Talk

Advanced search

Help with welsh baby names!

(114 Posts)
SpecialStains Wed 03-Feb-16 14:10:33

Dh's family are welsh, and we're keen to use a welsh name for our baby.

The two we current like the best are Dylan for a boy and Ffion Gwyneth for a girl. Can anyone please suggest other welsh names for us to consider?

I'm not welsh at all, but a bit concerned that Dylan and Ffion are lovely names but a bit too popular - though that might not matter living in England. I was the most popular girls name for the year I was born and really want to avoid that for my baby!

Many thanks!

SpecialStains Wed 03-Feb-16 14:13:36

Sorry. Just realised there's another welsh names thread going ATM. Still any suggestions for names pronounceable by a very English mother would be appreciated!

CakeRattleandRoll Wed 03-Feb-16 15:06:02

I love Welsh names and have Welsh heritage, but DH vetoed all my choices. These are some of my favourites (avoiding difficult things like LL or RH pronunciation combos):

Osian
Taliesin
Griff
Emrys
Aneurin

Anwen
Arianwen
Eirlys
Carys
Aderyn

And Tirion - soooo wanted to use this, but ruined by GoT, which I have never even watched.

I doubt you'll find many Ffions or Gwyneths in England! Dylan is fairly popular though.

NealCaffreysHat Wed 03-Feb-16 15:11:28

Manon
Eira
Seren
Alaw
Fflur

Mabon
Arwel
Bryn
Macsen
Meirion
Enfys

SpecialStains Wed 03-Feb-16 15:12:14

Thanks for the suggestions. How would I pronounce Aneurin or Taliesin? Sorry if its a daft question, but I do like the look of the names written down. smile

SpecialStains Wed 03-Feb-16 15:13:25

How is Fflur pronounced as well please? All these questions I'd rather not ask dh family for fear of being laughed at!

BlueChampagne Wed 03-Feb-16 15:13:51

Olwen, Bethan or Sian

Idris, David or Owain

SpecialStains Wed 03-Feb-16 15:14:15

I like Bryn. Does it have an English equivalent?

SpecialStains Wed 03-Feb-16 15:15:16

Can't have Owen or Rhys due to close family members with those names. Which is a shame as I love Rhys.

Welshcake77 Wed 03-Feb-16 15:16:27

We are trying to decide on a Welsh middle name for DD2 due in April and are probably going to go with Seren.

Our other DD has Elin as her middle name.

Other girls names I love but don't work for us for various reasons are
Carys
Rhian
Dylis
Arwen
Siriol
Manon
Mair

My all time fave Welsh boys name is Rhys

Welshcake77 Wed 03-Feb-16 15:17:17

Ah cross post re Rhys!

mollie123 Wed 03-Feb-16 15:20:43

Love the name Guinevere or Gwenora - think of Lancelot and King Arthur
both are easy to pronounce

babyboyHarrison Wed 03-Feb-16 15:23:48

We named our little girl Megan. I have a very Welsh middle name but I'm not sure I would wish it on anyone (not because it's Welsh!) Myfanwy. I love Bryn for a boy.

SpecialStains Wed 03-Feb-16 15:23:51

Dylis is pretty! Lovely name choices for your girls welshcake!

I was a forces brat growing up so don't really have many roots, whereas dh has such fond memories of his welsh nan and tide and his mum's side of the family, and lived in Wales until he met me, so I'd really like to keep that part of my children's heritage going for them, despite the fact that it's unlikely we'll move back there.

Youreadthebabybooks Wed 03-Feb-16 15:25:11

Flur is like flea-r
Taliesin is tal--ee--eh-sin
Aneurin is a-ney-rin

welshweasel Wed 03-Feb-16 15:25:54

My Taliesin Rhys is 6 days old! If he'd been a girl he'd have been Aneira. I also liked Osian, Idris, Iolo, Ianto, Gruff.

CPtart Wed 03-Feb-16 15:30:46

Evan or Merryn ?

ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Wed 03-Feb-16 15:31:43

I like Angharad although im slightly biased, it means loved one. Seren, Megan and Owain are faves too.

SpecialStains Wed 03-Feb-16 15:32:17

Thanks for the help! I'm adding Bryn, Aneurin, Dylis and Fflur to the lists. All such lovely names! smile

I think we're set on Gwyneth as a middle girls name for dhs Nan, and Gareth as a middle boys name.

SpecialStains Wed 03-Feb-16 15:33:18

Merryn is lovely. How is Angharad pronounced?

SpecialStains Wed 03-Feb-16 15:36:43

Really, really like Dylis the more I think about it!

Frazzled2207 Wed 03-Feb-16 15:38:46

I have a Gethin.
Also considered Iwan, Ioan (yo-an), Emrys and Idris

SpecialStains Wed 03-Feb-16 15:45:54

Welshcake - if its a girl you have possibly named it Dylis.

Ioan is nice name. Hasn't grabbed me as much as Bryn though.

Can I just check that in Wales none of the names Dylan, Ffion, Dylis, Bryn, Fflur and Aneurin are too out there or odd or have strange connotations?

Thank you so much for all the lovely suggestions! I do love the sound of the welsh language.

SpecialStains Wed 03-Feb-16 15:51:24

Babyboy - I knew a lovely Myfanwy at school. It's a really nice name!

ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Wed 03-Feb-16 15:53:13

Ang-hah-rad is best to put it smile although personally a lot of people call me nicknames and not that due to pronunciation.
A pupil in a school I worked with is called Aneurin and had a few strange connotations of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now