Elsa

(16 Posts)
zazie7 Sun 28-Feb-16 13:49:05

What do people think of this name? Is it too closely associated with the film Frozen? We are considering it as a nickname for Elizabeth as this is an important family name for us and it would give her more flexibility if she preferred a different nickname. Elsa is a short form of Elizabeth/Elisabeth but not the most obvious one so am worried people might find it a bit strange.

Other options are Clara, Matilda or Josephine with mn Elizabeth.

JenEric Sun 28-Feb-16 14:18:19

Right now people will think frozen. You could call her Elizabeth though and use Liz, Lizzie, Beth, Liza, Libby as nn then maybe change to elsa later if she prefers it?

Monica101 Sun 28-Feb-16 14:38:02

I nearly called dd this before frozen came out, I am glad I didn't really but it's a lovely name. It's got a bit of Scandi chic about it.

If you really love it I always say just use it, in 5 years the Frozen craze will be over and Elsa will be just a name again. If it's a nn for Elizabeth then the link to frozen is even less.

KatieT12 Sun 28-Feb-16 15:11:07

I'd go with it, I think a lot of people have used princess names before, soon no one will care

thebiscuitindustry Sun 28-Feb-16 16:27:12

I'd go for Elisabeth with an s, as there's an s in Elsa.

I also like Josephine and Clara.

DiamondStuddedFlunkie Sun 28-Feb-16 17:42:21

Really like it, wouldn't let frozen put me off!

confusedandemployed Sun 28-Feb-16 17:43:56

It was top of my list, I was pg the year before it came out. DH vetoed it though and tbh I'm quite glad.

PP are right though - the Frozen thing will be a distant memory soon and it is a beautiful name.

AuntieStella Sun 28-Feb-16 17:44:01

I don't know if it's my age, but I'd think lioness first and strongest.

Bananalanacake Sun 28-Feb-16 17:44:14

Say it's after the tiger in Born Free.

mrsschu Sun 28-Feb-16 17:49:13

Hmmm because it was relatively underused/unusual before Frozen, the film would be my first thought too. And I know if my DD met an Elsa that's the first thing she would say! So if you don't mind all that I guess it's fine but personally I'd probably avoid it.

dimdommilpot Sun 28-Feb-16 21:54:43

Top of the list for DD2. Luckily Frozen came out just before she was born. I love it but glad we didnt go with it.

crapfatbanana Sun 28-Feb-16 22:10:37

I would definitely go with Elizabeth and wait to see what diminutive you use. My DD was nearly Elsa (pre-Frozen) and I still love it, but we went with Elspeth instead.

Crazypetlady Sun 28-Feb-16 23:50:02

you:put your coat on dd
dd:The cold never bothered me anyway.

In all seriousness I like the name but probably wouldn't due to frozen.

zazie7 Mon 29-Feb-16 17:24:00

Thank you very much for the comments. I'm glad quite a few people are saying it's fine.

We did consider Elisabeth with the S but it's a family name spelt Elizabeth so would prefer this spelling even though it makes Elsa a little less obvious.

laslolikvidator Wed 02-Mar-16 09:30:34

You don't have to worry, it's a wonderful name!

MadameDePompom Wed 02-Mar-16 10:24:28

I think it's a gorgeous name.

It's definitely become more popular since Frozen and I think there's a Frozen 2 in the offing so its popularity may increase even more. Depends how much that would bother you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now