Willow....when it doesn't match siblings name??

(21 Posts)
NinaNeener Sat 30-Apr-16 17:49:21

DS has a name from our culture which is lovely and soft sounding but very traditional I.e. ancient.

We were going to continue the "theme" & name this baby a name with a similar provenance.

BUT all the girls names are awful! The only ones that are ok sounding are ones we're pretty meh on, but at least we don't hate.

The other day DH threw a spanner into the works by wistfully saying his favourite name of all time is Willow.

So now I'm thinking why would we use a meh name to be in keeping with DS when we can have a name one of us adores? (I think it's adorable, btw)

But oh god, the comments we'd get about it not remotely matching. ...The perplexed looks.....The head tilts.....

Is it worth it????

AntsMarching Sat 30-Apr-16 17:51:57

I don't think names need to match. The only thing I'd avoid is having names too similar, eg Milly and Molly.

If you're happy with Willow, go with Willow. They will share a house for the next 18idh years but after that, they won't be together quite so often

nocoffeenouppee Sat 30-Apr-16 18:00:41

I love that name. I had it on my list for a girl (had boys). Didn't really think I'd be brave enough to use it given the slightly hippy nature of it but that says more about me than those who do use it.

Shapebandit Sat 30-Apr-16 18:11:59

I can't think of any names that Willow would sound dreadful with. Even very traditional ones sound fine I think

julfin Sat 30-Apr-16 18:17:53

I think Willow is lovely. Siblings' names don't need to "match". Would you give her a traditional middle name from your culture? (And would you like our views on those too? wink)

julfin Sat 30-Apr-16 18:20:18

PS the only reason I might avoid Willow is if she is likely to be the opposite of willowy.

NinaNeener Sat 30-Apr-16 18:21:27

Well I am a bit shy of the thought of roaring it out in the playground but today when I was there on a packed Saturday I realised that there was such a vast variety that I'd get over it.

But it's the thought of the explanations - in my job I meet new people all the time and often when eating lunch at events the subject of families comes up. "X and......Willow?? How....interesting!"

MiddleClassProblem Sat 30-Apr-16 18:21:51

I don't think it matters. Tbh when people have set themes is can be awful, like all my children are named after people in history or they are all a season (singularly fine) or they all start with the same letter.

BackforGood Sat 30-Apr-16 18:23:00

I personally don't like the name Willow, but that's my own personal preference.
However - why should siblings names match ? confused
Just choose a name you both love and go with it.

MiddleClassProblem Sat 30-Apr-16 18:23:21

No chance you could give DS's name or a similar version as an example?

1horatio Sat 30-Apr-16 18:23:22

Willow is really lovely smile

Ilovewillow Sat 30-Apr-16 18:24:58

I'm not sure they need to match! I love the name as you can tell my daughter is called Willow and my son is Seth! Not sure they match and it wasn't a consideration! I think all children should be given a name you love (or at least one of you loves)!

NinaNeener Sat 30-Apr-16 18:25:04

julfin actually no, we were going to call her after MIL who is from the same culture but whose name is actually pretty bland and Anglo. Think Ann but not as exciting, lol. Whereas DS is from my Dad whose name happened to be traditional. So there'd be no "match" at all.

I don't really care about that though as in our family second names aren't a particularly big deal and are rarely mentioned again, tbh.

EverySecondCounts Sat 30-Apr-16 18:27:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nannawifeofbaldr Sat 30-Apr-16 18:27:59

I don't think that siblings names have to match. After all it's only a fairly limited amount of their life that their names will be said together.

My brother lives at the other end of the country and neither of us live in the city we grew up in. None of my colleagues and very few of my friends are ever likely to meet my brother or care what his name is in relation to mine.

Just check that you can shout both names together without any difficulty and all will be well.

Iguessyourestuckwithme Sat 30-Apr-16 18:28:45

What do you mean by cultural?

Muhammad and Willow might not flow where as Augustus and Willow may ...

NinaNeener Sat 30-Apr-16 18:29:24

Middle it's too rare & too outing. Someone might know me and I'm shy. blush

But it is lovely and soft and starts with an L so they actually don't sound a million miles apart.

......If you were from Mars and didn't realise one was kinda hippy and one was the exact opposite!

daydream86 Sat 30-Apr-16 18:30:16

aww Willow is my favourite girls name, if mines a girl, that'll be what she'll be called. If you like it then go for it! it's lovely X

LadyAntonella Sat 30-Apr-16 19:28:05

I just asked DH what his favourite name of all time ever and he said Boatie McBoatface. hmm

Willow is lovely. I don't think it matters if names match.

meffhead Sat 30-Apr-16 19:53:16

We loved Willow and it was top of our list .... 4 weeks before birth Mark from Take That called his daughter it!!! It came off the list !!!!!
Luckily we had a DS and his name stuck !!!
Finally 20 mths later DD arrived .... We called her Cleo !!! Not even close !

meffhead Sat 30-Apr-16 19:53:59

Op.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now