Talk

Advanced search

Caitlín?

(43 Posts)
Aiwo Thu 31-Mar-16 20:05:19

Is having Caitlín pronounced the proper (Irish) way too much of an uphill battle in the UK?

Itinerary Thu 31-Mar-16 20:20:39

I think in the UK a lot of people will say Kate-lyn the first time, but once you correct them will probably remember how you pronounce it smile

YeOldeTrout Thu 31-Mar-16 20:50:20

So... what is the Irish way? Like Cat-lynn?
Is Kathleen closer? I always thought of Kathleen as Irish name...

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 31-Mar-16 20:52:09

I wouldnt know how to pronounce it, if not Kate Lynn.

Fwaffy Thu 31-Mar-16 20:55:42

Well you'll mainly be introducing her verbally rather than having people see it written down so it should be fine. Same when she's older really.

She might have issues in school with roll call etc but again, once corrected I'd think that should sort it. (Spoken as a person with an awkward Irish spelling who lived in both UK and Ireland).

Fwaffy Thu 31-Mar-16 20:56:55

It's pronounced "cotch-leen" in Ireland for those wondering.

YeOldeTrout Thu 31-Mar-16 20:58:44

cotch like crotch or botch but not catch or caught?

squoosh Thu 31-Mar-16 21:20:43

Yes. Uphill battle as there are loads of them in the UK that pronounce it as kate-lynn. Even the Irish ones are generally pronounced as kate-lynn from what I can tell.

Kathleen is far more old lady Irish chic (okay maybe chic is an exaggeration!) in my opinion.

babyblabber Thu 31-Mar-16 22:52:39

Jays us I read it as kate-lynn & don't even live in the uk. Too much time on mumsnet? Or coz in from the pale?!!! I know Cait but have never heard Caitlin pronounced cotch lynn

VertigoNun Thu 31-Mar-16 22:55:45

Cotch-leen not Lynn.

Beautiful name OP.

Parney Thu 31-Mar-16 23:36:19

For it to be cotch leen it would need a fada on the a... Cáitlín.

OP's potential baby name is Caitlín without fada on a.... Which makes it Kat-leen.

Parney Thu 31-Mar-16 23:37:33

I love both btw grin

mathanxiety Fri 01-Apr-16 01:56:56

It would be Cawtch-leen with a fada on the a. (As in the name Cáit.)

Caitlín would be Cotch-leen (with the shorter a sound.) It's not Kat because it's a slender T.

mathanxiety Fri 01-Apr-16 02:01:22

I much prefer Kathleen, or Caitríona if you want a variant.

I suspect Caitlín would always be pronounced Cate-lynn simply because people would have no idea there is another pronunciation. Correcting people might get a bit tiring, or repeating the name a few times after being introduced, then being asked to spell it, etc.

LucyBabs Fri 01-Apr-16 02:08:36

Wow I've been Irish for 33 years and never heard Caitlin pronounced Cawtch leen confused
However I don't speak Irish fluently.. currently have my 7 yr old dd teaching me smile

Aiwo Fri 01-Apr-16 19:31:46

Mathanxiety
Caitríona is nice but could run into the surname too much.
We both like Kathleen but my DH hates the way people without Irish accents say it. Maybe I should try and convince him again

SoThatHappened Fri 01-Apr-16 19:34:51

How do people with Irish accents pronounce Kathleen out of interest?

Cerseirys Fri 01-Apr-16 19:45:39

What's the correct pronunciation for Caitríona then?

ZenNudist Fri 01-Apr-16 19:46:32

I prefer kate-Lynn sound. Nice name, but if you live in England then expect everyone to struggle with it.

Can't it just be Caitlin?

Aiwo Fri 01-Apr-16 19:46:48

SoThat
More with a Kat-leen rather than a th sound

BackforGood Fri 01-Apr-16 19:50:52

Aw... I was coming on to say 'lovely name - go for it', but I've only ever heard it pronounced Kate-Lynn
So, I do think, if you are in the UK, that's what she'd get all her life.

Aiwo Fri 01-Apr-16 22:10:23

Zen
My DH wants an Irish name (or at least one used in Ireland traditionally) but very much feels that in having one we should have one said correctly and not anglicise it.

Parney Fri 01-Apr-16 22:18:33

Accents are known as a fada and they change the sounds of the vowels.

á-aw instead of ah
é-ai/ay
Í-ee/ea
ó-oh
ú-oo as in too

ai in Caitlín makes an 'ah' sound

Parney Fri 01-Apr-16 22:30:12

OP have you thought of any of these Irish names? I'm sure you've loads but I'll add some ideas!

Aisling, Aoife, Áine, Bríd, Bronagh, Bláthín, Cáitín (kaw-teen, Irish for katie) Clodagh, Doireann, Fia, Gráinne, Íde, Lara, Maebh, Nora, Ríona, Sadbh/sadhbhín, Tara, Treasa, Úna.

mathanxiety Sat 02-Apr-16 05:06:28

I have an Irish accent (south Dublin) and pronounce Kathleen with a th sound, and the first syllable emphasised (KATH-leen). It's a very soft th sound or it would require a schwa between the H and the L.

I don't know any Irish people who would pronounce it KAT-leen.

Caitríona should be Cotch-REE-(uh)-na. However it is usually pronounced Kath-REE-(uh)-na or Kath-REE-na, or Kat-REE-na/Kat-REE-(uh)-na.

It's sometimes spelled Catríona, which isn't correct.

A few more Irish names:
Beibhinn
Eilís
Eibhlín
Damhnait
Deirbhile
Mairéad
Caoimhe
Sadhbh
Róisín
Niamh
Neasa
Eithne
Eimear
Muireann

Honora was a traditionally used name in Ireland, often shortened to Nora. It's not Irish but an old fashioned name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now