Talk

Advanced search

Maddie on BC?

(22 Posts)
PregnantWithDC1 Sat 02-Apr-16 21:57:25

I absolutely love the name Maddie! It's my cousin's name, but we live far apart. However, I've always loved the name!

I'm not keen on Madison/Maddison (that's her full name)...

Madeline is nice, but I only like this spelling (the English way) - not the French 'Madeleine' (it's still nice, but I wouldn't use it).

Yes, I like Madeline, but DH struggles saying it (he stumbles in the middle!)

Would Maddie be okay? smile

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sat 02-Apr-16 23:05:51

Of course it would. I know someone who's just Val on their BC.

Sophronia Sat 02-Apr-16 23:33:03

I'd put Madeline on the bc but call her Maddie

trixymalixy Sun 03-Apr-16 07:19:19

I would put Madeline on the bc too. It gives her the option of a more "grown up" name when she's older.

gingerdad Sun 03-Apr-16 07:28:15

We put Madeleine on and she's known mostly as Maddy. But often known as madz. Also hate the ie on the end but that's just me.

I'd always put the longer name on the birth Cert.

DinosaursRoar Sun 03-Apr-16 07:37:58

I'd put Madeline on the BC and teach your DH to say it! As an adult it gives her more options, and everyone will assume it's a nickname as it's not really established as a name in it's own right.

gingerdad Sun 03-Apr-16 07:39:08

As for Madison. It comes from the crap movie splash.

OvariesForgotHerPassword Sun 03-Apr-16 07:40:47

Madison is on my birth certificate but I'm known exclusively as Maddy or Mads. I'd always suggest a long birth certificate name.

IvyRoseTree Sun 03-Apr-16 12:59:11

You could just have Maddie, but I'd use Madeline (it's really nice!)

IoraRua Sun 03-Apr-16 13:19:40

Another one here saying longer name on the birth cert. Of course you could put Maddie on the bc - you could put Twinkle, Hortensia or Adolfa there - but I wouldn't.

LifeCrossRoad Sun 03-Apr-16 13:22:32

If you want to call her Maddie, just put Maddie in the birth certificate. If she's always Maddie, being called Madeline at the doctors/job interviews schools is just comfusing at a time you don't want it.
Don't understand the mumsnet angst about needing a long name in the he birth certificate that is never used, especially if you don't want to use that name.

Should the Jacks/Marks/joe's in the world feel hard done by?

VinceNoirLovesHowardMoon Mon 04-Apr-16 05:15:05

Jack and Mark are full names confused (well I know jack is from John but that's a very old diminutive)
Joe should be Joseph on the birth certificate imo and maddie should be Madeleine or similar. Maddie sounds unfinished.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 04-Apr-16 05:38:20

Maddie is too nicknamey. Sounds unfinished to me too.

Marcipex Mon 04-Apr-16 08:05:51

It's lovely, but I'd put Madeline or Madeleine on the bc.

pilates Mon 04-Apr-16 09:48:30

Madeline on the bc and call her Maddie.

EnPapillot Mon 04-Apr-16 09:53:40

If her name is Maddie, just put Maddie on!

Agree with LifeCrossRoad

LaurieLemons Mon 04-Apr-16 10:05:47

Well I don't really see the point of a name you're not going to use on the BC but it's up to you. I'm sure she won't feel hard done by not having a full name so it's just what you prefer.

GingerLeaves Mon 04-Apr-16 10:09:45

If you're just going to call her Maddie, use just that smile however, I really like Madeline (I like this spelling too!)

mice Mon 04-Apr-16 10:23:07

My DS has a shortened name on his birth certificate as that is what we always intended to call him. And despite what it says on the birth certificate etc, Dr's and teachers have at times called him the full name. Ironically now, his "nickname" has become the full version of the name and at 18 he has said that he likes both names. So my opinion has possibly changed because at least having the full name on the birth certificate does give them the option when they are adults.

SpidersFromMars Mon 04-Apr-16 10:25:12

I'd put Madeline on the BC. Her dad doesn't have to pronounce her full name, and if he wants to, he can learn. It's easy.

I know a Madeline who goes by "Della" - using Madeline on the BC gives her more options and a more grown up sounding full name for professional situations later.

MadameDePompom Mon 04-Apr-16 11:04:23

Maddie is fine all by itself.

DinosaursRoar Mon 04-Apr-16 17:50:31

When people say "why put a name you won't use on her BC?" they are thinking purely of a little child - it doesn't matter if your Mum and Dad never say your full name, if you aspirations to the sort of career where "cutesy" names might be a hinderance, having the option for a grown up full name. Lots of people are called by one name at work and another, less formal name by all their friends and family.

If she doesn't feel the need for a 'formal' name, then she can just use Maddie all the time, but if she does, it'll be a right faff to change it to Madeline or something else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now