Talk

Advanced search

help needed!!

(14 Posts)
redvelvet215 Tue 16-Feb-16 16:40:57

Hi,

We have managed to narrow down to 4 names, 2 girls and 2 boys, and i was looking to get people's opinions on them if possible? What do you think when you hear these names? We want something not too popular but not unheard of, that will also suit them their whole life.

We have chosen...
Oscar and Matthew for boys
and
Eliana and Phoebe for girls

We are also open to suggestions as well, thank you! smile

ABitAsleep Tue 16-Feb-16 16:49:31

I like both Oscar and Matthew, although it will probably be shortened to Matt (i like Matt too).

I don't like Phoebe. I'm not sure why but i never have. To me it just sounds weird when you say it and looks weird when you write it. I don't want to put you off but it kind of reminds me of phlem :/

I realy like Eliana! I've never heard it before, but it looks and sound lovely. She will probably get a nn of Ellie though.

Other options you might like;
Eloise/Eloisa
Emmeline
Eliza
Arianna/Adrianna
Giselle/Gisella
Bianca
Rachelle
Phillipa/Pippa
Freya
Naomi
Nicole
Keira
Katya

Hope that helps! smile

MidnightVelvetthe5th Tue 16-Feb-16 16:52:04

I like Oscar & Phoebe! smile

Eliana is pretty but I'm not sure whether its El-ee-arna. Eeli-arna or Eli-anna...

DramaAlpaca Tue 16-Feb-16 16:54:45

My opinions:

Oscar - trendy, very of the moment
Matthew - classic & currently underused
Eliana - very pretty but there might be issues with spelling or pronunciation
Phoebe - classic, slightly posh

All nice names.

CityFox Tue 16-Feb-16 16:56:23

I like Phoebe and Oscar.

Love Oscar, Don't like either of the girls' names, sorry.

redvelvet215 Tue 16-Feb-16 17:15:44

Thanks everyone!

Im not sure where I got Eliana from but i googled it and found it was Hebrew, meaning 'My God Has Spoken' so thought it had a pretty meaning smile I think it would be pronounced eli-anna.

Thanks for your input everyone, more opinions and suggestions welcome smile

thebiscuitindustry Tue 16-Feb-16 17:37:56

I quite like Matthew, it's a good solid name. Not keen on Oscar, sorry.

Eliana is very pretty and I like Phoebe too. Phoebe Eliana or Eliana Phoebe would work well.

Sophronia Tue 16-Feb-16 17:48:11

I like Matthew a lot, not keen on the others.

manicinsomniac Tue 16-Feb-16 17:58:30

I like all of them - favourites would be Oscar and Elianna.

I have taught an Elina (El-eena) and an Elianne (Ellie-anne) and know an adult Eliane (Ell-ee-ar-nee). I would have thought Eliana would be El-ee-arna but Eli-anna is lovely.

Same lines as Matthew:
Michael, Mark, Martin, Thomas, Christopher, Jonathan, James, Robert

Same lines as Oscar:
Felix, Toby, Max, Noah, Isaac, Rueben, Owen, Jacob, Joshua, Aidan, Aaron

Same lines as Elianna:
Aurelia, Arianna, Aria, Cassia, Emilia, Emiliana, Elena, Felicia, Indianna, Julianna, Katerina, Liliana, Mariana, Natalia, Rowena, Rhianna, Sabrina, Seraphina, Tatiana

Same lines as Phoebe:
Alexa, Amy, Amelia, Charlotte, Chloe, Emily, Flora, Grace, Isabel, India, Jessica, Katie, Lily, Lucy, Megan, Matilda, Natalie, Olivia, Philippa, Ruby, Rosie, Sophie, Sadie, Zoe

turdfairynomore Tue 16-Feb-16 19:13:38

Proniunced "eli-anna" op?? Really?? As in "ee-lie-anna"?? I'd guess at other pronunciations but never that one I think? It maybe looks prettier on paper than it sounds? I like Phoebe though. I teach 4&5 year olds and I seldom see a Phoebe...though my friend's grand daughter is Phoebe so I'm a bit biased! In deepest, darkest NI there are lots of Matthews and very few Oscars. I like both names.

Horseshoe1 Tue 16-Feb-16 19:47:29

I've met a couple of Eliana's pronounced Ellie-arna. Yup it's Hebrew and very pretty. I love Matthew too.

redvelvet215 Tue 16-Feb-16 19:49:47

I think i maybe wrote it wrong, id pronounce it as el-ee-anna, i think it sounds very pretty that way. The ell-ee-arna wouldnt really work as im Scottish and tried saying it with the 'arna' sound and it just doesn't sound quite right!
Thanks for all your suggestions everyone, theres a few im going to report back to DH smile

magpie17 Tue 16-Feb-16 19:55:37

I think they are quite different names in a way, Matthew and Phoebe (my favourites) are classic but underused whereas Oscar and Eliana are more 'trendy' sounding. Eliana in particular seems quite flowery next to the others and isn't my kind of name really. Oscar is nice but falls into the 'cats name' category for me...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now