Talk

Advanced search

Isabel, Elisabeth, Lily

(30 Posts)
lostfortoys Fri 01-Apr-16 17:15:58

Please can you tell me which you prefer. Utterly stuck in a loop of possible names for dd2.

DD1 is an Emily.

Isabel
Lily
Elisabeth

I love Isabel the most but not terribly keen on Bella or Belle as nicknames.
I like Lily but wonder if it is too 'cute'.
I like Elisabeth, though don't love it as such, I very much like the nickname Lizzie

gaahh.. please help.
thanks

lostfortoys Fri 01-Apr-16 17:16:59

Oh, we are a Scandi / English family.

lottielou7 Fri 01-Apr-16 17:20:17

I think they are all nice names but Emily and Lily sound too similar. I have an Isabella and usually Isabel/Isabelle/Isabella tends to be shortened to Issy rather than Bella. My daughter doesn't like her name to be shortened and people generally don't.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 01-Apr-16 17:23:31

Emily and Lily a bit of a tongue twister.

Isabel is nice, it doesn't need to be shortened o a Belle. The ones I know are either Isabel or Izzie.

I love Elizabeth shortened to Libby or Beth. Should easily shorten to Lizzie though if that's your preference.

lostfortoys Fri 01-Apr-16 17:23:43

Thank you Lottie. I like Isabella a lot too but wondered if it often gets shortened to Bella, which is sweet though I'd like a little more 'edge' for a girl. Do you ever call you dd by a nickname or do you always use Isabella?

lostfortoys Fri 01-Apr-16 17:24:28

Could Lizzie be ever be a nn for isabel, or too contrived?

NoCapes Fri 01-Apr-16 17:31:29

I have an Isobel and she is Izzy, never Belle
If DS2 would've been a girl he would've been Emily, I think Emily & Isobel are lovely together smile

lottielou7 Fri 01-Apr-16 17:35:39

We always call dd Isabella, mainly because she doesn't like it shortened and tells people so (headstrong character!) the only nn she has is 'Mimi' which her sister called her from birth and we've no idea why grin she doesn't mind that though - strange isn't it?!

MostIneptThatEverStepped Fri 01-Apr-16 17:37:07

I have two out of those three 😄
Obviously I'm very biased but I think they are lovely names.

Sophronia Fri 01-Apr-16 17:51:17

Isabel goes very well with Emily.

lostfortoys Fri 01-Apr-16 18:06:33

Lottie, our emily is Mimi quite often smile. I quite like Izzie / Izzy as a nickname for Isabel. I am not going to ask for opinion on Isabel, Isabelle, Isabella, Isobel oh no. But instinctively Isabel works best for us.

lostfortoys Fri 01-Apr-16 19:58:51

Gentle bump for some more views smile

LittleNelle Fri 01-Apr-16 20:01:23

Isabel, Izzy/Issy for short.

Peasandsweetcorn Fri 01-Apr-16 20:04:45

Do you know that Isabelle is the Spanish form of Elizabeth and that Lily is a diminutive of Elizabeth? I'd go for Elizabeth but you can call her Lily or Lizzie.

CremeEggThief Fri 01-Apr-16 20:08:07

Emily and Isabel or Isabella go together best, in my opinion.

lostfortoys Fri 01-Apr-16 20:12:17

Oh, I didn't know this Peas. Hmm... Can I ask a silly question, what do people here 'associate' with the names 'Isabel", Elizabetn, and Lily? I know there are so many different personalities out there with these names, but to me, doe example, Elizabeth sounds a bit no-nonsense, Lizzie smart and funny, Isabel quieter but a cool and sassy, and Lily... friendly and creative.... blush

Angelto5 Fri 01-Apr-16 20:13:45

Another vote for Isabel. Although I am biased as my dd is one (actually she's an Isobelle just to be awkward grin)

Joinourclub Fri 01-Apr-16 20:18:05

I like Isabel the best, apart from I would spell it Isobel. All the variations of Isobel that I have known have been nick named Izzy.

nooka Fri 01-Apr-16 20:42:12

My dd is a Lily (for Lilian), and a couple of years ago her best friends were called Elisabeth and Isabel (Izzy). Lots of Emilys around too in her age group - in one group dd joined she made friends with 'Emily Four'!

I think that Isabel is the best of your choices, Emily and Lily are too similar and I think different initials are important, although many Elisabeths are known by one of the many shortenings so she might well be a 'B' or an 'L' instead of an 'E'.

lostfortoys Fri 01-Apr-16 20:54:17

Thank you everyone brew

isabel or Isabelle? That is the question..... blush

Itinerary Fri 01-Apr-16 20:54:33

I like Lily but it's too similar to Emily. Also like Isabel.

Sophronia Fri 01-Apr-16 21:03:17

I prefer Isabel to Isabelle (Isobel is my favourite though)

mrsschu Fri 01-Apr-16 21:03:42

In order of preference:
Lily (love it even if it's popular)
Isabel (really like it also, although prefer the spelling Isobel. Also really like Isabella)
Elizabeth (not too keen, it's a little stuffy IMO)

Although Lily is my favourite it's a little too similar to Emily so Isabel gets my vote.

CremeEggThief Fri 01-Apr-16 21:04:06

Isabel is Spanish and Isabelle is French.

timelytess Fri 01-Apr-16 21:07:04

All your choices are excellent. Lily is very much like Emily - "Emily and Lily are coming to play' sounds a bit like a tongue twister.

Emily and Elisabeth. Emily and Isabel.
Isabel.

I would have spelt Isabel as 'Isobel'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now