Talk

Advanced search

Could DD have picked her own name? I need some opinions please!

(63 Posts)
3luckystars Fri 11-Mar-16 11:00:59

I have been agonising over names for a long time. There are lots I liked, but none I loved.

We are having a girl! (yay) At every scan, she pushes her footprint up and the doctor has printed us out several photos of her little white footprint, even at the very early scans. I had "Olwen" on our (very long) list but I only liked it, and wasn't 100% sure about it.

The name Olwen means "little white footprint".

Anyway, I was at a scan yesterday and up appeared this lovely little white footprint again, and the doctor stopped the screen and said "oh look at her beautiful little foot". I actually welled up a bit, and thought "her name is Olwen"

I just want to pick a lovely name for our little girl. Do you think its a nice name?

lookoutitsapiano Fri 11-Mar-16 11:03:09

Its a beautiful name, and a beautiful story! Congratulations!

3luckystars Fri 11-Mar-16 11:06:20

I'm a bit nervous because I have nobody else to run it by, only you. Nobody in real life knows, so I can't ask for opinions.

Thank you for the encouragement. I think I will go for it!

luckySwallow13 Fri 11-Mar-16 11:08:03

That's lovely! I am 16w and haven't thought names yet. Leaving sex a surprise too - so better get my thinking cap on! smile congratulation !

Ginmakesitallok Fri 11-Mar-16 11:08:14

You know that she hasn't actually chosen her name don't you? But it is a lovely name.

ScarletForYa Fri 11-Mar-16 11:09:01

You have to call her Olwen! Love this!

ApocalypseSlough Fri 11-Mar-16 11:12:04

Lovely name and lovely story!

Mumsywumsywoo Fri 11-Mar-16 11:14:22

Perfect story. And she DID choose her name star

DixieNormas Fri 11-Mar-16 11:16:55

I think it's a lovely way to choose a name, regardless of if baby chose it or not I like to think she has

3luckystars Fri 11-Mar-16 11:17:02

Yes, I know she didn't choose her name, I just felt like it was a sign.

Thank you all so much for the lovely replies, I really appreciate it. I will go for it so! Her name will be Olwen, I hope she likes it! Thanks x

ChilliMum Fri 11-Mar-16 11:21:12

It is a beautiful name and she will love hearing about the story of how her name was chosen.

Sophronia Fri 11-Mar-16 11:21:57

A lovely story and a lovely name.

toofarfromcivilisation Fri 11-Mar-16 11:23:22

Of course she knows her baby didn't choose the name! Silly thing to say on a lovely thread. Are you always so serious?

EllenTheEgret Fri 11-Mar-16 11:25:50

Lovely name!

Penfold007 Fri 11-Mar-16 11:28:28

Olwen is a lovely name and your reason for choosing is beautiful.

SpidersFromMars Fri 11-Mar-16 11:29:23

Olwen is gorgeous. Lovely story too, perfect.

goldenpineapple Fri 11-Mar-16 11:33:43

Aw this just made me cry a little bit! So so lovely, really pretty name and such a sweet reason for choosing it.

Micah Fri 11-Mar-16 11:36:46

Lovely name smile

I had similar. I was sat at work one day, felt a kick, and without even thinking said "oh hello x, it's you is it".

I dithered for the remainder of my pregnancy anyway, but always came back to that name. And that's what she's called smile

3luckystars Fri 11-Mar-16 11:45:14

Thanks for that story. I have cried a little bit at the responses here too.
I am not Welsh and I know nobody will have ever heard the name so I was unsure, but am so glad I posted now!! Thank you all again for the positive feedback. I will keep this thread for her and hope she likes her name.

sleepyhead Fri 11-Mar-16 12:25:01

Olwen is one of the chuggington trains (minor character) so people might have heard of it (if they have train obsessed toddlers like mine anyway grin). It's a lovely name - go for it!

JonSnowKnowsNowt Fri 11-Mar-16 12:36:44

I think that's a lovely name and it's a story every child would love to have about their name!

Bogburglar99 Fri 11-Mar-16 12:40:49

If you're not Welsh then go and read the story of Culhwch and Olwen from the Mabinogion. Lots of translations and kids versions. It's a great story - giants, magic, princesses, King Arthur and his knights, the works.

Good one to name her after. I think in the story Olwens name comes about because little white flowers spring up wherever she walks, which is even nicer.

CeriBerry Fri 11-Mar-16 12:40:49

Just to be really anal, I'm Welsh and it doesn't actually mean 'little white foot.' It is more like white trail/tracks/prints, or maybe white footprints. In the story of Culhwch and Olwen, four white flowers appear behind Olwen every time she takes a step. Hence Olwen: Ol-trail/track and wen- white. That being said however, it is still very applicable to your story and is a lovely name so I think you should go for it.

Bogburglar99 Fri 11-Mar-16 12:42:22

Cross post Ceri. I'm not Welsh but studied the language and the legends at university a couple of decades ago. Relieved I can still remember how to spell Culhwch!

TheScottishPlay Fri 11-Mar-16 12:44:18

Lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now