Talk

Advanced search

Sophia - is it just a no go now?

(58 Posts)
AutumnRose1988 Thu 14-Apr-16 09:50:18

I have managed to put myself back to the start with my second twin girls name. I have picked my dream names should they be a boy and a girl and have a second boys name ready to use should I have two boys but cannot decide on a girls name to have waiting in the wings should I have two girls.

So, the name Sophia. Being from the era of Amy, Jodie, Tracy etc I came across Sophia a couple of years ago and thought it was beautiful then to my horror was informed that it was super popular (which I wasn't aware of as had never encountered anyone with a child with that name).

Now, my question, to how much of an extent do you feel this name is used/over used? Will I have a child who shares their name with 5 other girls in the same class? Am I falling into the Ava/Mia/Emily/Isabelle trap that I was determined not to fall into? Will it be that popular that it will be met with an eye roll?

louisejxxx Thu 14-Apr-16 09:53:20

I work at a baby swim school...It was definitely the most popular girl's name in our most recent term of lessons by a country mile. I can think of 6 of them off the top of my head.

manicinsomniac Thu 14-Apr-16 09:54:15

A no go? Not at all!

I teach two Sophias (both different ages and one is Sofia). Even the very, very high ranking names rarely come up more than twice in a class, ime (exceptions in the time I've been teaching being Isabella, Georgina, Frederick and Annabelle - but that's the demographic more than anything!)

It's a lovely name. Don't miss out on using it if you love it!

AutumnRose1988 Thu 14-Apr-16 09:59:07

I am considering the name 'Anasophia' too (all one word) what does everyone think? X

Thank you for your comments so far peeps!

Snapandcrackle Thu 14-Apr-16 09:59:29

It's a lovely name, that's why it's popular. If you like it, use it.

AutumnRose1988 Thu 14-Apr-16 10:01:12

Snapandcrackle your user name has just made me crave Rice Crispies!

Duckdeamon Thu 14-Apr-16 10:01:26

Like sophia, and anna, but don't like anasophia - sounds like two names mashed together or a european city and would be hard to spell!

Nothing wrong with having a popular name!

crapfatbanana Thu 14-Apr-16 10:07:11

I honestly wouldn't worry if you love the name. Nobody can predict which names will rise in popularity. You could pick something you think is uncommon and within a few years it's racing up the top ten - as happened to me with my first DD.

Sophia is a very beautiful and elegant name.

ABitAsleep Thu 14-Apr-16 10:08:32

I wouldn't go for Sophia - but then again, i wouldn't go for anything in the top 100.

I like Anna-Sophia, but not as one word. It kind of just looks odd and made up when it is squished together.

cheapandcheerful Thu 14-Apr-16 10:10:29

I've been teaching for ten years (primary, in the South East) and never taught a Sophia or a Sofia.

StarOnTheTree Thu 14-Apr-16 10:13:51

Sophia is gorgeous and I've only ever met one. What's your other girl's name?

Chillyegg Thu 14-Apr-16 10:17:12

I feel like Anna - Sophia sounds like a Disney cartoon name.
How about Saffina/Sareena/Siama

harryhausen Thu 14-Apr-16 10:18:16

I think it depends on area.

My dd is 11 and ds 9. I only know of one Sophia in my dd's class.

I agree with use it even though it's popular. I chose an incredibly popular name for ds. We had family reasons for using it. We very nearly didn't go for it because of its popularity, but went ag ad in the end. In reality there is one other in his class but it doesn't matter. It wouldn't matter to me if there were more. Ds is his own name.

When we chose for dd, her name was in the top 10 (again not chosen because of this). She's the only one in her school at the moment, although I'm sure this will change at secondary.

It depends on how much 'not common' means to you. I know people in my RL who have tried hard to find an unusual name and then gutted yo find another at a baby group etc. I always think going with a name you love is the best way.

TimeOfGlass Thu 14-Apr-16 10:32:45

I know a Sophia and a Sofia,both primary school age. I don't know any others.

I'm not keen on Anasophia. It looks like you've mashed Anna and Sophia together, and it's not as pretty as either name.

I would go with Sophia if you really love it.

mrsschu Thu 14-Apr-16 10:54:20

No top 10 name is going to be a "no go" IMO. Yes you may come across other Sophia's but I doubt there would be 10 in her class in primary school for example! DD has a top 10 name and in reality we rarely come across other kids with the same name and we're in London. Sophia is lovely, classic and classy. Anasophia is a no however IMO.

MitzyLeFrouf Thu 14-Apr-16 10:56:14

Anasophia looks like a medical term. Something sinus related perhaps.

FloweryTwat Thu 14-Apr-16 10:56:53

I have an Amelia, aged 7. There are no other Amelia's in her school. There are however 3 Amelie's that I know of.

You can never tell what names will crop up. If you love it have it!

Boogers Thu 14-Apr-16 10:59:56

No Sophias in DC's classes, though there are a few Olivias, Megans, Caitlins and Rubys.

StarOnTheTree Thu 14-Apr-16 11:13:51

DD2 has a top 20 name and in her 16 years we've only met a handful of children with her name. There's never been another one in her class.

Duckdeamon Thu 14-Apr-16 11:16:06

I have a top ten name from another era! There were loads of us at school and beyond, and now at work there are 4 of us! I've always quite liked it, we joke about it and are like a little club!

MitzyLeFrouf Thu 14-Apr-16 11:20:56

Sometime you can have a Top 10 name in your own country and then go and live in another country and have everyone say 'oh what a beautiful and unusual name'. grin

Duckdeamon Thu 14-Apr-16 11:50:09

Eg Isla is common in the UK but sounds hippyish and odd to spanish speakers!

Itinerary Thu 14-Apr-16 12:46:58

I don't know any young Sophias. It's a lovely name.

Not keen on Anasophia. How about Anastasia?

wigglesrock Thu 14-Apr-16 12:56:58

I have a Sofia (she's almost 11), I don't know any her own age, I've 2 others daughters, the youngest being 5 and I know there's two Sophias in her school year. The thing is you could pick a different name and there could still be someone else in her class/friendship group/ neighbour with the same idea. There are two children I know that are called quite an unusual name, they are the same age, live in the same area and will probably end up in the same school.

My other two daughters also have top ten (where I live) names, I picked their names solely because we loved them and I have never regretted it. One of my other daughters is called Anna grin

marmiteontoast76 Thu 14-Apr-16 13:11:01

There is one Sophia in my ds's nursery of 70 children. There is one Sofia in my dd's school of 320 children.

There are no '5 in a class' names in the whole of the school. One class has 2 Rubys and one has 2 Maxs, but that's about it.
Bit different to when I was at school when there were 3 Claires and 3 Marks in a class. More diluted now I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now