Talk

Advanced search

Emme & Immie

(21 Posts)
countrytweed Thu 14-Apr-16 14:29:24

Bit of a dilemma... expecting a baby in June (not sure of sex) and DH and I had decided on Emilia if it's a girl, shortened to Emme (pronounced Emmy), which is a family name. In Jan my SIL had a girl and named her Imogen, and now calls her Immie. She has/had no idea about our Emme plans. Will there be too much confusion with cousins having v similar names... or am I over-thinking it?!

NewStartNewName Thu 14-Apr-16 14:33:02

You could use Millie as a nn instead?

Vixxfacee Thu 14-Apr-16 14:34:46

2 different names and the nicknames may not stick. Even if they do I think it's fine!

ABitAsleep Thu 14-Apr-16 14:47:01

No, thats fine! Their 'full' names are completely different, so any nicknames are completely fine!

LittleBoat Thu 14-Apr-16 14:52:05

Sorry, but the names will stick and they're just too similar. Unfortunate for you, but you need different name.

BendydickCuminsnatch Thu 14-Apr-16 14:53:16

Nah that's fine! DN is Abby and if we have a girl she'll be Adelaide so might get Addy. People will just deal with it.

JokesLOL Thu 14-Apr-16 14:53:50

Not a problem if you ask me. You have my permission wink grin

DerelictMyBalls Thu 14-Apr-16 15:20:24

No, they will be fine together.

Emme pronounced Emmy seems very popular all of a sudden. Has a celebrity recently called their baby this?

moggle Thu 14-Apr-16 15:54:35

How much will they see each other? Is it a couple of times a year thing, or will they both be being cared for MIL, etc?
People are saying the nicknames may not stick - but Immie is already Immie, and it sounds like you will use Emme day to day and not Emilia so I think they will stick.
I dunno really though. Some people don't care about this kind of thing, and some do. Which kind of person are you? and which is your SIL?

ABitAsleep Thu 14-Apr-16 16:02:06

I know of sisters called Milly and Tillie - Yours will be cousins are are nowhere near as similar/bad/wierd as that!

moggle Thu 14-Apr-16 16:37:15

ABit oh that is unfortunate... but at least Amelia and Matilda sound fine together ... Would take some pretty sophisticated planning to avoid that one, i don't think I would have noticed the potential problem in the post natal fug!

countrytweed Thu 14-Apr-16 16:39:54

NewStartNewName
Hmm, not sure about Millie - also it's my mum's step-granddaughter's name (if a step-granddaughter is even a thing...)

countrytweed Thu 14-Apr-16 16:46:23

DerelictMyBalls
J-Lo had an Emme a few years ago, or maybe people are shortening Emilia Clarke's name (GoT fans)? Emme's a family name for me, I'm kinda annoyed it's getting more common! When I was in my teens and 20s, I wanted to name my daughter Grace (also a family name), then everyone decided it was their favourite name too... angry

EleanorofCastile Thu 14-Apr-16 16:48:14

If they were sisters it would be a bit daft but fine for cousins.

Emilia and Imogen are lovely names in their own right though, so maybe as they grow up they won't be shortened that much anyway.

countrytweed Thu 14-Apr-16 16:53:10

moggle
They will see each other a lot, we're a very close family... holidays together etc. Therein lies the problem. If it was a few times a year, not sure I'd worry so much. As for being one of 'those people' who care, I'd probably say I wasn't, but secretly know that I was. If we had a back-up name we liked a lot, then I'd be tempted to do that, but we can't agree on anything else! Maybe I just need to buy a big book of baby's names...confused

countrytweed Thu 14-Apr-16 16:56:10

Thanks everyone else for your comments... and that's a good point that Emme might not stick anyway if they prefer Emilia. And hey, if it's a boy, we have no issue! Name picked, no one else has it! grin

SuburbanRhonda Thu 14-Apr-16 16:57:19

I wanted to name my daughter Grace (also a family name), then everyone decided it was their favourite name too

What's a "family name" exactly? Surely anyone is entitled to use any name they want? x

SuburbanRhonda Thu 14-Apr-16 16:58:33

Not sure what that x is doing there. That'll teach me to text and MN at the same time blush

countrytweed Thu 14-Apr-16 17:25:50

SurburbanRhonda
I just mean that I've got a few relatives with that name (basically explains where I got the ideas from and why I was and am especially keen to use them, I like a bit of tradition). Absolutely doesn't mean no one else can use them. I was just joking that I thought I was being original, but then a lot of other people decided to go for them too. If that makes sense.

emmaluvseeyore Fri 15-Apr-16 23:52:53

I have a cousin called Jemma and the only time it was a problem was when our shared grandma used to accidentally call us the wrong name. That said, she often used to call me another cousin's name that is completely different! I really wouldn't be concerned by it. I think they are sufficiently different.

BoboBunnyH0p Sat 16-Apr-16 05:14:18

It's fine they are cousins not sisters. I have an Imogen and her nn was Immie until she started school and her bf was Amy. She decided that she didn't like Immie anymore as it sounded to similar to Amy! So she is Imogen but heading into teenage years I think the nn Iggy may stick, her friend calls her this and she seems to like it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now