Talk

Advanced search

River

(42 Posts)
brookeberry Tue 02-Feb-16 15:39:38

Hi all, I've asked about this before but it really is decision time for us very soon!

We are having a little boy and just can't settle on a name, but we both like River. We're not huge hippies (can you still say that word?), but we're not completely traditional either - artistic and nature-loving I suppose, with a toe in the business world.

But of course, it's about him - I think it sounds gentle but strong. What do you think?

MNemonica Tue 02-Feb-16 16:19:06

Depends on your surname. If your name is Dee / Trent / Aire or suchlike, avoid!

To answer your question, I think it sounds gentle but strong smile

brookeberry Tue 02-Feb-16 16:57:44

Haha, good point mnemonica ! Don't worry, we're safe grin

Sophronia Tue 02-Feb-16 17:02:12

It's not my usual style, but I actually like it a lot. smile

RiverTam Tue 02-Feb-16 17:04:33

Lovely! We had in on both our boy and girl lists.

Buttercup27 Tue 02-Feb-16 17:06:27

I think it's a very feminine name and a assumed you were having good a girl when reading the thread title.
I have known 1 river , who was a girl. Her sister was summer .

BikeRunSki Tue 02-Feb-16 17:07:30

I actually really like it, but I'd try and find a specific river to name after. Dd was very nearly Isis - another name for the Thames in Oxford - which I though my would have been excellent, as DH comes from Gloucestershire and I come from London. DH is more politically aware than me and refused. She's named after a valley where we used to live instead.

ChessieFL Tue 02-Feb-16 17:08:38

Just makes me think of Phoenix. People may think you've got the name from there.

AuntieStella Tue 02-Feb-16 17:15:09

My strongest association by far is a River Song in Doctor Who.

And as there are an awful lot of Whovians, I think that's going to be a pretty widespread and durable association.

tardis

So are you OK with a unisex name?

EmpressOfTheVulvaCupcakes Tue 02-Feb-16 17:18:17

My first thought was River Song too.

PuppyMonkey Tue 02-Feb-16 17:18:27

I think it's a bit.... naff. Sorry, it's the Doctor Who thing...

Actually the name Phoenix is ace. grin

Millipedewithherfeetup Tue 02-Feb-16 17:55:00

First thought was also river song from dr who, but i do like it, and also think its a name that works for little ones as well as teens and adults, can see a sporty teen boy called river, he's cool and clever too !

Fizrim Tue 02-Feb-16 17:58:45

I think of the actor as the first River I knew was a boy, now I know a girl and strongly suspect a Whovian choice.

EmpressOfTheVulvaCupcakes Tue 02-Feb-16 18:11:51

Mmm, River Song... I so would.

brookeberry Tue 02-Feb-16 18:28:12

Thanks for all the feedback smile

Yes I first heard it with River Phoenix (sigh). I know it's in Doctor Who (I stopped watching when David Tenant left!) but when I heard the name River Song (I love that actress) I thought it was even more beautiful. And I do like a unisex name.

puppy we were considering Phoenix as well! But decided that it was maybe too 'out there'.

bikeski funnily enough, there is a small connection to an actual river (a small one). We'd been ttc for a few years with many ups and downs and eventually got to the stage of giving up. We moved not too long ago to a house with an actual river at the bottom of the garden ( a wide stream, but like a river when it's been raining) and conceived within weeks of being here. Sorry if that sounds a bit naff!

Sofiria Tue 02-Feb-16 19:53:34

My first association was River Tam, but then I'm a geek.

GloriaHotcakes Tue 02-Feb-16 19:57:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

brookeberry Tue 02-Feb-16 20:00:28

sofiria I had to google - the only River Tam I know is on this thread! She looks very fabulous!

LaceyLee Tue 02-Feb-16 20:01:54

An actual, established name would be better. River would be a nice middle name though....

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 02-Feb-16 20:04:23

I like it.

Borninthe60s Tue 02-Feb-16 20:32:02

Don't like it and think its gender less.

AlmaMartyr Tue 02-Feb-16 20:33:38

I thought River Tam too! I think it's a great name though and would be fine for boy or girl.

VoldysGoneMouldy Tue 02-Feb-16 20:36:15

Think it's pretty awful tbh.

mrsschu Tue 02-Feb-16 20:38:01

I don't like it, it sounds very soft and yes, hippy-ish IMO. I might be ok for a baby/small child but I'm sceptical that it will suit a teenager or man. I would always think of River Phoenix as a first association.

ThursdayLastWeek Tue 02-Feb-16 20:42:30

I dont like it at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now