Juliet - having a wobble over pronunciation...

(68 Posts)
waxweasel Mon 01-Feb-16 18:42:41

DD2 is due in 2 months' time, and we're completely set on Juliet. It's been top of the list since before I even got pregnant smile

But I'm now having a bit of a stress over pronunciations. DH and I both pronounce it 'joo-lee-ET' (i.e stress on the final syllable). That is how we would want it to be pronounced. But I am sure I have heard people say 'JOO-lyut' (i.e stressing the first syllable). DH says that I'm talking nonsense and nobody says it that way.

I would rather spell it the English way (Juliet), but would people tend to use the JOOLyut pronunciation if I do? I guess the French spelling of Juliette suggests greater emphasis on the final syllable so might be more likely to give the pronunciation we want, but I just find it a bit too frilly and know the poor girl will be in for a lifetime of explaining the spelling...

What do you think?

BYOSnowman Mon 01-Feb-16 18:44:43

If you want it pronounced the French way I would spell it that way

To me - French spelling has a soft j and emphasis on et

English has hard j but also the et (so sounds like Julie with et at the end)

GoldPlatedBacon Mon 01-Feb-16 18:44:47

Completely over thinking!!!

Pronounced Joo-Lee-et

I very nearly chose Juliet, I prefer Juliette spelling but neither to me change the pronunciation

LottieDoubtie Mon 01-Feb-16 18:44:48

Pregnancy hormones- you are overthinking. Your DH is right.

Fizrim Mon 01-Feb-16 18:45:08

I would say Joo for Juliet tbh.

BertrandRussell Mon 01-Feb-16 18:45:22

Juliet is JOOL iet as in Romeo and ....

If you want the other pronunciation you'll have to go for the -ette spelling, I'm afraid.

How about Julia?

Wardrobespierre Mon 01-Feb-16 18:45:30

I think I agree with your DH. Never heard that pronunciation in my life.

DontKillMyVibe Mon 01-Feb-16 18:46:56

I agree with your DH!

DansonslaCapucine Mon 01-Feb-16 18:48:46

I pronounce it your way, regardless of spelling.

I will always have the Dire Straits song on my head to remind me. grin

I totally love Juliet. DS would've been Juliet.

grumpysquash2 Mon 01-Feb-16 18:49:28

I would pronounce Juliette as joo-lee-ET and Juliet as JOO-lee-et. Same sounds, different emphasis, both 3 syllables

PennyHasNoSurname Mon 01-Feb-16 18:51:03

Juliet (a name I considered) would be pronounced JulieETT in my house.

I wouldnt have used the Juliette spelling as its just too many unneccessary letters for my liking.

waxweasel Mon 01-Feb-16 18:53:56

Oh damn. Sounds like quite a few people would say pronounce it with the stress on the first syllable. Though I guess if we consistently pronounce it our way they should follow suit.

I really don't like Julia or Julie. They sound really middle aged to me.

I was so happy when people said I was overthinking because of pregnancy hormones! I lost weeks to stressing over DD1's name for all manner of crazy reasons at this point in pregnancy. Lots of people mispronounce hers but strangely it doesn't bother me, maybe because there is only one correct pronunciation so I can just disregard it as them being illiterate grin

NuggetofPurestGreen Mon 01-Feb-16 18:54:13

Well your DH is wrong as people on this thread would say JOOliet.

NuggetofPurestGreen Mon 01-Feb-16 18:55:36

I do think you are over thinking though! They don't sound massively different to me.

SoupDragon Mon 01-Feb-16 18:58:47

Surely no one pronounces it 'JOO-lyut' ? JOO-Lee-ett, yes but not the "lyut" bit.

PennyHasNoSurname Mon 01-Feb-16 18:59:57

Id find it really hard not to stand, arms thrown wide, rocking from left to right hollering "Hoooo leeeeee Ettttt ahhh" like in the Baz Lhurmann movie

randomJulie Mon 01-Feb-16 19:00:06

My name is the suggested, I think I would at least sometimes say JOOliet & don't know why you don't like that. I can't even hear the suggested other variations how to say it with this or that subtlety on the J etc. Wonders how freaked out OP would be about Juls or Jazza. <Shrug>

disappoint15 Mon 01-Feb-16 19:00:41

Well, if you think of how you would pronounce the Shakespeare play, the emphasis is on the first syllable. It's not 'Romeo and Juli-ETT', it's 'Romeo and JOOL-iet'. But I think in practice the difference is quite subtle.

3point14159265359 Mon 01-Feb-16 19:01:14

To me, there's two names, Jool-yet, and Joo-lee-et and they're both spelled Juliet.

I'd definitely follow the parents' pronounciation but anyone reading it wouldn't know which. Unless you use Juliette.

Pipistrella Mon 01-Feb-16 19:02:33

There was a little Juliette at our school, whose family was Belgian, and her mum said 'JuliETTE' which was lovely but everyone else said JUliet.

I don't think you can count on it being said how you like, sadly.

I like it whichever way you say it tbh - it was high up on my girl list spelled with a G (Giulietta) smile

EcclefechanTart Mon 01-Feb-16 19:17:00

I would pronounce this as in Romeo and Juliet - JOOL-iet. The other pronunciation wouldn't even occur to me, sorry.

Fourormore Mon 01-Feb-16 19:23:28

I am sat here saying it over and over and can't for the life of me hear the difference between the two. Juliette and Juliet are the same to me, except in a French accent where the first one becomes more Yuliette.

LordOfMisrule Mon 01-Feb-16 19:23:42

DH is right.

Fayrazzled Mon 01-Feb-16 19:29:10

I'm with you Fourormore, I have no idea what the difference between Juliet and Juliette is.

NotTheGoodLife Mon 01-Feb-16 19:31:43

DH's pronunciation is right

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now