Talk

Advanced search

girls name dilemma

(18 Posts)
girlsnamedilemma Mon 21-Mar-16 21:35:17

Can you help me decide a front runner name for a sister for Daisy? Don't mind more suggestions but chances are we've had to discard because we've been discussing for ages, have very different views and this is a short list of 4 that we both can live with!

Jasmine - two flower names is it too twee? And the only shortening is Jaz which isn't great...
Elizabeth - I like Beth or even Libby at a push, but hate Liz/Lizzy - is it inevitable that others will call her Lizzy?
Georgina - I like George (famous five!), Georgie and Gina
Katherine - like both Kate and Katie

Still got a few weeks to go - but want some time to discuss with DP and get comfortable with the name.

RockUnit Mon 21-Mar-16 22:35:26

All nice names, but I vote Georgina. It's quite underused - I don't know anyone with a baby Georgina.

joyfulworld Tue 22-Mar-16 07:32:50

I love Jasmine and Katherine. All names are nice though.

Iguessyourestuckwithme Tue 22-Mar-16 07:42:27

I'm a Georgina - go for it smile

WanderingTrolley1 Tue 22-Mar-16 07:48:59

Katherine.

GoldPlatedBacon Tue 22-Mar-16 07:52:28

Georgina

AutumnRose1988 Tue 22-Mar-16 09:18:23

All lovely choices but understand your reasoning behind each - I do think jasmine is unfortunately a no-go because the 2 flower names would be too twee but I bet if you never used LIzzy and chose Libby or Beth than other people would follow your lead :-). Daisy and Elizabeth is lovely :-). Came across a name the other day...Elizabelle which I thought was quite nice xx

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Tue 22-Mar-16 09:21:44

Elizabeth has got endless nn potentials which makes it a fabulous name, but if you don't like everyone of those nns. Aviod it. Yes you might not like Lizzy/Liz.However, Your DD might.
Same with Jasmine.
I'm not keen on Georgina, so I'd go for Katherine. Classic, elegant timless and gentle sounding.

dancemom Tue 22-Mar-16 09:40:39

Prefer Georgia to Georgina

OneMagnumisneverenough Tue 22-Mar-16 09:51:59

Is Daisy a Margaret or just Daisy? Thinking that it will be a bit royal if you have Margaret and Elizabeth smile

RTKangaMummy Tue 22-Mar-16 10:02:42

My vote is Katherine, but I am biased as that is my name, it wasn't shortened by anybody apart from my form teacher at school who called my Kate, I shorten it sometimes online to Katie

There are however 9 different spellings of Katherine, but that is the same way as mine is spelt smile

Popilol Tue 22-Mar-16 13:18:38

Georgina - timelessly classic

girlsnamedilemma Tue 22-Mar-16 14:22:04

Thanks all - i think both writing it down and the responses that my favourites are probably Georgina and Katherine and Jasmine and Elizabeth are lower. Both DP and Daisy love the name Jasmine so we will have to see which feels right when baby is born!
I didn't realise Daisy is a shortening of Margaret but that now makes sense as we spend a lot of time in France and Italy and have realises the flower daisy is called a margeurite or similar in those languages!

PunkAssMoFo Tue 22-Mar-16 15:49:42

Jasmine from your list.

Jessamine
Eliza
Louisa
Thea

Would be my other suggestions based on your list.

Sophronia Tue 22-Mar-16 16:03:40

Georgina or Katherine. I like Kitty short for Katherine.

Pipsweet1 Tue 22-Mar-16 18:12:33

Elizabeth so you could call her Betsy...
Daisy & Betsy are so lovely together

BeefLasagneForMyTea Tue 22-Mar-16 19:05:05

Jasmine is the only one I like. I love Libby not not Elizabeth.

Babylove2015 Tue 22-Mar-16 21:22:20

Katherine - elegant and under-used. Kate and Kitty are pretty. I personally think it's prettier than Georgina. Elizabeth another classic. It's a pity it's reduced to a nick -name, however Libby is a wonderful name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now