Chester?

(35 Posts)
LadybirdSpots Wed 03-Feb-16 00:29:41

What's the general opinion on "Chester" for a boy?

We're having a boy and are really struggling for names. The only boys name I have ever absolutely loved is DSs name, Harry.

I wasn't bothered about Harry being popular as I loved it so much and I've never regretted it, but this time around I fancy something a little bit different.

Is Chester a "proper" name or do you think it sounds completely ridiculous?!

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 03-Feb-16 00:43:10

Chester drawers?

Also a place.

But what do I know, both Davina McCall and some other celebrity both have sons called Chester.

Luisanna Wed 03-Feb-16 00:53:01

Chester drawers was the first thing that came to my mind, even though I know it's 'chest of' and not Chester smile it does sound cute, just doesn't feel like a proper name to me

Tiggeryoubastard Wed 03-Feb-16 00:55:12

Fucking awful. You've given your other a nice name. Why on earth would you do that to a second child?

IoraRua Wed 03-Feb-16 07:18:43

Lovely for a horse. I know two four legged Chesters.
Awful for a human.

fatbottomgirl67 Wed 03-Feb-16 07:30:26

My ds 11 loves this name and is very cross we didn't choose it for him. Never thought of it at the time and to be fair I think it's a name for a big robust child and he's an adorable little squirt. Great name though. Never sure why people on Mn are so rude about names at least it's spelt properly

pieceofpurplesky Wed 03-Feb-16 07:44:42

I live there! It also makes me think drawers

PurpleDaisies Wed 03-Feb-16 07:51:08

I also know a horse called Chester. I don't like it at all sorry.

mayaknew Wed 03-Feb-16 07:55:28

Holly Willoughby has a son called Harry and a son called Chester.

Jw35 Wed 03-Feb-16 08:09:42

Sorry I hate it! Suggestions: Oscar, George, Alexander, Luke, Thomas.

LadybirdSpots Wed 03-Feb-16 10:00:25

Thank you for the replies and honest opinions!

I do love George but DP isn't convinced and I don't know if it would make me sound a bit Royal obsessed?!

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Wed 03-Feb-16 10:14:50

I am going shopping in Chester later...

Place names are quite trendy, I suppose.

I wouldn't choose it, as I know the city too well.

MitzyLeFrouf Wed 03-Feb-16 10:38:19

There are worse names. And Chet as a nickname is cool.

FlyDragonfly1 Wed 03-Feb-16 10:41:46

I quite like Chester.

The only problem I can see is that Holly Willoughby has two sons, Harry and Chester...so it might look like you were matching her.

On the other hand, I doubt many people would make the link - Chester is sweet.

Wardrobespierre Wed 03-Feb-16 10:46:02

Chester to me is a tall man with a ruddy complexion. Probably with a whiskey, beige chinos and a paunch. And a sovereign ring. Loud voice. I think he's American too. His tiny wife Marjorie thinks he's great. Most people disagree.

jedishelly1 Wed 03-Feb-16 10:46:42

My first thought was.the rhyming slang 'Charlie Chester ' for child molester. Sorry!

Quercus3 Wed 03-Feb-16 10:57:20

I know a lovely little boy called Chester, suits him

CottonFrock Wed 03-Feb-16 10:58:35

I fear it always reminds me of the huge, square-jawed, all-American bloke Charlotte Coleman's scatty Four Weddings and a Funeral character takes up with.

CottonFrock Wed 03-Feb-16 11:08:06

And tbh, I do find placenames as names quite weird, though they're quite conventional in a trendy kind of way at the moment. Calling a child 'Paris' indicates some kind of glossy, touristy blur with the Eiffel Tower sticking out of the middle, rather than an actual city with a ringroad and slummy suburbs. And 'Shannon' seems to have lost any connection at all to an actual place, and is 'generic girls' name' rather than, as it is for me, a run-down 1960s new town between the river of that name and an industrial estate and airport. You might as well call a child Milton Keynes or Ouse.

NoArmaniNoPunani Wed 03-Feb-16 15:14:30

I like it, but then my new baby has a very marmite name

DontKillMyVibe Wed 03-Feb-16 18:46:22

I don't like place names, sorry. Didn't know the names of Holly W's children but the fact that you would have identical names to 2 of hers would put me right off incase people thought I was doing it to copy here.

maitaimojito Wed 03-Feb-16 18:50:20

I would think of the singer from Linkin Park. I actually quite like it as a name.

MNetter15 Wed 03-Feb-16 18:52:45

I like it and think it goes quite well with Harry. Holly Willoughby also thinks so too grin

SpearmintLino Wed 03-Feb-16 18:56:08

Davina McCall has one too, if you're interested. wink

DontKillMyVibe Wed 03-Feb-16 19:01:45

I thought Davina and Holly are good mates? Would never call my child the same name that a close friend had already used. Though maybe celebs don't overthink things as much as I do grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now