Talk

Advanced search

Mia or Isabelle?

(44 Posts)
cheapcheaper Sat 09-Apr-16 10:14:48

just that smile thanks.

Oh, also is Mia too short to carry well into adulthood? Does it pass the 'high court judge test'? halo

SweetieDrops Sat 09-Apr-16 10:18:59

Mia. I think it's fine to carry into adulthood.

cheapandcheerful Sat 09-Apr-16 10:20:15

Mia

Sophronia Sat 09-Apr-16 10:26:22

Isabelle

cheapcheaper Sat 09-Apr-16 10:30:09

Thank you. I know both names are popular but I'm not too bothered by that. Which of these names is the 'stronger' name? I know they both have cutsey potential but which one sounds 'stronger' in your opinion?

cheapcheaper Sat 09-Apr-16 10:31:05

ha! Just saw your nn cheap grin

Cakescakescakes Sat 09-Apr-16 10:35:17

Isabelle. Every child I know with Mia gets it mis pronounced as there are a couple of ways to pronounce it eg Mia (like Mia Farrow) or My-a. Would be so annoying for them as they get older. But it is a beautiful name.

cheapandcheerful Sat 09-Apr-16 10:59:56

:D

That is the downside of Mia.

I'm a teacher and have a Mia, a Maya (pronounced May-ah) and another Maya (pronounced My-ah).

Every time I address any of them I have to pause for 5 seconds first to make sure I get their name correct.

Itinerary Sat 09-Apr-16 12:22:51

Isabelle

Chinks123 Sat 09-Apr-16 12:25:18

Mia!! You get the occasional "is it Mia or mya?" But people can mispronounce pretty much any name so I wouldn't worry about it smile

Icecappedpinetrees Sat 09-Apr-16 12:26:51

Mia

FaithAscending Sat 09-Apr-16 12:29:28

Isabelle. I think it'll last the rest of time better. For me, Mia is too trendy!

NotSpartacus Sat 09-Apr-16 12:34:04

I know two highly competent lawyers called Mia! I think it passes the high court judge test just fine!

cheapcheaper Sat 09-Apr-16 16:16:21

"I know two highly competent lawyers called Mia! I think it passes the high court judge test just fine!"

grin I knew I could rely on MN for insider info! My mind is still not made up. Dh leans towards Mia, i prefer Isabelle ever so slightly . But good to know that Mia is not considered to 'babyish' though I agree it is ever so trendy right now. Years ago there was a Swedish Mia on my course at Uni and I thought she had a fabulously cool name was a tad envious, she was gorgeous too. We were studying art & design. Would Mia work as a NN for Emily?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 09-Apr-16 16:22:59

Isabelle

ShesAGreatGas Sat 09-Apr-16 16:26:13

Mia

Its more womanly and less fussy than Isabelle.

dakin1 Sat 09-Apr-16 16:33:40

They are both really lovely names. Is she here yet? If not why not wait and see which one suits her?

NoCapes Sat 09-Apr-16 16:36:53

I have an Isobel but I love Mia
It doesn't go with our surname atall so we couldn't use it and I'm still very bitter
And the pronunciation really isn't an issue
Even with Isabelle you'll get "is it Isabelle or Isabella?"

nectarini1983 Sat 09-Apr-16 17:50:26

Mia!

Isabelle is meh!

LeonoraFlorence Sat 09-Apr-16 17:56:53

Isabelle smile

VenusInFauxFurs Sat 09-Apr-16 17:57:38

I came on to say that i love both those names. But then PPs brought up different pronunciations and I've realised I like Mee-a and am not so keen on My-a.

They're both beautiful non-weirdy names that will be entirely appropriate for a future Prime Minister.

If you're not planning any future children (and therefore needing to keep a name in reserve), Isabelle Mia works fine as a first and middle name.

bluespiral Sat 09-Apr-16 18:01:12

Mia sounds stronger to me. Definitely less fussy.

Also think there would be issues with Isabelle getting misspelled as Isobel / Isabel / Isobelle etc.

cheapcheaper Sat 09-Apr-16 18:02:25

I'm loving the responses thanks but no closer to making up my mind. Maybe Isabelle / Isabel is bait more fussy? I like the name Emily as well. Would Mia work as a nn for Emily? Alternatively if dd1 is a Mia could any potential future dd2 be an Emily?

stillsingingintherain Sat 09-Apr-16 18:03:03

I like both but I'd go for Mia, as although I like Isabelle/a , it is sooo popular. I'm a nanny and in the last yr my friends and I have looked after 6 Isabelle/a's!

wonderpants Sat 09-Apr-16 18:04:04

Isabelle will always be spelt wrong!

So I vote Mia Isobel (my preferred spelling)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now