centred'.

If you have 3 other children who aren't named after your partner/family members, i would say no. At least, i personally wouldn't do it.

BendydickCuminsnatch Mon 16-May-16 12:48:43

DS' middle name is the male version of my name. I wouldn't have used it as a first name for various reasons (it's too popular, I don't want people to think I'm big headed, it's too similar to mine).

Mottled Mon 16-May-16 12:53:57

I wouldn't. How about Saul.

Buckingnora Mon 16-May-16 12:54:25

That is my main concern I've always thought it conceited when people name their children after themselves, it's ironic that I don't particularly like my name but I do love the male version perhaps I should consider a name change for myself instead!
Thank you for your opinions I will get back to the drawing board. Any suggestions welcome.

1horatio Mon 16-May-16 12:58:07

I don't think that Harry/Harriet would be too conceited...
Or what about Henry? Isn't Harry a form of Henry...?

Buckingnora Mon 16-May-16 12:59:01

just to add to our naming woes dh is the youngest of 8 all of whom have several children/grandchildren so that rules out a fair few names Saul being one.

LilyandGinger Mon 16-May-16 13:00:32

I met someone recently who was called Christine, her children with Christina and Christopher.

RockMeMomma Mon 16-May-16 13:00:36

I worked with a guy who was given a version of his mother's maiden name as his first name
Example :
Jackson = Jack.
Henderson = Henry ....etc

Would that be an option if you don't want to use your dh'so name variations?

Buckingnora Mon 16-May-16 13:01:21

1horatio Harry isn't the name I want just an example for comparison.

Buckingnora Mon 16-May-16 13:04:46

ok lilyandginger your post has just make me lol at the ridiculousness so I guess I have my answer!

BumpAndGrind Mon 16-May-16 13:40:09

I know a brother and sister, Pauline and Paul.

I'm not even kidding.

Pipilangstrumpf Mon 16-May-16 14:21:38

I wouldn't. There are so many other names to choose from and I'd prefer my son to have his 'own' name.

Love Kit and Rafe!

1horatio Mon 16-May-16 15:35:09

I really like Freddie (or Frederick) btw. And Rafe is also lovely smile!

Luckystar1 Mon 16-May-16 15:46:47

Lily - did they live not far from Stansted airport??

PickleBot Mon 16-May-16 16:16:37

I think it's a bit hard to help without a few specifics. It would be helpful to know what the names of your other boys are and also what the name is you are thinking of calling this baby.

septembersunshine Mon 16-May-16 16:22:40

I feel your pain op. We a very common surname (think Jones) and my DH is from a clan of males. Many many boys. All the names seem to be gone but we both hate naming after family members. Recently the grandparents and great grandparents names got used (both for first and second names) and we were just a little puzzled as to why they couldn't think of a new name for the baby. There are several living relatives with this name now - it's going to be very confusing on family hols! I would steer clear of this since you have not done it before and already you are doubting doing it. What are your other children called? I have three kids already and one on the way - I asked them to make lists and they come up with some really good ideas! best of luck x

Buckingnora Mon 16-May-16 17:10:45

Ok so I'm Louise and I really love the name louis although I've realised I can't do it to the poor child!
My older boys are Isaac and sonny both from my first marriage and we have a daughter called Imogen (waves at school mum's)
We agreed on girls names and had a list of about 50 possibles but Louis is the only boys name we both like.

BendydickCuminsnatch Mon 16-May-16 19:00:42

1horatio that's our name combo 😄 Went for Henry.

I was going to say I think Louise and Louis would be too similar, imagine in birthday cards - lots of love (Dad), Louise and Louis... But you've got the other 3 kids in there too so it might blend in and go unnoticed!

BendydickCuminsnatch Mon 16-May-16 19:01:34

But you've decided otherwise so that's that!

What about Jackson? Just a random suggestion. Met a gorgeous one at the weekend!

MrsLettuce Mon 16-May-16 19:22:03

Yeah Louise / Louis is too close, anyway if it's your nickname and you love it it'd have been a shame to deprive yourself of it.

Jack
Bertrand (Bert)
Leo
Felix

Buckingnora Mon 16-May-16 19:29:46

Thank you both for your suggestions all are right up my street and all have been vetoed by Dh! It's so frustrating to have such different tastes.

1horatio Mon 16-May-16 19:46:42

You could make a post with the names you DH likes?
Maybe somebody would suggest something that you both like...?

FellOutOfBedTwice Mon 16-May-16 20:10:15

My Mum and her Dad have similar names (think Nigel/Nigella although obviously not as I'm not one of Nigella Lawsons kids- promise!) and her parents always claim it wasn't done in a naming after way, it was just the name they liked. It never really caused any problems or confusions to be honest, and my Mum does get called the boys version as a shortening too.

Sophronia Mon 16-May-16 22:36:06

I think it's fine! Boys are often named after their dads and no-one really thinks anything of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now