Talk

Advanced search

struggling - girls names

(24 Posts)
emmyr84 Sat 12-Mar-16 14:42:46

I really am at a loss as to what to do. We really can't seem to decide on a name for our baby girl

DH isn't much help as he keeps suggesting jokey names and won't help me to search for better suggestions. So in my 34 (getting on for 35) week, hormonal pregnant state, this isn't much help in the slightest.

Old favourites -
Elizabeth - mil put me off as we would have used the nickname Libby and she said she would use the nickname Lizzie, despite us saying that we didn't like that for a nickname
Ivy - we've been told not to use this as it is the same name as dh's nana and his other nana will get in a sulk
Mia - dh's cousin has a girl called Mia
Lucy - fil keeps joking that we can say "Lucy and Brucey" as we have a labrador called Bruce

So learning from earlier mistakes, we haven't discussed names for a while and have just constantly said that we have no ideas when the subject has been brought up by other people

Current favourites -
Amelia
Olivia
Eleanor

I want something that flows nicely with our short, ending in a t, surname. But at the moment, nothing is jumping out at me that I love.

So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

Thanks in advance xx

ppandj Sat 12-Mar-16 14:45:49

Evelyn
Ada
Eva
Rose

cece Sat 12-Mar-16 14:47:41

Definitely do not discuss names with anyone else. Especially family!

Anya
Chloe
Phoebe
Lara
Emma

kimlo Sat 12-Mar-16 14:49:29

Josephine
philippa

emmyr84 Sat 12-Mar-16 14:50:29

cece we've learnt from our mistakes, no names have been mentioned to anyone since then - first time excited parents to be grin

cece Sat 12-Mar-16 14:53:21

My MIL posted me a book of names with post it notes on it containing suggestions after she heard what we were considering for DC1.

Subsequent DC - we told everyone some ludicrous name that we weren't really considering to put them off the scent.

wizzler Sat 12-Mar-16 14:53:39

Madeleine,
Martha
Hannah

I love Ivy though.... couldn't you put up with Nana2 sulking... or use her name as middle name?

emmyr84 Sat 12-Mar-16 15:02:55

I daren't even get started on everything mil has done since we announced the pregnancy, it would totally rake over the thread as she has seriously been the cause of some pretty intense arguments with me and dh shock

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sat 12-Mar-16 15:34:06

Molly
Maria
Marnie
Bethan
Isobella
Ella
Elsa
Eliza
Elise
Elsie
Erin
Ellie
Louisa
Laura
Laila
Ivory
Isla
Irina
Leah
Tia

LittleBlueRidingBoot Sat 12-Mar-16 17:14:54

Emilia

Summ3r Sat 12-Mar-16 17:53:43

Here are some of the names on my list
Isabella
Ava
Eva
Lola
Layla
Melody
Freya
Imogen
Rosanna
Aria
Pippa
Jessica
Emily
Esme
June (our mn)

PunkAssMoFo Sat 12-Mar-16 19:30:17

Eleanor as the others are quite popular.

I'll add:
Eloise
Iris
Corinne
Cecily

fruitpastille Sat 12-Mar-16 19:58:26

Eleanor if you don't mind MIL shortening to Ellie.

Leah? Similar sound to the end of Amelia but less common and hard for anyone to alter.

GoldPlatedBacon Sat 12-Mar-16 20:53:33

Lara
Laura
Lauren
April
Marie
Carly

ABitAsleep Sat 12-Mar-16 23:11:06

Love Ivy!

Abigail
Michaela
Victoria
Joanna
Stephanie
Summer
Imogen (Immy)
Cassie
Carrie
Ruby
Keira
Misty
Maisy
Serena
Rhia
Deanna
Tara
Emmy
Polly
Fiona

fuzzyllama Sat 12-Mar-16 23:19:10

Maggie
Matilda
Penelope
Delilah
Madeleine
Sophie
Molly

BlueChampagne Sat 12-Mar-16 23:24:02

Lucy is a lovely name, and sadly is likely to outlast Brucey, so don't discard this one. She may well like being coupled with the dog in early years.

Definitely feed the rest of the family the comic list, if they're impertinent enough to get involved!

To add to the above suggestions:

Belinda
Meredith
Meryl
Rhiannon
Rosanne/a
Fiona
Esther

BlueChampagne Sat 12-Mar-16 23:24:40

Lydia or Laura?

AutumnRose1988 Mon 14-Mar-16 09:16:05

Wow your MIL and FIL sound like wind up merchants! Who informs a mum to be that they will use a certain nickname that they wouldn't like? How rude! Hope they don't bother you too much huni. Stay strong :-)

I think Amelia and Olivia are a little over used but Eleanor is different and sounds very feminine and classy-really like that. Noticed other posters have mentioned Evelyn and Eloise which are lovely too.

Coldtoeswarmheart Tue 15-Mar-16 09:46:30

Eleanor.

Also Hannah and Emily.

GreenGoth89 Tue 15-Mar-16 09:56:35

I love Cariad - darling in Welsh
Cerys
Cordelia
Bethan
Eva
Branwyn - Welsh Goddess of love
Freya - a good Norse name
Helena
Imogen
Lydia

RockUnit Tue 15-Mar-16 10:17:39

Elizabeth/Libby - fine. Your MIL will get used to Libby as your DD's nickname
Ivy - if you love it, use it. Ignore any sulking
Mia - I don't think it matters that your DH's cousin also have a Mia. You just say "we think it's a lovely name too".
Lucy - tell your FIL that if he keeps saying "Lucy and Brucey" you will change the dog's name to his name grin

AutumnRose1988 Tue 15-Mar-16 16:24:00

Well said rock unit! In-laws can be the worst at times!

KERALA1 Tue 15-Mar-16 19:43:32

All good except Amelia and Olivia tediously over used

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now