Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

poppy

(21 Posts)
Brightside65 Tue 19-Apr-16 07:26:48

I like the name but does it sound too child like? Thinking more of how suitable it is when an adult.

sonlypuppyfat Tue 19-Apr-16 07:33:36

Nice for a baby I wouldn't want it as an adult. But then I'm not keen on any name that ends in y or ie. I've got a name that people shorten then add ie to and I hate it

Gummibaers Tue 19-Apr-16 08:19:23

Really dislike it, sorry.

Sounds too cutesy and too close to poopy to me.

Itinerary Tue 19-Apr-16 09:29:58

It's a lovely name and suitable for any age.

Seeyounearertime Tue 19-Apr-16 09:32:41

I love Poppy, my daughters middle name is Poppy.
We picked it specifically so she has a choice when shes older with what name she wants to use. her first name is quite old fashioned and formal, her middle name is, i think, a bit more fun.

Imnotacelebgetmeouttahere Tue 19-Apr-16 09:39:38

My husband was tasked with naming our daughter and chose poppy. Initially I hated it as thought it was too babyish and not suitable for an adult, I even felt a bit embarrassed when people asked her name. Now she's 3 and I love it! It really suits her and I don't think an adult called Poppy is odd or not suitable smile

ABitAsleep Tue 19-Apr-16 09:55:14

I love it, but i agree that it is cute and suitable for a child, but not so much for an adult. Try and imagine the name in various jobs - Senior Executive Poppy Smith, Prime Minister Poppy Smith... For some things it doesn't really work with Poppy, but would be more suitable for a 'traditional' name. I know she could be the one to break boundaries, etc, etc, but you know what i mean.

Sophiesmummie Tue 19-Apr-16 10:18:28

Dislike it, sorry. Poppy sounds so cutesy and babyish mabybe because it's similar to poppet. I'd prefer to have a more elegant sounding name personally.

babyblabber Tue 19-Apr-16 10:27:51

i love it but DH vetoed it. i think by the time this generation grows up names like Poppy will just be normal for adults

littlejeopardy Tue 19-Apr-16 10:34:02

I really like it. Would have used it for my DD but our friends have a little girl Poppy. Also whilst the Poppy we know is cute, she is also funny, bold and determined. So I now see it as a strong name. Its people that give names meaning in the end.

Sophronia Tue 19-Apr-16 10:41:13

Don't like it, sorry. I do know a 24 year old Poppy though and it suits her.

Grufalosfriend Tue 19-Apr-16 11:02:06

I don't like Poppy at all, just don't think it sounds very elegant or beautiful.

PinkPjamas Tue 19-Apr-16 11:12:27

I like it BUT, when I was younger I used to work in a pub and we all used to go for a drink after work to the strip club across the road, as it was the only place open after hours. Over three years there were three strippers there named Poppy I assume as their chosen 'dancer name'.

I am trying to think of a name that would have Poppy as a shorter/nickname to it.

chillycurtains Tue 19-Apr-16 11:15:30

I know a teenage Poppy and it suits her and her age just fine. She isn't a particularly cute girly teen either.

WanderingTrolley1 Tue 19-Apr-16 11:38:17

I adore Poppy.

My DD was going to be Poppy, until DH said no.

Brightside65 Tue 19-Apr-16 12:06:06

Thanx all, it's my DD who loves it I'm just not sure.

I'm not interested in how it sounds in a job as I don't think anyone was refused a job based on their name but it's more as an adult.

Not keen on having it as a middle because I know lots of people who's parents said they can choose to use their middle name as an adult but I don't know of many people who actually do this.

LadyAntonella Tue 19-Apr-16 12:12:10

I don't like it sorry. It's nice for a child or teenager / young adult, but possibly not great on the majority of 45 year olds IMHO.

OneMagnumisneverenough Tue 19-Apr-16 12:18:01

I don't like it for all the reasons given, however I agree that by the time this generation are adults, the workplaces will be full of Poppys, Mollys, Daisys etc.

I have a preference for stringer rather than pretty names myself so I guess there is always an element of taste. You also get it the other way round where people thing a name it "too big" a name for a baby/child but you are an adult longer than you are a child so I'd always err in that direction tbh. Or choose a "grown up" name with a cute nn.

Ludways Tue 19-Apr-16 16:00:08

I don't like it but it's a normal name nowadays, I wouldn't think it was 'out there' at all. I'm f you like it, use it.

heron98 Tue 19-Apr-16 16:11:12

I'm 34 and called Poppy.

I don't think it's held me back. Although I am yet to run for Prime Minister...

septembersunshine Thu 21-Apr-16 17:19:52

I know a grown-up Poppy in her late thirties. TBH it's never crossed my mind that her name was anything but nice. She gets Pops a lot. She used to run an art gallery and is funny and sweet. You grow into whatever name you have - if you like Poppy then go for it! (I also know a handful of little girl Poppy's and they are all lovely little girls).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now