Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

baby names spelt slightly similar to mine

(6 Posts)
foximusprime1 Sun 28-Feb-16 20:11:38

I'm Amy and id love the name Amira, but is it too close to mine???
i'm worried people in the future will try to shorten it it Ami...bit weird if that does happen lol.

there are other ways to spell it, id like your opinions on different spellings also.
Amira
Amera
amirah
ameera.

Thanks x

temporarilyjerry Sun 28-Feb-16 22:19:34

I don't think this would be a problem as the A in Amira is pronounced differently from the A in Amy. I know an Amira and it has never occurred to me that it could be shortened to Ami; I think Mira is a more likely NN.

I prefer the spelling Amira.

minipie Sun 28-Feb-16 22:47:56

I think it's ok, they are quite different names and as mentioned, the 'A' is pronounced differently. I wouldn't think of shortening Amira to Ami pr. Amy - I think Am or Mir or Miri is more likely as a nn.

Oh and yes Amira as spelling, definitely.

Levatrice Sun 28-Feb-16 22:52:42

Agree mira would be more likely as the NN . I know someone called claire who wanted the sames similar so called her daughter carlie but most people just think its quite sweet if anything

joyfulworld Tue 01-Mar-16 12:32:07

What about Almira then?

julfin Wed 02-Mar-16 23:16:42

It's absolutely fine - they sound totally different because the emphasis is in a different place.

I think it's more like to get shortened to Mira, Mimi or Mia. Ami doesn't occur naturally from Amira because the pronunciation is different.

Amira is the prettiest spelling. Go for it. A lovely name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now