Talk

Advanced search

Lynn or Lynne?

(16 Posts)
JoelleJ Wed 27-Apr-16 14:24:39

Hi smile we have decided on Kate!

Her middle name will be Lynn(e).

How would you spell it? I feel like Lynne is prettier?

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Wed 27-Apr-16 14:27:10

If I had to spell Lynne, I would put the e on - I always think names like Ann & Lynn look a bit 'unfinished' somehow.

However, I wouldn't put Kate and Lynne together. It will lead to a lifetime of "no, not Caitlin, ^Kate Lynne^"

JoelleJ Wed 27-Apr-16 14:28:43

When will she ever say "hi I'm Kate Lynn(e)"??? Lynn(e) is for the middle.

So we can actually call her Kate Lynn(e), but I don't like the way Caitlin looks and I don't want her to have a unique spelling!

Pipilangstrumpf Wed 27-Apr-16 14:30:34

I also wouldn't call her Kate Lynn(e) as it sounds like Caitlin.

How about Katharine Lynne?

JoelleJ Wed 27-Apr-16 14:34:00

It's supposed to sound like that... I love the name. I just hate the Caitlin spelling and refuse to give her a unique spelling...

I only needed advice on the spelling smile

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Wed 27-Apr-16 14:36:30

When having to give her full name I imagine. It's not every day, but often enough to get a little annoying all the same!

Would you have Kate as the full first name? Kate is lovely, but if you were thinking of using Katherine as her name on the birth certificate then she may well never need to say "Kate Lynne, no not Caitlin" - as her full name would be Katherine Lynne, even if she was called Kate all of the time.

Also, if you are keen to avoid "unique spellings" of Caitlin, calling a child Kate Lynne may well have just that effect. Much like using Emma Leigh not Emily etc.

JoelleJ Wed 27-Apr-16 14:41:54

I was planning on just calling her Kate. I love it.

I know sad it's such a struggle! I really don't like the way Caitlin looks... Katelyn looks all sorts of wrong.

It has to be Kate Lynne. I think it would be easy enough to just say "first name is Kate, middle name is Lynne" if she has to say her full name.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Wed 27-Apr-16 14:51:40

OK, I'll admit it - I actually have a first and middle name that make another name when said together. So am speaking from personal experience.

Yes, you're right that in some circumstances you could say "first name Kate, middle name Lynne" without a problem. But, I assure you it does sometimes cause problems. Well, not problems as such but the need to correct someone.

Having experienced it myself, I wouldn't give my child a name that sounds like another name in this way.

At least you have recognised that Kate Lynne sounds the same as Caitlin. My parents "didn't notice" hmm.

cornishglos Wed 27-Apr-16 16:25:58

I love Lynn as a first name.

BertieBeatle Wed 27-Apr-16 16:38:05

I prefer the spelling Lynn but either is fine. I don't think the Kate Lynn thing is a problem at all!! She might even like having the option to be Kate or Kate Lynn. I gave a friend who is Samantha Anne and often goes by Samianne, it's nice to be able to play with a name and have options. Go for it if that's what you like.

Quercus3 Wed 27-Apr-16 17:45:20

I prefer Lynn

thatsn0tmyname Wed 27-Apr-16 17:47:19

Kate Lynette?

Sophronia Wed 27-Apr-16 20:59:05

Kate Lynn

AuntJane Wed 27-Apr-16 21:33:04

Kate Lyn?

OneMagnumisneverenough Wed 27-Apr-16 21:36:06

Ordinarily I would say with the e as I think it looks better but for some reason when teamed with Kate it looks better without... confused

PamelaPatriciaYouCanCallMePam Wed 27-Apr-16 21:58:06

My first name is Kate and I think I'm the only person I know who genuinely likes their name-it's a lovely choice. Personally I think Lyn although it's worth noting maybe that the name Caitlin is an Irish name and isn't pronounced Katelyn anyway if pronounced correctly....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now