Talk

Advanced search

Creative ways to honour family members in your child's name

(14 Posts)
Baz13 Tue 16-Feb-16 11:53:37

I would love to honour another child with a family members name or a mashup or by just being creative.

My two children have nn type of names that end in an 'ee' sound.

For girls the names I would like to be creative with are:
Margaret, Mary, Marilyn, Hilda, Amanda and Edna.

No lyn/ Lin names as bad associations with a family member so no variations of that name unfortunately. The first 3 names all start with the Mar sound but Marie / Maria cannot be used either.

So far I have come up with these ideas; Mamie, Mae, Maeve, Maisie, Marinda and Miranda which connects some of the M names and Amanda. Cannot use Mandy as the person goes by this name.

Margaret has the most possible diminutives of it's name but DH isn't keen. Maybe Margot or Greta or Pearl?

Hilda has the same meaning as my daughter and she was named after someone on my DH side of the family but it was also a nn that Hilda my gr, gr granny went by (which is Tilly - so Mathilda) I quite like Hilde but think it's possibly too old a name really.

Edna is not a name I am considering but I what about Eden? It also sounds a little bit like my brothers name (Dean) but I think he would love that wiht nn Edie.

Can you think of any other creative ways to use these names?

manicinsomniac Tue 16-Feb-16 12:25:15

I think you're overthinking it a bit - most of your mash up ideas don't really have any link to the original names, except in your own mind. If you're happy with that then that's fine but I wouldn't compromise on picking a name you really love for the sake of having a very tenuous family link (ie if you really love Miranda or Eden for example, then use them. But if you real love is, eg, Louisa and you aren't using it because it doesn't 'link' then don't worry about the linking thing.)

I guess you could use these (no less tenuous than your ideas though!):

Mara, Marguerite, Mariella, Marigold, Marina, Marianne, Maggie, Marissa, Maura, Hilary, Amy, Amelia, Amal, Amani, Amarillys, Edie, Edith

thebiscuitindustry Tue 16-Feb-16 12:42:14

Margaret - I like Greta, Pearl, Meg, Megan and Maisie

Mary - Miriam, Mariana, Marianne, Mariella, May, Marla

Marilyn - a blend of Mary and Lyn, so as above

Hilda - Avril (relates to the name Everhilda)

Edna - Edina, Ena, Eda, Enya. Edith or Eden with nn Edie

Baz13 Tue 16-Feb-16 12:48:12

manicinsomniac - I agree with what your saying.
I don't like some of the names for instance Margaret but I like the link to the person does that make sense? So I want to honour them but by not using their full names, just variations of.

I think thebiscuitindustry got what I meant and I just wanted a list of different names that were diminutives of them.

There are other names out there that I may choose, in which case these names could middle names.

Thank you anyway

Baz13 Tue 16-Feb-16 12:50:58

I like Edith and Enya.

VivaHate Tue 16-Feb-16 15:14:13

I love the name Mamie, it's what my wonderful grandma was known as. But not sure if it's more suitable as a nick/pet name?

nellyflora Tue 16-Feb-16 16:42:50

Margaret has lots of options I.e. Margot, Greta, Daisy, Pearl

I used Daisy myself instead of Margaret for my DD middle name as one of my grandmothers was Margaret (known as Peggy) the other had Margaret as her middle name ( I just didn't like her first name). They both liked flowers so Daisy it was LOL also subtle enough not to annoy my mother 😂

agentmillion Tue 16-Feb-16 16:58:55

Magda. It has the Mag for Margaret and 'da' to honour Hilda/Amanda. I once worked with a Magda (might have been short for Magdalena though) and I thought it was a lovely name.

Minniemagoo Tue 16-Feb-16 17:08:58

Megan/Meg/Meggie
Molly for Mary
Mari/Marita

zaza86 Wed 17-Feb-16 08:58:22

Marietta?

Micah Wed 17-Feb-16 09:03:14

I wouldnt go to cr8tiv, and mashups are just strange.

Have you thought about the names in other languages:

Elizabeth/isabel, jane/sian, paul/paulo, etc..

Mary for example is common across the world- mhairi, maria.

Vixxfacee Wed 17-Feb-16 09:03:44

Marley

TheNumberfaker Wed 17-Feb-16 09:19:36

I also don't see how you can honour someone if you're not actually using their name. I suppose Nigella could honour Nigel and Davina a David etc. but anything further removed than that just sounds a bit contrived IMO.

Why not just go with Amanda - lovable. Beautiful!

VinceNoirLovesHowardMoon Thu 18-Feb-16 17:08:41

These are so weird
Magda to honour Margaret and Amanda? If someone told me they decided to honour me by taking two letters of my name and finding a name that included it I'd be confused and wonder why you bothered.
Surely if you want to honour a relative you use their name as a middle name and be done. Mash ups are just bizarre. I have a friend who has made up weird middle names vaguely based around relatives names and they appear bonkers to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now