Talk

Advanced search

Eleanora - honest opinions please!

(42 Posts)
PlasticineHardHat Wed 04-May-16 13:55:32

I've picked Eleanora as a potential name for my daughter, due in August. However, it has met with mixed responses - please tell me your honest opinions/reactions to it!

LadyAntonella Wed 04-May-16 13:58:26

Not my cup of tea, but definitely a nice enough name. When you say mixed responses do you mean some people strongly dislike it? I don't see why they would.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Wed 04-May-16 13:59:49

Eleanor = nice
Leonora = nice
Eleanora = a bit of a mouthful.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Wed 04-May-16 14:01:08

Bit much.

Bit Shakespeare.

Bit fairy tale queen.

I love it. But it's a big name for a tiny person.

Floggingmolly Wed 04-May-16 14:02:32

I much prefer Eleanor.

LadyAntonella Wed 04-May-16 14:07:05

It has plenty of options for nns. Ellie, Elle, Nora, Lenny maybe. I'm warming to it OP! I prefer it to Eleanor actually. Leonora is nicer though and still nice nns. I'd go for Leonora.

MitzyLeFrouf Wed 04-May-16 14:11:05

The name of an imposing Victorian matriarch.

PlasticineHardHat Wed 04-May-16 14:11:57

My DH suggested it and at first I wasn't sure, but it's really grown on me and now it's the frontrunner! I do like just Eleanor too though..

KingJoffrey I think your responses have made me like the name even more!

It's not met with strong dislike by friends/family - people either like it or sort of say "oh.." confused

Buckinbronco Wed 04-May-16 14:12:34

I like it

PlasticineHardHat Wed 04-May-16 14:13:47

Shakespearean
Fairy Tale queen
Imposing Victorian matriarch

What more can you ask from a name?

FellOutOfBedTwice Wed 04-May-16 14:17:09

I don't know how old you are OP but for me I immediately thought "Wizardora", a kids TV show from my youth about a batshit mad witch who wore some mad clothes. I think it's because it sounds a bit made up. Eleanor is nice though, just go with that.

ProphetOfDoom Wed 04-May-16 14:18:13

I used to love the name Lenor. [bastard Proctor & Gamble]

Eleanora is lovely, but I agree that Leonora or Eleanor is easier on the tongue. There will be a big tendency to shorten Eleanora I would think.

steppemum Wed 04-May-16 14:26:06

Eleanor = nice
Leonora = nice
Eleanora = a bit of a mouthful.

exactly this.
And I love the name Eleanor. Never shorten it to Ellie, it is so nice as the whole name

Sophronia Wed 04-May-16 15:14:31

I like it

Tiggeryoubastard Wed 04-May-16 15:15:40

*Eleanor = nice
Leonora = nice
Eleanora = a bit of a mouthful.*

Thirded

Dollface136 Wed 04-May-16 15:16:18

It's nice enough but be wary that people are lazy, and when they don't understand a name your daughter will inevitably spend a lot of time correcting people that her name is not Lenora or Eleanor. My mother is Suzanne and is constantly having to correct people that she is not Susan.

GerundTheBehemoth Wed 04-May-16 15:22:02

It makes me think of Eleanora's falcons, which are lovely. So I like it smile

eatmytoes888 Wed 04-May-16 16:46:27

I think it's beautiful and quite stylish. I think it's a great name for a teen and an adult too.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Wed 04-May-16 18:33:46

Don't like it sorry. Makes me think of Lenor comforter. Plus too try hard

septembersunshine Wed 04-May-16 19:22:53

To me it sounds like Eleanora is too separate names and that is what I don't like about it. You can hear Ella and Norah and I know that's the point but it's just a mash up of two names to me. It's quite plodding too - doesn't flow easily. It's not a bad name just a little much.

butteredmuffin Wed 04-May-16 21:46:10

Eleanor is pretty, and works well for a child and an adult. Eleanora sounds a bit frilly/try-hard.

You could call her Eleanora and find that she shortens it to Eleanor or Ellie because she thinks it's too much.

PlasticineHardHat Wed 04-May-16 22:55:30

Thanks for the responses everyone! At the moment I'm inclined to go with Eleanor I think rather than Eleanora, depending on which suits her best once she's born smile

mathanxiety Wed 04-May-16 22:57:26

I love it.

julfin Wed 04-May-16 23:12:52

I think both Eleanor and Eleanora are lovely. Eleanora is more unusual and quite regal - I like it.

But with Eleanora you can guarantee it'll get shortened, whereas with Eleanor you/she might get away with always using her name in full - I know a couple of Eleanors that were never shortened.

So I guess for me, the crux of it is: do you mind the likely nicknames? If, for example, you can't stand Ella/Ellie as a nickname, then Eleanora might be a risky option.

RonaldMcDonald Thu 05-May-16 01:07:51

No. Eleanor is divine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now