Names to go with surname 'Smith'?

(26 Posts)
hiccup223 Thu 21-Apr-16 18:05:08

We have the most common surname imaginable and we need something different but not too 'out there'. My family are pretty traditional and my tastes are popular, but could end in a completely run of the mill name.

Don't know the gender and won't find out till baby arrives.

Any ideas!? Pretty open to suggestions at the moment!! X

eltsihT Thu 21-Apr-16 18:09:16

Hazel was my choice for a little girl, I like slightly older names that aren't to popular at the moment to go with smith.

Saying that my boys have names from my husbands country so have very unusual names to go with smith

hiccup223 Thu 21-Apr-16 22:12:10

I really love Amelia for a girl and Callum for a boy, but worried both are too popular...!

Can't win. Those with rare surnames struggle and then us with Smith moan too!!!

julfin Thu 21-Apr-16 23:16:48

Amelia and Callum both go well with Smith.

1horatio Thu 21-Apr-16 23:52:26

Amelia is pretty and it goes well with Smith. Or what about Rose? Willow (I personally love Willow, but I can't use it).

I really like Calum! I don't think it's very popular? Plus Callum Smith sounds very nice.
Or what about Noah? William? Leo?

OneMagnumisneverenough Thu 21-Apr-16 23:58:08

Amelia and Callum both go, similar suggestions that are maybe a bit more unusual:

Amira
Marina
Meredith
Melody
Carla
Liberty

Cormac
Keir
Cathal
Logan
Gregor/Gregory
Emerson

albertcampionscat Fri 22-Apr-16 07:10:10

Hepzibah

ABitAsleep Fri 22-Apr-16 10:04:53

Ashleigh Smith
Abigail Smith
Holly Smith
Helena Smith
Elena Smith
Ellen Smith
Erin Smith
Natasha Smith (I know one and it suits her well smile )
Natalie Smith
Daisy Smith
Clara Smith
Cora Smith
Tara Smith

Calvin Smith
Christian Smith
Kieron Smith
Kyle Smith
Warren Smith
Alexander Smith
Rory Smith
Marcus Smith
Richard Smith

TimeOfGlass Fri 22-Apr-16 10:12:37

Amelia and Callum both go nicely. I didn't realise that Callum was a popular name?

One possible positive point about picking a popular first name here, is that it might make it harder for people to find your child on Google etc when they're older, which could give them a degree of anonymity.

MrsMarigold Fri 22-Apr-16 10:12:54

Smith is brilliant as it goes with everything - also great because you will always have your privacy as you'll always share the name with loads of others no matter how unusual your first name. In the digital age it's a winning surname.

Twooter Fri 22-Apr-16 10:15:01

I like alliterative names with common names eg serena smith, suzie smith, etc

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 22-Apr-16 10:18:57

Honor
Suzy
Romilly
Rufus
Rafaella
Gabriella
India
Fleur

Rufus
Kit
Edmund
Connor
Tobias
Silas

Sophronia Fri 22-Apr-16 11:14:53

Susannah
Clara
Emmeline
Juliet
Louisa
Matilda
Ramona
Freya
Josephine
Kezia
Lara
Madeline
Annabel
Rosanna
Zoe

hawkmcqueen Fri 22-Apr-16 13:33:52

Kitty Smith
Susanna Smith
Lily Smith

hiccup223 Fri 22-Apr-16 13:41:43

Thanks all, much appreciated.
Think I now have another 'possibles' list to put to DP. Amira definitely going on the list (- thank you Onemagnum) along with some of the others!!

TimeofGlass and MrsMarigold I never thought of the privacy point! Definitely makes me feel a little better about the surname.

♡ x

GoldPlatedBacon Fri 22-Apr-16 15:45:21

Amelia is very popular but on the other hand because it is the most popular girls name other Smith's probably haven't chosen it so by default it won't actually be that common.

Callum isn't too popular, how about Callan instead?

manicinsomniac Fri 22-Apr-16 20:38:22

I know 3 Amelia Smiths so, if you want something different, I would avoid Amelia!

Love Callum though and don't know many at all.

Astrid, Alexis, Angelica, April, Ariel, Bronte, Bryony, Bianca, Carys, Coralie, Clarissa, Celeste, Celia, Daphne, Dulcie, Esther, Fallon, Fenella, Fabia, Frances, Giselle, Genevieve, Hope, Harmony, Hester, Ingrid, Iona, Joanna, Katya, Lucinda, Larissa, Lorelai, Leonie, Mara, Maria, Melissa, Maeve, Nicole, Nadia, Noelle, Philippa, Polly, Rowena, Robina, Stephanie, Sylvia, Taryn,, Tamara, Tamsin, Verity, Vanessa, Xanthe

Ashton, Alistair, Adrian, Anthony, Blair, Bryn, Brodie, Caleb, Cosmo, Casper, Damien, Ellis, Emerson, Fergus, Gareth, Harley, Hugo, Inigo, Ivan, Jesse, Josiah, Jeremy, Joel, Lucian, Lysander, Monty, Micah, Nehemiah, Owen, Patrick, Rowan, Robin, Solomon, Titus, Teo, Vincent, Xavier

MWestie Fri 22-Apr-16 21:08:44

Agree with Twooter, think an alliterative name could definitely work. Sebastian Smith, Seraphina Smith smile

Skrewt Fri 22-Apr-16 21:14:28

Give a REALLY unusual middle name that they can add or not if they feel their name is too common. Like Turnip....or Starlight.

MWestie Fri 22-Apr-16 21:28:05

Susannah Smith. Alexander Smith, nn Xander...

LadyAntonella Sat 23-Apr-16 11:40:32

I love pp's suggestion of India Smith for a girl.

Ivy Smith
Romily Smith
Violet Smith

Felix Smith
Rory Smith
Patrick Smith
James Smith

CanadaMoose Sat 23-Apr-16 17:32:20

What if you put a twist on it to make it non-British? Amelie is lovely.
I don't think Callum is too popular and it would work!

princessdave Mon 25-Apr-16 10:07:41

I'm a Smith too by marriage - I didn't consider the privacy aspect although it's a good point from another poster! Funnily enough I don't think there are any other Smith children at the nursery but we went with Elodie and Felix. Outside the top 100, easy to spell and pronouce (we've found) and hopefully won't have another in their class. I went through school known as First Name, Surname Initial as there were so many of us....

I also liked Camille, Celine, Sabine, Francine and Delphine. We only had Felix for a boy so that was easy (and it was outside the Top 100 when he was born). I quite liked Rory as DD adores Rory McIllroy. Then again I also liked Percy and Quentin which everyone made hmm faces about.

yourmum1234 Mon 25-Apr-16 12:08:21

the names that will go with smith are Shaniqua, Sharica, sharkisha, hope, boom, getting started, password

Gummibaers Mon 25-Apr-16 14:58:50

Lots of great suggestions already. I'd choose a classic but not too popular name (outside top 250 or so) to avoid sharing the same name with others (I know SO many Steve Smiths for example..!)

I really like

Celine Smith
Violet Smith

Casper Smith
Quentin Smith

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now