Cloudia

(40 Posts)
Cosycottage4 Sun 01-May-16 09:45:03

I also love Claudia but DH doesn't like the 'claw' sound...he could be persuaded with the Cloudia pronunciation though.

I wouldn't want DD to have to be constantly correcting people if we spell it the usual way-so could we spell it this way? Has anyone seen this before? Don't want it to seem like a made up name!

bluespiral Sun 01-May-16 09:46:51

I'd assume the parents were illiterate if I heard of a child with this name. I'd also feel sorry for them that they'd have to spend their whole life correcting people.

Very bad idea.

Sophronia Sun 01-May-16 09:48:13

I'd spell it Claudia anyway.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 01-May-16 09:48:14

It looks totally made up to me. Like her parents didn't know how to spell Claudia.

MizK Sun 01-May-16 09:49:24

It looks clunky spelled like that. Claudia is lovely but if you don't like the usual pronunciation you will be correcting people constantly.

lljkk Sun 01-May-16 09:50:22

Cloudia is the pronunciation for Spanish speakers, I love the sound of that, too. I'd spell it Claudia & not mind how other people said it.

It's a bit close to Clamidia, isn't it?!!

TheDowagerCuntess Sun 01-May-16 09:50:24

Well, it is a made up name!!

Just spell it the usual way, and explain the pronunciation if/when needed. DD had a name that can be pronounced three different ways. People get the 'correct' pronunciation soon enough.

kippersyllabub Sun 01-May-16 09:51:09

If I saw that name on a CV I would think "parents with low educational attainment" before suppressing that thought and going back into professional mode.

cece Sun 01-May-16 09:52:42

Please spell it correctly - Claudia - and people will know how to pronounce once they have been told.

cece Sun 01-May-16 09:53:56

Plus if you spell it wrong you will give her a life of correcting how people spell it.

LadyAntonella Sun 01-May-16 09:57:03

I'd spell it Claudia. Most of the time people don't see your name written down when you first meet anyway. DD will say "hi I'm Claudia" and people will call her that (unless they're a bit foolish)

KoalaDownUnder Sun 01-May-16 09:59:09

I know a Claudia pronounced the Italian way - which is the way you want it. She has no probs.

Just spell it Claudia and tell everyone.

RalphSteadmansEye Sun 01-May-16 10:00:01

Just spell it the normal way. I know 5 Claudias and 2 pronounce it the "cloud" way - I think they both have German heritage.

NickNacks Sun 01-May-16 10:00:25

I know a Klaudia pronounced how you are wanting to.

pratiaalba Sun 01-May-16 10:02:41

I would always pronounce Claudia as Cloudia, so just spell it the proper way.

VinceNoirLovesHowardMoon Sun 01-May-16 10:05:45

I just snorted at your op so if that's what you want people to do then go agead

DontKillMyVibe Sun 01-May-16 10:06:04

Spell it the proper way, Cloudia is terrible.

bloodymaria Sun 01-May-16 10:08:22

I quite like it! Certainly don't think you'd face as much derision IRL as on here, op. If you like it, go for it - Google says she won't be the only Cloudia.

ManonCrempog Sun 01-May-16 10:08:28

I love my name. I'm a Manon, and it really suits me. If I had to choose another, I'd lik Elizabeth, Mary, Katherine or Siân.

ManonCrempog Sun 01-May-16 10:08:55

Whoops, wrong thread sorry

Goingtobeawesome Sun 01-May-16 10:11:36

Cloudia looks horrible and I'd think the parents were trying to be clever. I'd feel sorry for their disillusionment both sorry for their child who will spend all her life correcting the spelling as opposed to the pronunciation which will soon be learnt.

mrsschu Sun 01-May-16 10:16:54

It looks ridiculous, like you just can't spell or you're trying to be you-neeq. I know lots of German Claudia's who spell it the correct way although it's pronounced Cloudia. Just introduce her as "Cloudia"and people will catch on pretty quickly... But don't use the made up spelling.

Brainnotbrawn Sun 01-May-16 10:19:08

Cloudia is also a German pronounciation but spell it Claudia, Cloudia looks misspelt.

DerelictMyBalls Sun 01-May-16 12:04:59

Yes, spell it Claudia, Cloudia just looks daft.

julfin Sun 01-May-16 13:40:27

Yes I agree re: If I saw that name on a CV I would think "parents with low educational attainment" before suppressing that thought and going back into professional mode.

Spell it the correct way. The "Cloud" pronunciation is sufficiently well known that you shouldn't have too many problems convincing people.

In case you're interested, the Romans had a (less aristocratic) alternative to Claudia, which was Clodia. Unlike Cloudia, it's a real name, so perhaps worth considering? The famous Clodia was a bit of a tart though: see Cicero's Pro Caelio)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now