Emilia vs Erin

(36 Posts)
countrytweed Mon 02-May-16 10:34:08

Opinions please! Was previously set on Emilia (nn Emme) but having a wobble about popularity of Amelia and the fact that she might be one of ten Amelia/Emilias in the class... I know it's spelt differently but the pronunciation is v similar. Have recently starting leaning towards Erin - but are there millions of those too (in South East)? Which do you prefer? Thanks smile

Startingover2016 Mon 02-May-16 10:35:28

I prefer Erin and don't know any.

The only Emilia I know is sometimes called Emily-a by mistake when her name is read out.

Afreshstartplease Mon 02-May-16 10:35:30

I work with children and in ten years I've met one Erin. It's lovely.

Two of my DC are school age and no Erin's in their classes

BikeRunSki Mon 02-May-16 10:38:05

DD is 4. Loads of Amelias and a fair few Erins amongst her peers. Only 1 Emelia, but as you say, she does get mistaken for Amelia.

What about Emma?

derektheladyhamster Mon 02-May-16 10:41:04

13 years ago DS was going to be an Emilia. So I'm a bit biased, especially as I don't particularly like the Erin I know

septembersunshine Mon 02-May-16 11:37:21

I must admit, I find Erin quite a cold name. Just sounds a bit hard but Emilia is very pretty (to look at on paper and read). That's just me though, sure others will like it very much. What about Cecilia - with Celia has nn? Same kind of vibe has Emilia.

butteredmuffin Mon 02-May-16 12:26:49

I think they are both lovely names. But Emilia is more common at the moment and will get mistaken for Amelia a lot, whereas Erin is more unusual.

A4Document Mon 02-May-16 12:47:57

Emilia. I don't know a single Emilia or Amelia.

hollieberrie Mon 02-May-16 12:50:42

Erin - lovely and not overly used. I'm a teacher - there are absolutely loads of Amelias / Amelies / Emilys.

HelsBels3000 Mon 02-May-16 12:51:49

I really like Erin

ohidoliketobe Mon 02-May-16 12:56:08

I like Erin. Emilia is beautiful but I do think it's just too similar sounding to Amelia, I'm north west and we're overun with Amelia's. My niece is one of 3 in her Y1 class of 16 girls.

Sgoinneal Mon 02-May-16 12:56:20

Prefer Ellen/Elin to both but I'd go with Erin purely on the basis that Emilia/Amelia/Emily/Amelie is really popular - know several and that's before you get in to the similar sounding ones like Emme, Ellie, Millie and so on

LadyAntonella Mon 02-May-16 14:01:50

I would go with Erin out of the two options. I know a few little girls called Erin and a LOT of Amelia / Emilias.

Emma / Amelie / Emily maybe? They are quite popular (maybe Emma not so much), but not as popular where I live as Amelia seems to be.

Sophronia Mon 02-May-16 14:20:19

Not keen on either, but Erin seems less popular than the Emilia/Amelia/Emily/Amelie names

Sophronia Mon 02-May-16 14:21:20

How about Erica?

jellybeansprout Mon 02-May-16 14:33:02

Erin is gorgeous but hard to shorten.

Ilovewillow Mon 02-May-16 14:40:41

I think both are lovely but prefer Erin! If you are thinking nn of Emme have you thought about just using Emi (Emmi) to make it more unusual!

MrsMarigold Mon 02-May-16 14:43:31

We know an Emilia nn Mimi

countrytweed Mon 02-May-16 19:53:00

Thanks for your replies! Think I'm still leaning towards Erin... especially since it won't require as much spelling out to people (I have a very unusual name which has been a pain over the years...)

sleepyMe12 Mon 02-May-16 19:55:09

I love Erin and the fact you cannot shorten it was one of the reasons I chose it.

Also no other child in the school or that I know is called Erin.

mrsschu Mon 02-May-16 20:49:33

I really dislike Erin. Maybe it's because I'm Irish and it has always seemed like a "fake" Irish name to me, like the kind of name an American would use to honour their Irish great, great grandparents or something rather than giving them an actual Irish name. So on that basis I prefer Emilia grin. In spite of Amelia/Emilia's popularity, I have never met very many of them where I am in London.

butteredmuffin Mon 02-May-16 20:55:20

Is Erin supposed to be an Irish name?

BossWitch Mon 02-May-16 20:58:50

Taught lots of Emilia, Amelia, etc. Only one Erin. I think it's a great name, feminine but strong.

Ludways Mon 02-May-16 21:00:55

I have an Erin close to me, I've spent the day with her today, she's 17, she hates it as to her it's s little girls name with there being more called it nowadays. I do know a couple of 40+ Erin's that I went to uni with in the states.

It is a fake Irish name, rather than an actual Irish name, lol. Eirinn is the Irish word for Ireland, I think.

BennyTheBall Mon 02-May-16 21:02:34

Amelia/Emilia/Amelie/Emmie - they're far too overused (around these parts, anyway).

I like Erin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now