Tristan or Felix - thoughts?

(63 Posts)
BettyBi0 Wed 06-Apr-16 14:47:11

I'm interested in hearing people's gut instinct on these 2 names. No matter how prejudiced, blunt, or irrational.

What kind of profession could you imagine either one having? I'm worried that they both sound a bit drippy or even faddy but there are so few names me and DP agree on!

bebo100 Wed 06-Apr-16 14:49:19

I like Felix.

Not keen on Tristian, but maybe that's because I had a supplier who was called that, and he was indeed 'drippy'.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Wed 06-Apr-16 14:50:15

Not keen on Tristan but love Felix.

TheNaze73 Wed 06-Apr-16 14:52:01

Felix for me. Tristan doesn't do it for me at all & sounds a bit like the name of someone who'd become the school spanner

ABitAsleep Wed 06-Apr-16 15:19:07

In my honest opinion they both come across as very camp! Felix is probably a bit worse than Tristan...

BettyBi0 Wed 06-Apr-16 15:45:01

Yeah I can kind of see the camp thing.

My first instinct for Felix was kind of a softy/nerdy type but maybe I've been swayed since by watching too much orphan black.

Itinerary Wed 06-Apr-16 15:57:11

I like both but slightly prefer Tristan.

MabelFurball Wed 06-Apr-16 16:23:59

Keep thinking of Felix the cat and don't like the name Tristan.

Ipanema01 Wed 06-Apr-16 16:57:01

I really really dislike Tristan and think it's drippy. Felix is quite a soft name but I like it, it's cool!

SpeakNoWords Wed 06-Apr-16 17:02:40

Neither sounds nerdy or drippy to me. Felix is immediately followed by "the cat" when I hear it, and it seems therefore more like the name of a pet. But, if I met a child called Felix I think I would probably get used to it fairly quickly. Tristan is a great name, would suit lots of different professions.

Babylove2015 Wed 06-Apr-16 17:05:05

I know one of both.

Tristan is a wet name and this Tristan ( early teens) is a nightmare brat to his parents and a total cry baby ( I mean every single time we see him). His younger sisters have much more maturity and guts then him.

Felix is late 20s/ early 30s, lives at home , we never thought he would ever get a job. Always hides in his bedroom ( everyone says it, not just my experince). By some miracle he has managed to get himself a part-time job that is not in a secure field of employment.

When I think of the name Felix, I think of Felix the cat.

17caterpillars1mouse Wed 06-Apr-16 17:07:26

I can't get past the cat association with. Felix.

I really like Tristan though I prefer the more unusual Tristram which has a romantic feel to it

2ManySweets Wed 06-Apr-16 17:09:53

I love both.

Felix is a very "happy" name and IME the two Tristan's I've met are cool guys both of who didn't want to go out with me but I'll let that drop ahem

If it helps Tristan is of Germanic origin and Felix Latin. Should you care wink

SpeakNoWords Wed 06-Apr-16 17:13:15

Tristan isn't Germanic, I thought, rather Celtic/Old Welsh?

BoboBunnyH0p Wed 06-Apr-16 17:56:47

Prefer Felix, Tristan to me says wanker (sorry) and also sounds like an estate agents or hair dressers name.

Winterdaisy Wed 06-Apr-16 18:28:05

Felix means happy and i see it very much as bold boys name. Like it a lot. Used by royal family in north Europe (Sweden I think??)

Tristran - does seem a bit wet to me and the one I know is a spoilt moaning child so maybe that clouds my opinion. I would expect a limp hand shake from a Tristan.

AmyInTheBoonies Wed 06-Apr-16 19:19:02

I love Tristan, it makes me think of Tristan and Isolde and seems like a romantic hero's name. But it all perception and lots of people seem to see it as a bit wet.

I like Felix too though it's more of a boyish and sweet name.

Stokey Wed 06-Apr-16 21:37:36

Dh vetoed Tristan right away as being too posh. I loved it.

Felix was on our boys list, we had girls bit I like them both. Felix is probably more used if that is a factor for you.

mrsschu Wed 06-Apr-16 21:43:21

Really like Felix. Would have been on my list for DS but my cousin used it first. I imagine a Felix to be intelligent and relaxed.

I really don't like Tristan, it sounds very weak to me.

DramaAlpaca Wed 06-Apr-16 22:08:04

Felix is hippy & quirky.

Tristan is posh & wet.

lljkk Wed 06-Apr-16 22:09:58

I have one... can be a crybaby but also a bit of a thug. We're not posh. smile

savasana Wed 06-Apr-16 22:14:11

Oh dear. I have a Tristan and I love it! He's a crazy noisy chaotic but lovely boy. Not in the slightest wet or drippy! Glad I didn't ask on here first...wink So yeah I prefer Tristan over Felix, although I do like Felix and don't immediately associate it with cat.

ChangedToday Thu 07-Apr-16 07:38:31

I know two of each. All positive. Nothing wet, posh or hippy about any of them or their families and backgrounds.
One Tristan is a bright boisterous schoolboy the others a determined scholar, now finally a Professor. Felix is a happy name for me, and the kids i know live up to that.

Olbersparadox Thu 07-Apr-16 08:42:01

Tristan is far from bosh.
Felix is ok.
I'm not keen on these names.

Sophronia Thu 07-Apr-16 10:02:27

I know a very non posh Tristan!

I'm not keen on either but if I had to pick I'd go with Tristan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now