So many girls, such similar names

(23 Posts)
SummerMonths Mon 14-Mar-16 22:08:51

Today I had to sign DD1 into her gymnastics class and the name list made me laugh. There were 10 girls listed in alphabetical order and it was such a reflection of how trendy certain names are.

So in a class of 10 we had:
Anna
Amelie
Ava
Ella
Ellie
Eleanor
Eve
Eva
Isobel
Isodora

And not one name that did not start with

MattDillonsPants Tue 15-Mar-16 02:23:40

Oh in my DDs class when she was in reception, there was Tilly, Milly, Molly, Ellie, Elsie and Ella. Bloody nightmare!

MattDillonsPants Tue 15-Mar-16 02:25:09

At my younger DDs new school in year 3 there is Perdita, Olivia and Hermione. Bloody Shakespeare!

centigrade451 Tue 15-Mar-16 15:40:59

Ha ha ha ha.

In DS2 class there are two Olivias, Amelie, Ava, Eva, Ellie, Elsie, Elyssa.
DS2 gets confused all the time.

Ilovegummibaers Tue 15-Mar-16 15:44:03

There are SO many gorgeous names out there to choose from, WHY do so many choose the same few - Ava, Ella, Ellie, Izzy, Milly, Tilly...?!

kimlo Tue 15-Mar-16 15:47:52

I was at work and the person I was woth was laughing when I was gathering up the children I was with "Evie, Eva and Ava "

marmiteontoast76 Tue 15-Mar-16 18:07:17

My dd1 has a name listed above. We chose it 8 years ago when we didn't know any other babies, know about the ONS stats or Mumsnet baby names board. Turns out everyone else had similar ideas. Just the way it goes. She doesn't seem bothered, yet.

Most of my friends did the same when they picked names like Poppy and Oscar 6 years ago. More recently, Betty....3 of them have all names their lovely dds this.

I have one on the list but she's a lot older, and we had no idea it was going to become so popular when we chose it. It's a lovely name though, so who cares?!

twinkletoedelephant Tue 15-Mar-16 18:11:26

Last year ds was one if 5 Alex's in his class of 30 4 boy's one girl.
They were all Alex + first initial of surname thankfully all different

KERALA1 Tue 15-Mar-16 19:42:09

God I am so bored of all the names you have listed. 90% of all both DDs friends are named these names. Why do people all pick the same names?!

zaza86 Tue 15-Mar-16 20:04:10

Anna sticks out as 'different' in that list! grin

mumsnit Tue 15-Mar-16 20:10:11

Yes I don't know many Anna's.

Loads of girls called Ella, Ellie, Isabella and Evie though. Pretty names but so many of them!!

SummerMonths Tue 15-Mar-16 21:07:21

Well my DD was obviously one of them so I cannot speak but it did make me realise just how similar many of the fashionable names are. Everyone loves a name beginning with a vowel at the moment. And if it ends in a vowel too all the better!

I don't think it's quite the same for boys because although there are some v v popular names they don't sound so similar to the other v v popular boys names.

MattDillonsPants Tue 15-Mar-16 23:20:54

My DD is 11 and the names she likes are all of my Mum's generation. Similar to how I and my peers like our Grandma's peers names...so whilst we enjoy Victorian sounding names, DD and her friends are admiring Jeannie, Pamela, Valerie and the like! shock

SingingSands Tue 15-Mar-16 23:26:08

Matt watch out for our granddaughters being called Beverley and Julie grin
My DD started high school in Sept. All her new friends seem to be called Izzy or Ella. The only one I can remember is Rose. grin

steppemum Tue 15-Mar-16 23:30:15

my ds is in year 8. At the new parents meeting in year 7 they read out the names of the boys in his class:

Tom
Ollie
Oliver
Tom
Tom
Oliver
Ollie
!

I am glad to say ds is neither Tom nor Ollie, but dd1 would have been Tom.

KERALA1 Tue 15-Mar-16 23:31:03

There's usually a grace too.

The names listed are actually this generations answer to Claire, rachel, sarah and victoria (vicky). Every friendship group I have ever had has had at least 2 of these names in it!

Canyouforgiveher Tue 15-Mar-16 23:33:25

My daughter's 9th grade has 10 Emmas, and 7 Alexes

My son went to a catholic school in the US and I would say one quarter of his class were called Conor and another quarter Ryan. I can't tell you how many brothers I know called Conor and Ryan.

Mumoftwoyoungkids Tue 15-Mar-16 23:33:54

In dd's class there are:-

2 * Amelie
Amelia
Lilia
Lilly
Lily

ifcatscouldtalk Tue 15-Mar-16 23:39:50

My dd's name doesn't begin or end in a vowel. Before I actually named her I pondered for so long as in comparison to some of the more popular names it probably has a harsher sound, also a colleague helpfully told me it's a bit 80s grin. Anyway shes 11 and it suits her. I adore names like ella and ava even though theve taken off in a big way.

ArtisanPopcorn Wed 16-Mar-16 19:26:56

Kerala1, if you add becky and Hannah and Cat/Kate/Katie/Catherine to that list you've got 80% of the girls I went to school with grin

KERALA1 Wed 16-Mar-16 20:14:45

I do find it fascinating as to why different generations all gravitate towards the same 10 or so names.

Mrspopper Thu 17-Mar-16 11:33:28

I think people pick names they like, you can try and be 'different' but you never know if that name will become popular. We have a thea picked as we liked it, wasn't in the top 100. Now it is. I still like it. Each to their own call your child whatever you like. My brother was on a class of 6 toms. Never bothered anyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now