Talk

Advanced search

due next week!

(18 Posts)
YorkshireMummy0516 Wed 11-May-16 09:14:50

Hi All,
As title says I'm due next week, expecting a girl and we don't have a name we both love, or even a shortlist we really agree totally on. Can you help? So far I have the following (with DH's opinion in the brackets):

Olivia (Too commonly used)

Octavia (Likes but won't use because it's too 'out there' and doesn't want the child to get teased for an unusual name at school, Octavia is my favourite by miles)

Evelyn (DH likes this, especially shortened to Effie, I think it's a bit boring, esp compared to Octavia)

Genevieve (DH likes, and would use nn Jenny, I'm not sure on it)

Any further suggestions and inputs?? MN would be Rose, surname is 2 syllables starting with C.

Thanks!

ABitAsleep Wed 11-May-16 09:31:43

I like Olivia, but agree that it is quite common at the moment. I don't really like any of your others...

How about;

Elvira (Elvie/Elfie)
Emmeline (Emme)
Evanna (Evy)
Odette (Ettie)
Ottilie (Ottie)
Ginerva (Ginny)
Giovanna (Gi)
Georgiana (Georgie)
Coraline (Cora)
Cassandra (Cassie)

Sophronia Wed 11-May-16 10:19:09

I love Genevieve

How about...

Vivienne
Ophelia
Esmeralda
Valentina
Ottilia
Liviana
Felicity
Emmeline
Jennifer
Magdalena
Philippa
Ramona
Josephine
Susannah
Viviana

Pipilangstrumpf Wed 11-May-16 10:50:48

My favourite is Octavia! Beautiful, classic and not overused. Also love the suggestion of Valentina. How about Antonia?

GoldPlatedBacon Wed 11-May-16 13:03:06

I love Octavia.

Jemima
Melita
Maria
Francesca
Davinia

BlueChampagne Wed 11-May-16 13:33:50

Octavia is great and I wouldn't say it was 'out there'. There is the Skoda connection to consider though.

Corinna
Juliet
Rhiannon
Rosanne/a
Celeste

PunkAssMoFo Wed 11-May-16 14:30:15

Genevieve Is beautiful.

The others are a little bland in comparison.

Pipilangstrumpf Wed 11-May-16 15:47:36

Octavia is not 'out there' at all, it's a beautiful name. Agree the others, especially Olivia and Eve, are quite bland in comparison.

CakeRattleandRoll Wed 11-May-16 16:58:03

Love Genevieve.

How about:
Larissa
Corisande
Miranda
Madeleine

septembersunshine Wed 11-May-16 18:28:27

I met a Lilianna the other day. Gorgeous baby. She was going to be Lily for short. Evelyn would be the name I'd chose from your list. Her friends might try to shorten it to Evie or Eve (both lovely). Octavia sounds way too much, plus hard sounding. Almost like a character out of a Jilly Cooper novel (but that could just be me).

AuntJane Wed 11-May-16 19:17:34

Evangeline

Winterbiscuit Wed 11-May-16 19:52:01

I like Olivia and Octavia. Evelyn is quite nice although Evie is very popular (Genevieve could also be nn Evie). If I was going for Jenny as a nickname I'd pick Jennifer as full name.

YorkshireMummy0516 Thu 12-May-16 05:47:09

Thank you everyone for your suggestions smile it's just so blooming infuriating when trying to have the name conversation with DH is like drawing blood from stone! Xx

HarrysMummy17 Thu 12-May-16 06:17:41

I like Genevieve but prefer Guinevere with nn Gwen

julfin Thu 12-May-16 07:40:10

I think you should keep pushing for Octavia. I don't think she'd get teased. It's unusual but in a good way (ie it's well recognised as a name, not made-up). Very classy.

softboiledeggs Thu 12-May-16 07:42:05

Skoda Octavia is what would put me off that name but Olivia is lovely

Zhabr Thu 12-May-16 07:50:26

Yes, Jilly Cooper's book...My favourite! Octavia- very pretty, vulnerable, needs a firm hand. Nn Tavi.

BoboBunnyH0p Thu 12-May-16 11:20:17

I like the name Octavia.
Avoid Olivia it is over used.
My suggestions:
Evangeline
Seraphina
Alana
Imogen

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now