Talk

Advanced search

Archer Benedict?

(18 Posts)
Cami12 Thu 14-Apr-16 06:49:45

I've been thinking recently about the name Archer for our blue bump. I'm sure I saw a thread on that name here but can't find it again now - so what do you think?
My mum's maiden name is Archer. My DH likes it too. I think it sounds warm and strong. We have a traditional Scottish sounding surname.
I'm only unsure as previously I have liked more traditional names- but I'm thinking that, with the many unusual names the next generation will be growing up with, this name will not stand out as too unusual?
(Benedict would be the middle name btw and is DH's grandad's name, which we won't use as a first name as neither of us is keen on Ben).

MoggieMaeEverso Thu 14-Apr-16 07:43:46

It's lovely.

Sophronia Thu 14-Apr-16 09:40:36

I'm not normally a fan of Archer but I like the fact that you have a family connection to the name.

Alex83 Thu 14-Apr-16 09:41:23

Lovely! I love Archer and it sounds great with Benedict. unusual but not whacky- perfect.

BroadcastHouse Fri 15-Apr-16 00:32:07

Love it.

Tiggeryoubastard Fri 15-Apr-16 00:42:24

Awful. If you must, then why not Benedictine Archer.

Itinerary Fri 15-Apr-16 00:51:37

Too surnamey IMHO.

Strokethefurrywall Fri 15-Apr-16 00:55:21

Love it, it's fabulous.

I'm a big fan of the surnames for first names and I have 2 boys with surnames for first names and a very Scottish surname. It works brilliantly.

Congratulations thanks

BoboBunnyH0p Fri 15-Apr-16 10:16:19

Love it, and love that it was your mmn.

DerelictMyBalls Fri 15-Apr-16 10:20:26

Archer always sounds to me like someone from Loughborough saying 'Archie'.

BendydickCuminsnatch Fri 15-Apr-16 19:45:10

Really like Archer! Benedict is not to my taste but I like the family connection.

BendydickCuminsnatch Fri 15-Apr-16 19:45:38

Also YES agree re all the unusual names point.

crayfish Fri 15-Apr-16 20:16:57

I'm not keen but it does have the family connection which makes it more acceptable (to me). Are you happy with Archie as a nn? Because that's what he will get.

SabineUndine Fri 15-Apr-16 20:48:48

You're not in the UK are you? There's a very long-running radio soap called 'The Archers'.

Cami12 Sun 17-Apr-16 04:52:38

Thanks everyone! Some really helpful comments. I am based in the UK Sabine but I didn't think The Archers was still very current. A few years ago I didn't much like the name Arthur because it only reminded me of Arthur Fowler from Eastenders! But now that association is long gone. So I was hoping the same is the case with Archer, especially another 10 yrs + from now. I can live with Archie I think Crayfish, it's a good point that he may well get that as a nn at school etc. I'm very close to my mum's family so am definitely emotionally attached to the name, great to hear that some of you love it! It's definitely on the short short list...

Sadmother Sun 17-Apr-16 05:03:47

Oh the Archers is very very current, where have you been hiding? wink I like the family connection, and I quite like each name individually, but I don't think the names go that well together, he sounds like a fat Tory.

Cami12 Sun 17-Apr-16 05:10:26

Haha a fat Torysmile Now you've said that I can't see any other image Sadmother!

Laquila Sun 17-Apr-16 05:24:52

I think it's a great combination. The Archers is indeed (inexplicably, IMO) popular but I didn't think of it when I saw the name.

Please don't call him Benedictine Archer though!...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now