Did you call your child Seren or Arianwen?

(45 Posts)
anwenT Mon 07-Mar-16 11:44:24

Hi,

I'm looking for feedback from mums who have used these names - do you have any problems with pronunciation or spelling for example? Do you love them/have regrets?

I have read a few people say on here that Seren is now chavvy or faddy sad but I'm hoping that's the minority opinion! (We are Welsh but live in England). Love Arianwen as its a much older and more unusual name, but people I show it to try and pronounce it as Aryan!

Also any one syllable middle name suggestions to go with these names??

Thanks!

Applespice Mon 07-Mar-16 11:48:22

I'm Welsh and live in Wales so can't help on how it would be pronounced in England. I prefer Arianwen as its a little less popular than Seren. Have you considered any other Welsh names? Haf as a middle name?

BeautyGoesToBenidorm Mon 07-Mar-16 11:48:55

I've always loved Arianrhod personally smile Seren does seem to have risen in popularity, although I've never met a little Arianwen - I remember her as a character from the Jenny Nimmo books though!

Hushabyelullaby Mon 07-Mar-16 12:01:37

I love Seren (it means Star doesn't it?). I wouldn't think that there would be any issues with spelling, or with how to say it when written down.

Some suggestions;

One syllable
Haf
Braith
Siân
Lyn
Mair (have heard it said with 1 and 2 syllables)
Non
Ann(e)
Rose
Mai/May/Maeve (Maebh)
Elle

2 syllable Welsh that are not so commonly heard
Cadi
Deryn
Efa (Eva in English)
Enfys

SecretNutellaFix Mon 07-Mar-16 12:02:53

Did you want a Welsh middle name as well?

Haf, Aur, Fflur, Mai,

Hushabyelullaby Mon 07-Mar-16 12:05:27

Forgot to say, I really like Arianwen too. I live in Wales so am not sure if either are used much in England. I do know however that my sister is Siân, and she lives in England. She has never met another one there, but here I know lots.

I know of 3 Seren's (8 years old), but have never met a Arianwen.

StarkyTheDirewolf Mon 07-Mar-16 12:41:04

I love Arianwen, but Welsh Dh isn't a fan. But then I also love Angharad and he turns his nose up at that too! Seren is lovely, knew a couple of little Seren's in Wales but haven't come accros one in England yet. Ceridwen is also on my list.

SoupDragon Mon 07-Mar-16 12:44:12

I know 2 Serens in my corner of south London. Your DD will have to get used to saying "no, not Sarah, Seren."

flakjacket Mon 07-Mar-16 12:44:33

Daughter (14) has an Arianwen and a Seren among her friends. There are also two Serens at Brownies and another at school.

Arianwen is called Ari by her friends. I think it's a lovely name :-)

SoupDragon Mon 07-Mar-16 12:45:05

People always seem to think it's a beautiful name though.

MyNameIsSuz Mon 07-Mar-16 12:56:15

I know a little arianwen. They live in Wales but we're in England as are a lot of their friends and family, and I've never heard anyone get it wrong. It's a great name!

anwenT Mon 07-Mar-16 13:08:50

Thank you all! Aargh it's so hard to decide

beauty The Snow Spider by Jenny Nimmo was my inspiration for Arianwen, loved that book!

Anyone who has used these names on their own daughters have tips on guiding people on pronunciation?

We have a large American side of the family who will particularly struggle and we visit a lot, they are the ones who automatically say 'aryan' or 'sarin' example. For Seren I was thinking 'rhymes with seven' or 'like the start of the word serendipity'

anwenT Mon 07-Mar-16 13:26:43

Oh and also people tell me Arianwen sounds like something made up from Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones sad I wish I didn't care what people thought!!

SoupDragon Mon 07-Mar-16 14:11:22

For Seren I was thinking 'rhymes with seven' or 'like the start of the word serendipity'

Pretty much this. Most mispronunciations seem to be either putting the stress on the REN or saying Serin. It is rare that it it mispronounced though as I think most people think of Seven.

SoupDragon Mon 07-Mar-16 14:14:10

I must confess that I think Arianwen sounds like one of the elves from Lord of the Rings. I guess it depends how tedious "no, it's a Welsh name" would become.

I have no idea how to pronounce though it unless it is "Arry An Wen" which I suspect it is not...

Fifi10 Mon 07-Mar-16 14:23:12

I've taught a Seren-Haf. Only one so I don't consider it to be a chavvy or common name at all (rhymes with seven-half so not that hard to pronounce!).

I remember at the time thinking it was a really lovely, unique name. If you like it, go for it

anwenT Mon 07-Mar-16 14:23:46

Yep soup it's arry-ANN-wen smile

Thanks!!

Artandco Mon 07-Mar-16 14:24:37

How about Arwen?

SoupDragon Mon 07-Mar-16 14:29:47

I would say that most would be able to pronounce it then smile I didn't even have to refer to my Learnt On Mumsnet Welsh Pronunciation Guide

villainousbroodmare Mon 07-Mar-16 16:04:37

Oh, I love both of these! Possibly Seren has the edge but both lovely. Angharad also gorgeous.

stumblymonkey Mon 07-Mar-16 16:37:52

I think these are both lovely...personally I think it's beautiful to keep Welsh culture alive...I wouldn't be pressured to give your children English names just because a few English people might need some guidance on how to pronounce it or think it sounds like LOTR!

...and I am English...

BestIsWest Mon 07-Mar-16 16:44:12

I like both though I prefer Seren and regret not using it for DDs middle name. I live in Wales and don't know any Arianwens though I know a couple of Serens.

AuntJane Mon 07-Mar-16 17:01:41

I also like Ceinwen and Eirwen - and Valmai, but that's totally different.

soundsystem Mon 07-Mar-16 19:06:09

My daughter is an Arianwen! One of 6 in England and Wales in the year she was born. We're in England.

Some people do look a bit panicked when they first see it or hear it but I've not had any issues with pronunciation once they've heard me or DH say it. I've never had anyone pronounce it as "Aryan" including DH's American relations. Whenever people give it a try, they get it right (or just about right), it's more that they're a bit scared of the unfamiliar!

She gets called called Ari for short and occasionally people pronunce that as "air-y" rather than "ah-ri" but that's easily corrected. The only that is irritating is the LOTR "connection". I do find people assume I'm a Tolkein fan (I'm not particularly).

Her middle name is Elizabeth, so can't help with short middle names. We thought if she grows up to dislike it being so unusual she's got a safe fallback, with plenty of options!

sonlypuppyfat Mon 07-Mar-16 19:10:54

I live in England I had a Welsh dad, all my DCs have very Welsh names sometimes I have to put people right on pronunciation but we've not had any problems

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now