Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

what was your trigger to vito a name?

(14 Posts)
applesvpears Thu 18-Feb-16 10:19:27

I am interested in any stories.
We liked Lana but then realised it was 'anal' spelt backwards. As much as we tried we couldn't stop thinking about it grin

Kittykatmacbill Thu 18-Feb-16 10:41:07

How easy it was to spell (our surname is impossible and needs to spelt each time) and not the same name as immediate family (i.e. Our Siblings and their cousins).

ABitAsleep Thu 18-Feb-16 11:12:30

I associate some names with people i don't like - I like the name Summer, but i went to school with a horrible and nasty girl named Summer, so i wouldn't use it becuase of the association.

I also have an awkward surname, that needs to be spelt everythime, so i would feel mean if i also gave them a particulaly awkward first name.

However, i don't like names that are too popular at the moment (this is coming from a girl who's name was the most popular name the year she was born) so i would try and stay out of the top 100, so my child wouldn't have to be one of several in their class, and forever being refered to Name A, Name B, etc.

I would also check initials, you never know what you could end up with without realising - ASS, BUM, TIT, ect grin

MaryRobinson Thu 18-Feb-16 11:16:22

Yes for me it is also who do I know with that name so no Olivia's and no Martha's.

wigglesrock Thu 18-Feb-16 11:17:58

I didn't really have any triggers - I avoided a lot of names of people I went to school with, because I viewed them as a bit "dated". My husband vetoed some names that he associated too strongly with songs. He vetoed Jude right away when I was first pregnant years ago. Also he had an aversion to names that were used in books he'd studied. I am still a bit sniffy about his immediate rejection of Tess for any of our dds.

ashesandfire Thu 18-Feb-16 14:24:17

I'm a teacher so most of my vetoes were because of association with bratty/obnoxious children lol

unicornthong Thu 18-Feb-16 15:08:33

My all-time favourite name also happens to be the name of my OH's ex. angry

spanky2 Thu 18-Feb-16 15:14:47

Same as ashesandfire!

oldspeckledtam Fri 19-Feb-16 23:02:25

I'm a teacher, so I went with no names of anyone I've taught. I also said no H names as, locally, the h isn't pronounced anyway. And no T names as Dh and I already share that initial.

Dh's list was rather more comprehensive....
No flowers
No cars
No names from songs
No names of people he'd met
No names of living family members (it was ok to honour the dead, but not the living)
No animal names
No alliteration
No biblical names

Between the two of us, we ruined dd1's name. I wanted Kitty (or, more specifically ANY name where Kitty could be a nickname.) He wanted Erin. There is very little crossover there. We ended up with an 'OK' name that we then argued about spelling. She now uses the part of her name we imagined she'd discard as her short form. Eg, we chose Issybel thinking she'd use Issy and she goes by Bel. (Not the real name!)

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 19-Feb-16 23:38:58

Things like that op!

Though the name we went with is only one letter different.

Other than unfortunate anagrams, others were vetoed on knowing people we didn't like who had the name, it sounding ugly (me), it sounding pretentious (him).

Luciferbox Fri 19-Feb-16 23:53:17

I'm also a teacher so many names were ruled out early on. Unfortunately my favourite name combined with our surname sounded just like a dodgy 70's sitcom character and I could shake the association.

Champagneformyrealfriends Sat 20-Feb-16 08:57:36

Love the name Charlotte but the only person I actively dislike is called Charlotte so unfortunately it had to go! I really like Holly too, however being from West Yorkshire she'd get "Olly" and i couldn't get past that!

BertrandRussell Sat 20-Feb-16 09:00:11

We have some very strong accents in our family and in the area we live- that ruled out several favorites. Lily would have been Lil-eh, for example.

sambababy Sat 20-Feb-16 13:08:03

No names that remind me of annoying people or sound like they belong to animals.
No names in the family or close friends.
We currently live abroad so only names that can be easily pronounced by speakers of both here & UK plus don't sound silly with the foreign surname. This is the hard bit!! Lots of boys names here are girls names in the UK.
Oh and I look at the initials. Anything spelling something dodgy is out.
I always said I didn't want super popular names too but in the end DD has a top 10 name because we just loved it and our other criteria made choosing so hard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now