Talk

Advanced search

DC2 first name being the same(ish) as DC1 middle name?

(9 Posts)
Popskipiekin Fri 08-Apr-16 10:48:27

We have a DS and I'm now pregnant with DC2 - don't know the gender yet. DS's middle name is Alexander (grandfather's name on both sides). If DC2 is a girl, we have always liked the NN Sasha but would like to call her the full name of Alexandra so she has options later on. What do you think - have we 'used up' that name and all variants by using it for our son? will people think we have no imagination? blush will hypothetical DD feel hard done by? All comments welcome - it's totally up in the air at the moment as I could be brewing a DS2 but DH and I are swithering. Thank you!

Sophronia Fri 08-Apr-16 15:14:32

I think it's fine.

ABitAsleep Fri 08-Apr-16 15:29:57

I wouldn't personally, becuase i would feel like they have to have a unique name.

I think Sasha on it's own would be fine, but Alexandra may feel elft out becuase she just has her brothers name.

However, on how many occasions does anyone actually use their middle name? I don't even use mine for formal certificates, etc, only when i actually have to.

AuntJane Fri 08-Apr-16 17:08:37

I used to know of brothers called Robert Alan and Alan (no MN).

cosytoaster Fri 08-Apr-16 17:17:21

I did this (because there were so few boys names we could agree on) and it's not been an issue or problem at all

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 08-Apr-16 17:19:01

I think I would if not inspired by anything else by the time she's born.

Popskipiekin Fri 08-Apr-16 17:53:58

Thank you everyone for the responses, v helpful and will perhaps stop me and DH going round in silly circles.

Lightbulbon Fri 08-Apr-16 17:55:13

No one else cares about middle names.

mrsschu Fri 08-Apr-16 20:55:00

It's absolutely fine. No one ever uses their middle name in my experience so it will be fine. Alexandra nn Sasha is nice. I've also heard Sasha used as a nn for Natasha.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now