Talk

Advanced search

Lindsay (male) and Lindsey (female)

(13 Posts)
Saxonanglo Fri 15-Apr-16 21:54:05

During the last century it was well known that the name Lindsay has been the spelling for boys and Lindsey the spelling for girls. Unfortunately I see that in recent years parents have ignored this difference and so boys have been given the girl version and girls the boy version. I just wonder whether this has been by design or ignorance. The least parents could do is give their children names that denote the right gender.

AuntieStella Fri 15-Apr-16 21:56:25

It's not particularly recent. I'm over 50 and the use of either spelling for either sex has been around since at least when my generation was born.

BigGlasses Fri 15-Apr-16 22:28:06

The male Lindsays that I know are both Lindsay though obviously an example of 2 isn't much. The females are Lindsey, Linzi and Lynsey.

JessieMcJessie Sat 16-Apr-16 04:32:52

People can spell names however they want. There are no rules, only inventions. HTH.

JessieMcJessie Sat 16-Apr-16 04:33:23

Bah, conventions not inventions!

GerundTheBehemoth Sat 16-Apr-16 04:57:11

I remember a female Lindsay in an Iris Murdoch novel that must have been from the 1960s.

albertcampionscat Sat 16-Apr-16 10:10:38

It's more sexism, I think. Boys' names that are close to girls' names get ditched because parents worry that their sons will get bullied for having a girly name.

GoldPlatedBacon Sat 16-Apr-16 15:57:39

Recent years??? It's not been a popular name for girls since the 80s and I very rarely come across males with the name (and those I have are well into their 60s).

FlappyRose Sat 16-Apr-16 16:10:52

I'm a Lindsay and I never realised I had a boys' name. I was named after Lindsay Wagner who was born in 1949 (thanks Wikipedia). I think you're a bit late with your overreaction, OP.

RiverTam Sat 16-Apr-16 16:15:27

I know a 6yo female Lindsay and its a female family name so this can't be recent.

Wikkywikky Sat 16-Apr-16 16:29:28

I'm a Lindsay and don't really care that it's the male spelling. My parents were aware and just preferred it. I prefer the spelling I've got too. I'm definitely not a boy.

Sammysquiz Sat 16-Apr-16 21:26:31

I'm a female Lindsay too <waves at FlappyRose and Wikkywikky> - my parents also chose it because they preferred the spelling. They wouldn't have given a toss about whether it was traditionally a male name centuries ago!

Trills Sat 16-Apr-16 21:32:39

The world will cave in if everyone doesn't have a name where you can immediately tell their gender.

I'm a proud owner of a gender-neutral name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now