Kate

(24 Posts)
QueenMolotov Mon 29-Feb-16 20:34:26

I am pg with dc3 and am pondering both boy and girl names. I'm very struck on one particular name for a boy, but girls names are proving a little more difficult! We have 2 dds whose names both end in an 'a' sound, and I think I would like something that sounds a little different (complimentary, but not matchy).

I really like the name Kate, but am concerned that as it is quite a blunt-sounding name, noting really flows from it to form a middle name. I could have it as a middle name, but am then unsure about forenames.

Other names I like are:

Isobel
Mia
Lily
Jessica
Annabel

Any ideas would be most welcome! TIA

PennyHasNoSurname Mon 29-Feb-16 20:43:30

Kate is wonderful, it was one I was considering for dc2 (who ended up being a boy). I also like Mia (prn Mee Ah rather than My Ah), but not the others.

Also on my list were Olive, Erin and Juliet

DramaAlpaca Mon 29-Feb-16 22:14:41

I love Kate.

A middle name beginning with a vowel would flow fine. From the other names you like which begin with a vowel you could have Kate Isobel or Kate Annabel.

Wafflenose Mon 29-Feb-16 22:26:14

I have one, and think it's amazing. Pretty, strong and to the point. She has a long middle name starting with a vowel. I think Isobel, Alexandra, Elizabeth, etc sound good after Kate.

SpotOn Mon 29-Feb-16 22:39:20

Kate is a fantastic name. smile

Was on my list for DD.

Then I realised all my friends called Kate are completely bonkers.

Turns out Kate would have suited DD very well.

ACatastrophicMisintepretation Mon 29-Feb-16 22:46:10

Haha Spoton, I'm a Kate and completely not normal!
My middle name is Amanda, which I'll be honest in saying I don't love, but the flow is fine I think?

I also don't meet many other Kate's, a lot of Katie's or Catherine's but not many other pure Kate's!

youngestisapsycho Mon 29-Feb-16 22:52:57

I have a Katy, but call her Kate.

thebiscuitindustry Mon 29-Feb-16 23:01:51

I prefer the other names on your list to Kate.

marshmallowpies Mon 29-Feb-16 23:11:05

My DM is a Kate so I think it's a lovely name - but I'd always go for the long name on birth certificate and let them choose what they want to be known as, later on.

My mum is Katharine on her birth certificate, was Katy to her parents when she was growing up, Kay at school, but decided she was going to be known as Kate and has stuck to it ever since. I do think Katharine is lovely, though, wish I could have used it for one of my DDs.

If you do go for Kate as a name in its own right, you'd definitely need a 2 syllable middle name for a good flow:
Kate Rowan
Kate Frances
Kate Aisling
Kate Hannah
Kate Julia
Kate Marina
Kate Emily

Already mentioned above, I think Kate Annabel has a really nice sound to it.

WhispersOfWickedness Mon 29-Feb-16 23:30:00

Kate is a great name, it's my name and I love it grin
It's got loads of good points, it is easy to say and spell, unusual but everyone knows of it... Go for it grin
As far as middle names go, mine is also one syllable and goes quite well, I also think 3+ syllable names go quite well with it smile

GerundTheBehemoth Mon 29-Feb-16 23:52:57

I like it. Always makes me think of 'Kate' by Ben Folds Five, a lovely happy song. 'And you can see the daisies in her footsteps... dandelions (dandelions), butterflies (butterflies) - I wanna be Kate!'

julfin Mon 29-Feb-16 23:53:28

Vowels flow well after Kate. Isobel and Annabel are both lovely options.

Some consonants are fine after Kate, but not all. A "J" for example does not work - it's quite hard to say after "T" sound. So I'd rule out e.g. Kate Julia. L or R (soft consonants) are better than hard consonants like T or D.

Sophronia Tue 01-Mar-16 00:30:58

Kate is lovely

Malefriendproblem Tue 01-Mar-16 00:52:31

I have a Katherine who goes by various nn with her friends but is known as Kate to the family. I always prefer to use longer names and let the child decide which nn they want to use. Her middle name is Louise.

If you just want Kate however, I think middle name should maybe have 2 or 3 syllables.

oneangrydwarf Tue 01-Mar-16 01:36:35

Love it. Would have been my DSs name if he was a girl for the exact reason Gerund mentions above!

oneangrydwarf Tue 01-Mar-16 01:41:12

To answer your question though we would have used one of the versions of C/Katherine which flow better with middle names and give her choice in future.

zippyswife Tue 01-Mar-16 01:43:13

I love Kate. It was high on our list but we've just had a ds (third ds! Hope you're good Molotovflowers).

MadameDePompom Tue 01-Mar-16 10:47:06

I don't think 'flow' matters with regards to middle names to be honest. I'd rather use a middle name that had significance than a random name that 'flowed' with the first name.

Also I prefer Kate as a name in its own right. Not a fan of Katherine.

sallykins123 Tue 01-Mar-16 12:16:38

My daughters name is Georgia Kate. I wanted a one syllabel middle name and didn't want the usual, Mae/May, Rose, Rae etc, and thought Kate sounded good as I personally think it makes a lovely middle name and goes with most first names.

Lily Kate and Jessica Kate probably sound the best.

KatieT12 Tue 01-Mar-16 15:14:57

Fab name grin

Absolutelyfabulously Tue 01-Mar-16 17:51:03

Kate Elizabeth
Kate Jennifer
Kate Miranda

QueenMolotov Tue 01-Mar-16 19:19:49

Thanks everyone for your replies smile

<waves to zippy> I'm good, thank-you! I'm almost 11w now with a proper little tummy and not long to wait now until the 12w scan. Hope you are well and enjoying motherhood to 3 dcs smile

I'm being lulled by the name Georgia, too ... how strange that I should see Georgia Kate as written by sallykins! That has a lovely sound to it, and I agree that Kate Isobel or Kate Annabel sounds lovely.

Watto1 Tue 01-Mar-16 19:22:16

I think Louise goes well with one syllable first names.

babyblabber Tue 01-Mar-16 21:37:09

I like Isabel, Mia and Annabel from your list and actually Jessica too. Not a fan of Kate but that's just me. I don't get the appeal at all although I know a few people with little girl's called Kate. Also if the other two have A ending names they are probably quite pretty, feminine names so a Kate might feel hard done by, I would also describe it as blunt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now