What does everyone dislike this name?

(81 Posts)
Izzyathome Thu 21-Jan-16 06:43:10

We're more and more loving the name Archer for our bump if blue. Full name I think would be Archer James W..... (2 syllables).
Archer was my husband's grandfather's name and he was apparently named after a Nobel Prize winning chemist Archer Martin. To me it sounds strong but also nice and olde in a Victorian sort of way.
I know everyone will say if we love it we should go for it... BUT general opinion seems to be against it - esp on baby naming websites!
To my mind this spy tv show of the same name is hardly mainstream and will be over before he's even a toddler?
What are your thoughts good or bad?? If anyone out there loves it let me know! smile. Otherwise it's back to the long list....

0verNow Thu 21-Jan-16 06:44:32

I like it. My first crush was called Tim Archer and it makes me think of him!

Scarydinosaurs Thu 21-Jan-16 06:45:17

I don't mind it. But I am a fan of a simple tale of country folk.

HelpfulChap Thu 21-Jan-16 06:46:44

I like it. Got a certain ring to it.

BooAvenue Thu 21-Jan-16 06:47:20

Reminds me of the archers tbh. Or Archie with a twist! Or in a Scottish accent archer having a nice time.

Fairylea Thu 21-Jan-16 06:50:34

I think it's nice, quite unusual. I think for a baby I'd end up calling him Archie.

Seashell70 Thu 21-Jan-16 06:57:09

Not keen sorry. I like your background history to the name and that gives the name more strength. However if I didn't know that back story and I was introduced to an Archer I would honestly think you had been trying hard to be different.

It's a fine name but to me there's too much effort in it, sorry. Being honest

milkysmum Thu 21-Jan-16 06:57:26

I like it but can imagine when he's little he might get Archie quite a lot- would that bother you?

IfItsGoodEnough4ShirleyBassey Thu 21-Jan-16 07:03:52

I think it's definitely unusual but I rather like it. Masculine and old fashioned in a good way. He will have to clarify that it's his given name not his surname a lot though.

sandgrown Thu 21-Jan-16 07:08:41

I am not a fan of unusual names but I actually like it. And I like the family history .

Mrsindecision Thu 21-Jan-16 07:12:05

Love the back story - yes, you should definitely use it - it's different without being odd - easy to spell and pronounce - AND both you and your husband love it!! Sounds like you've discovered the perfect name for your DS! No need to go back to the long list!

HPFA Thu 21-Jan-16 07:12:37

I like the name too but I agree about the surname/forename mix-up. Someone I know called their son the equivalent of "Clark James" (James being the surname not a middle name) and said it caused endless confusion.

Izzyathome Thu 21-Jan-16 07:13:34

Thanks for the honest opinions, I want to hear the bad with the good. There seem to be a lot of different cultural references attached to it hmmm. Also don't want my baby's name to seem too 'trendy' - which hadn't occurred to me too it was pointed out as such. Nice to hear that other people out there also like the sound of it though.

Piratespoo Thu 21-Jan-16 07:13:38

There is an Archer in my ds class. When I first heard it I thought, hmm, unusual, now I don't give it a second thought. Use it if you like it!

OddBoots Thu 21-Jan-16 07:14:08

It's a nice name which he can turn to Archie if he wants to 'tone it down'.

As a Greys Anatomy/Private Practice fan it makes me think of Addison's philandering brother.

Xmasbaby11 Thu 21-Jan-16 07:14:24

It just sounds like a surname to me.

BalloonSlayer Thu 21-Jan-16 07:14:47

I really like it (and I don't normally like anything unusual).

I like Archie but I am not keen on abbreviated names as the given name, eg I think if you want to call your DD Rosie you should call her Rose, not Rosie etc. (I even think all Harries should be called Henry, I'm that snotty about it.) But as the only long version of Archie - I thought! - was Archibald it was a name I shrank from. But Archer is great.

Long winded I know but basically - thumbs up from me!

ChipInTheSugar Thu 21-Jan-16 07:14:58

I like it too. It's different when people are presented with just a name rather than a gorgeous baby with that name.

Go for it, definitely but be prepared for people to call him Archie

WinterBabyof89 Thu 21-Jan-16 07:15:58

I like it smile

kelda Thu 21-Jan-16 07:20:24

I really like it.

goddessofsmallthings Thu 21-Jan-16 07:23:04

I like the family history but imo the name is more suited to being a second or third Christian name as there's many better sounding names for boys.

Fatrascals Thu 21-Jan-16 07:23:56

Go for it! It's a great name- nothing wierd or try hard about it at all.

sooperdooper Thu 21-Jan-16 07:27:20

I love it and love the family history of it too, do it - I think you'll regret it if you don't

WizardOfToss Thu 21-Jan-16 07:27:56

I don't like it, because I would think of it as a surname and I'm prejudiced against the trend of surnames as first names.

It doesn't matter a jot though, it's certainly not a daft name, and I'm only posting to give you another perspective on what people might think but not say!

AuntieStella Thu 21-Jan-16 07:28:39

I'm not keen on surnamey names generally.

I don't like this one because the first thing I thought of was the notorious former MP/author/convict, and even the merest prospect of 'Archer as in Jeffrey?' would be too much for me.

This is pretty mainstream (I'd never heard of the TV series you mention BTW) as Jeffrey is still mentioned on programmes like HIGNFY as an archetype, his trial gave us a specific new meaning of the word 'fragrant', and of course he's still alive so potential to hit the headlines yet again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now