Talk

Advanced search

Why do friends ask for our name choices...

(15 Posts)
Peanutbutternutter419 Tue 26-Jan-16 15:29:00

And then just find something really negative or an annoying comparison to them?!
Sorry I know that I am being silly as I should just keep our options to ourselves but found a name that both me and DH like and even DS is on board so when friends asked if we had any choices, I excitedly told them that we had finally found one we all loved. The reaction was...
Alice, Alice...who the f* is Alice!! Que laughing from friend and her DH!!
Really!!!! Grow up!!

regenerationfez Tue 26-Jan-16 15:32:01

What idiots! Alice is a lovely name. That song is quite old and I haven't heard it for years. that line is twattish in itself and ruins a decent song .Don't tell people your name choice until the birth.

Sophronia Tue 26-Jan-16 15:41:37

Just ignore them. Alice is a lovely name.

Peanutbutternutter419 Tue 26-Jan-16 15:45:33

I know I shouldn't let it get to me but it's just annoying. Why ask if you are going to be immature about suggestions though!
I really don't like one of their DCs middle names but never would have even shown an inkling of this when they were talking about theirs!

Kittykatmacbill Tue 26-Jan-16 21:39:43

Never ever tell anyone until you have the baby in your arms, if they insist (sil I am looking at you) say brandi-Lou. grin

Champagneformyrealfriends Tue 26-Jan-16 23:09:47

I loved Alice but everyone sang that to me too. It's a very old song now to be fair.

When I tell my mum names I like she just says, "I don't like that." As if it's upto her. hmm

NadiaWadia Wed 27-Jan-16 03:36:32

It's a dated and stupid song. The name Alice is beautiful and timeless.

BikeRunSki Wed 27-Jan-16 04:18:44

I'm called Alice. That song was mildly annoying for about 2 weeks, about 20 years ago; other than that Alice has served me well. Your friend is being an idiot.

Hayelp Wed 27-Jan-16 04:23:21

Alice is a very pretty name. Never heard of that song.

TheDowagerCuntess Wed 27-Jan-16 04:28:12

Alice is a beautiful name - don't let them dissuade you.

And don't tell anyone else, in the meantime!

Holly34 Wed 27-Jan-16 04:53:50

Agree!! Dont tell anyone.. I made that mistake and each person on my side and DH side had one thing or another to say about our chosen name!! Don't let anyone change your mind!! tell them to fuck off

Chottie Wed 27-Jan-16 04:57:44

Alice is a lovely name - ignore, ignore, ignore.

p.s. congratulations on your pregnancy smile

hawaiibaby Wed 27-Jan-16 22:20:28

Alice is lovely - some people will always find something negative to say. My mum when I mentioned Violet, paused and said 'oh that was the harlet sister from 'keeping up appearances.' WTF? Harlet? And that show must be 25 years old, and Violet wasn't even IN it!

I told her she'd had her time to name her babies, our choices have nothing to do with her. Grrr.

This made me laugh about name choosing and other people's opinions www.baby.co.uk/mum_stories/how-to-name-a-baby-in-20-easy-steps/

BetweenTwoLungs Wed 27-Jan-16 22:47:18

I'm an Alice and I adore my name. Please do choose it, my name has served me well.

I've found that the best response to that particular song being sung at you is a blank stare and a completely straight face. Literally no response, just stare at them. Draws attention to how unfunny it is.

But to be honest the only time it was ever sung at me was behind the bar in a dodgy pub.

cautiousoptimist1 Thu 28-Jan-16 16:24:57

Alice is my favourite girls name so far but it does make me think of that song so it's nice to read from real life Alice's that they weren't too traumatised by it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now