Talk

Advanced search

Ray as middle name?

(25 Posts)
FifiRebel Thu 14-Apr-16 09:09:02

I am expecting my first baby (a boy) in July. I will be calling him Luca, which complements my Italian surname nicely.

I would like to include an abbreviation of my grandad's name in Luca's name. His name is Ramon but I prefer Ray (think Ramon would sound a bit pretentious with Luca).

What are your thoughts on Luca Ray? I think it's cute but I'm worried people might think I'm trying to have an abbreviated first name (definitely a big no for me). Not sure if Ray has same connotations as abbreviated names with Jay/May etc?

Thanks in advance!

originalmavis Thu 14-Apr-16 09:11:50

I love Luca. Luca Ray sounds like a weapon!

People rarely use middle names anyway (unless your child is doing something naughty in the supermarket and gets the full name callout).

Love Luca though...

AutumnRose1988 Thu 14-Apr-16 09:29:37

Love Luca and so jealous that you have a lovely surname to go with it hehe xx

Luca is lovely Hun but Ray just isn't special enough to go with it and originalmavis made a good point with the weapon reference. It's also a bit ...hillbilly...and I'm not saying that is a bad thing but it's kind of mixing up themes. Luca with a lovely Italian surname isn't in keeping with Ray which you would think would go with a name like Billy or Bobby.

I would use something like Marcos, Valentino, Andreas, Emiliano...I'm just loving the italianness lol x

mrsschu Thu 14-Apr-16 09:31:39

Luca Ramon is lovely! Love the name Luca btw. I don't like Ray and don't think it sounds great with Luca but it's a middle name that he will probably never use so it really doesn't matter IMO. I have an awful middle name picked by my late grandmother but I never use it so I don't care about it.

YvaineStormhold Thu 14-Apr-16 09:32:18

I just think of Voodoo Ray.

Sorry, that's probably not helpful.

MrsSteptoe Thu 14-Apr-16 09:33:25

My first thought was that it's rather an old man's name (as in abbreviation of Raymond). You get lots of villains and cops in seventies shows called Ray. Of course, I'm showing my age and most younger people would probably think of it as light ray(?)

I think the traditional southern states name (Billy Ray, Stevie Ray) is also a very valid point.

crapfatbanana Thu 14-Apr-16 09:52:50

Luca Ramon is awesome. Not pretentious at all.

Sophronia Thu 14-Apr-16 10:06:47

I prefer Luca Ramon and don't think it's pretentious

MitzyLeFrouf Thu 14-Apr-16 10:54:58

I actually love the name Ray as a stand alone name but in this case I'd just go with Luca Ramon.

FifiRebel Thu 14-Apr-16 13:23:24

Thanks for comments so far! Quite surprised at the love for Luca Ramon so definitely having a rethink smile

My grandad hates being called Ramon so he would definitely prefer it if I went for full version...

lornathewizzard Thu 14-Apr-16 15:59:44

I like Ray bit then it was my dad's name and is my DB and DN name (well, they are all Raymond) ! We may use it as a middle name but we have no first name decided yet so not helpful!

lornathewizzard Thu 14-Apr-16 16:02:00

As it happens Lucas is a first name we might use so Lucas Ray for us maybe

Shemozzle Fri 15-Apr-16 00:09:20

I'm surprised at the negative opinions so far, I think it sounds out really well, and Ray is a cool but beautiful middle name I've considered (but for a girl). I don't think of a weapon I think of the sun. I do think Luca Ramon works too though.

lottiegarbanzo Fri 15-Apr-16 00:21:19

Do you mean it might be mistaken for a hyphenated first name? As in Lily-May?

I think those are more common for girls, prepared to be corrected on that. Boys more likely to be called by initials, like AJ or TJ (not LR though). I have heard of Rae as the second part of hyphenated girls' names and do wonder if that's becoming fashionable.

Ray is an old man name to me, like Roy, Vince, Victor but probably not to your son's generation. It has cool connotations too, like Man Ray (an even older reference!) and rays of light.

lottiegarbanzo Fri 15-Apr-16 00:25:52

Ah right, Billy Ray etc. I don't think Luca Ray has the same vibe as that.

JessieMcJessie Sat 16-Apr-16 04:46:35

Do you mean hyphenated when you say "abbreviated"? Like John-Paul, Ellie - Mae etc?

I don't think people will think that unless you habitually call him by both names.

Out of interest, how does your Gd pronounce Ramon? Is he on the Italian side of the family? I always thought Ramon was a Spanish name, pron Rah- MOAN?

FifiRebel Sat 16-Apr-16 05:48:00

Hi Jessie - yes he pronounces it like that. He isn't on the Italian side, not sure why his mum went for that as his siblings have traditional British names

JessieMcJessie Sat 16-Apr-16 05:53:52

You're up early Fifi! Or not in UK? I am pregnant and have insomnia smile.

I suppose that if he pronounced it Rah- mon rather than Raymon, Ray is a less obvious derivative? But then maybe less obvious is a good thing.

I quite like the slightly American twist it gives to the name. Luca Ray would definitely be a good name for a musician.

AutumnRose1988 Sat 16-Apr-16 06:00:02

JessieMcJessie. I know the feeling :-( was up early with round ligament pain, feeling hungry and aching hips :-( just can't bring myself yet to pull myself out of bed and start the day confused

Judgeaway Sat 16-Apr-16 06:40:31

My Ds has Ray as his middle name after my grandad, prefer Ray to Raymond

FifiRebel Sat 16-Apr-16 07:35:45

Up early from the baby kicking...find it hard to doze back off! hmm

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. I think I'm now settled on Luca Ramon, much to my grandad's pleasure.

Sadmother Sat 16-Apr-16 07:39:24

Ray is cool. If your grandad prefers Ray, then that is a better tribute.

SavoyCabbage Sat 16-Apr-16 07:42:29

Oh good, it's really lovely. Even if it wasn't a family name it would be a cracking name.

allegretto Sat 16-Apr-16 07:47:41

Both are lovely but I think Luca Ramon is better.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sun 17-Apr-16 00:16:29

Luca Ray sounds like Bukaroo to my ears.
Luca Ramon is gorgeous, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now