Talk

Advanced search

If YOU have an Evie

(52 Posts)
Jenkins38 Sun 17-Apr-16 12:41:19

Is she happy with her name? I have a wonderful 7 year-old Eve nn Evie, my only dd.

The name gets a regular bashing on MN and is often described as being one of those blurghh names "oh not another one". Posters say things like "beware that name might become the new Evie". My heart sinks every time I read another comment like that. Feel like I've messed up and she's stuck with it for life. I hear the name a lot - always another Evie at soft play or the park etc.

She was very nearly an Elizabeth which is much loved on here. Always wanted a dd called Lucy but sis got in there first so we used Evie. After joining Mumsnet I feel like I've called her a Tracey type name. My taste is much more Catherine, Charlotte, Harriet type names.

Obviously nothing I can do about it, it's up to her what she does with her name - just want to feel better about it I guess. Her middle name is 'trendy' too and also gets negative comments on here.

Jenkins38 Sun 17-Apr-16 12:42:31

I would NEVER tell her I feel like this though.

Afreshstartplease Sun 17-Apr-16 12:44:01

Cloud be worse she could be Evie-Mae

sparkle789 Sun 17-Apr-16 12:45:18

We nearly called dd1 Evie. I really like the name and only know of one so I don't think it's overused

Thefitfatty Sun 17-Apr-16 12:46:37

Mines an Evie, and I've honestly never met another one and I get compliments on the name. To be fair, I'm living the UAE and from Canada where the name isn't popular at all. It was actually British friends of mine that recommend the name (much as they recommend mumsnet).

Frankly, I've met so many Sophie's, Sophia's and Charlotte's I wonder if there are any other girls names?

MrsSimonNeil Sun 17-Apr-16 12:47:36

Well I have an Evelyn nn Evie, she is 12 and it was very uncommon then. I know how you feel when you here people describing it in a negative way. In my opinion it is still a beautiful name and that's why it's become so popular!

I'm probably showing my age but I always the at show The House of Elliot set in the 1920s and there were two beautiful, strong independent sisters named Bea and Evie. That's what I think of when I here the name Evie smile

DropYourSword Sun 17-Apr-16 12:48:16

Don't worry about it OP. I see some ridiculous comments about baby names on here. There will never be 100% consensus on a name. If you like her name, that's ALL that matters.
I'm due my first baby in a couple of weeks. I have one boys name and one girls name picked out. I love them, and so does DH. If I were to canvas MN opinion I know that they'd be slated by most some, and others would say they liked. Your daughter would still be nameless now if you waited to find something no-one had a bad word to say about.

MrsSimonNeil Sun 17-Apr-16 12:49:01

Argh excuse the typos, I wish we could edit posts blush

Botchit Sun 17-Apr-16 12:53:37

I personally would prefer Eve and then use the nickname Evie but it's not a name that I have strong feelings about one way or the other. I only know one Evie, a bright, lovely 8 year old. It's not a name that I would judge you on!

Names are only important to a certain point anyway. You get to know the person and their name is really irrelevant. I know a very successful and beautiful Tracey; it certainly hasn't held her back in any way. Be proud of her name, you chose it because you liked it and your opinion is as valid as the next persons.
Anyway, I don't have an Evie so shouldn't be answering your thread, sorry!
I'm not wild about Elizabeth, bit boring 😬

makingmiracles Sun 17-Apr-16 12:55:48

I have one, can't be that common as she is the only one at her infants with the name

Jenkins38 Sun 17-Apr-16 12:58:15

Thanks all.

Well mine is the only one in her junior school of 180 children, but on here posters often talk about 4 per class.

BoboBunnyH0p Sun 17-Apr-16 12:59:47

DD middle name is Evangeline it was a possible for her first name and she would have had nn Evie which I think is very pretty and was glad 2nd was a DS because we gave DD both of the girls names we loved. Incidentally I have seen DS name slated here but I couldn't care less.

MaisieDotes Sun 17-Apr-16 13:02:02

I don't have an Evie but I do have a Lily so can relate. DD is nearly 15 though. She loves her name.

I myself have a name that is very common now but almost didn't exist in the 80s when I was a child.

I would have given my eye teeth to be called something "normal" like Tracy!

UntilTheCowsComeHome Sun 17-Apr-16 13:07:39

I know how you feel. When we named DS1 14 years ago his name was considered unusual and I'd only heard of a few adults called it.

Then about 5/6 years ago it became really popular and actually rather 'chavvy'
I work in a shop near a bad area and lots of the customers were coming in with the name tattooed on them.

I still love the name but hate that it's going to be associated with a certain era and become a bit of a Tracey/Wayne name.

NNalreadyinuse Sun 17-Apr-16 13:15:24

My dd is Evangeline. Tbh we don't abbreviate it simply because I love the full version so much and cannot see the point of picking a name and then calling your child something entirely different.
That said, Evie is a lovely nn. When you think about it, most kids have fairly well known names and it isn't a problem. I have met fewer Evies than Charlottes for example (also a lovely name). Their mums don't seem to worry about it being a popular choice.

Tiggeryoubastard Sun 17-Apr-16 13:18:56

I know 3 Eves. One in their 20's the other two under ten. None are Evie, one was called that by someone and the parents made their view clear. Eve is lovely Evie isn't. I can see their point on that.

AndersArms Sun 17-Apr-16 13:29:38

I have an Evie. She's one of 2 in her year at school (an intake of 75) . We named her Evie because we loved the name. We come across other Evies from time to time but certainly not every other child and no one we know socially. DS1 has a much less common name (just inside top 100) and we know more of his name. It's just one of those things. If you like it, use it.

Itinerary Sun 17-Apr-16 13:37:06

Even the most popular names don't usually end up with "4 in a class". I saw some stats a while ago, and if I remember rightly, about 1 per cent of girls (so 0.5 per cent of children) have the number 1 name.

To get 4 girls in a class of 30 boys and girls, you'd need 4/15 girls to be called "Evie", which would need 26 per cent of all girls born that year to be named Evie!

MissWimpyDimple Sun 17-Apr-16 13:41:08

Unfortunately we do have 3 Evies, an Ava, and an Eva in DDs year 4.

But it's not a problem and I think it's just how it works. DDs middle name is Eve. I love it.

There are also 3 Lily's and 3 Isabelle's

MissWimpyDimple Sun 17-Apr-16 13:41:26

That's in the year not the class!

ChangedDays Sun 17-Apr-16 13:58:13

Love Evie! Never heard anything bad about it.
Don't like Elizabeth tbh.
Don't worry about what people on an anonymous forum think flowers

igglepiggleisanarsehole Sun 17-Apr-16 15:00:45

Expecting myself and considering Evie if it's a girl. I wouldn't be too worried about what some snobs on the internet think.

AutumnRose1988 Sun 17-Apr-16 15:15:28

Firstly, Evie is a lovely name and is popular for a reason but it's not popular in epic proportions. Nor is a name that is going to fade away after the fad and never return. It's a beautiful classic name that will suit someone at any stage of life.

You have to remember that when you are reading MN and you are reading a lot of opinions all at once. Also, most of us are women who are frantically trying to find that all important baby name and the odd name might seem to be getting some flack but this is by a very very small percentage of the population who have baby names on the brain quite a lot so are bound to have stronger opinions. Although it can seem like they are being a little harsh, it's due to the forum and circumstances so don't take it to heart! A name isn't everything and Evie will most certainly not encounter any problems due to her name which is a big thing to consider too.

AutumnRose1988 Sun 17-Apr-16 15:18:49

And someone having an opinion is not them being a snob-they just have a different opinion to you on a forum which is designed for them to air their opinion. MN is not to be taken seriously, it's meant to be lighthearted.

Clarathemagnificent Sun 17-Apr-16 15:19:08

I have a bunny rabbit called Evie <not helpful>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now