Talk

Advanced search

Thinking of changing 7 weeks olds name!

(39 Posts)
Wineandpopcorn Tue 19-Jan-16 12:03:14

My DD is 7 weeks old, and my husband has never been happy with her name. I am now also starting to have doubts, and am wondering if we should change it! Has anyone else changed the name quite late on?

Gunting Tue 19-Jan-16 13:02:38

What is your baby's name?

Wineandpopcorn Tue 19-Jan-16 13:21:29

Her name is Willow

sofiahelins Tue 19-Jan-16 13:22:55

It's a gorgeous name but if you have doubts and are certain about another name it can be done relatively easily under one year.

Sunshine511 Tue 19-Jan-16 13:23:31

Is there a name that you and DP definitely prefer and think would be more suited to your daughter? If not, you might just be feeling anxious about it because naming a child is a big decision!x

MamaLazarou Tue 19-Jan-16 13:23:59

If neither of you love it, then definitely change it. You will both have to say it several times a day for the rest of your lives so you may as well choose something you both love!

squoosh Tue 19-Jan-16 13:23:59

7 weeks is no time at all. If there's another name you both prefer go for it.

Sunshine511 Tue 19-Jan-16 13:24:01

I also think willow is a gorgeous name x

MamaLazarou Tue 19-Jan-16 13:24:36

(I love the name Willow, btw. But that's beside the point!)

Lebkuchenlover Tue 19-Jan-16 13:30:05

Willow is lovely!

InternationalHouseofToast Tue 19-Jan-16 13:32:04

what's her middle name? Could you call her that instead?

morningmistermagpie Tue 19-Jan-16 13:42:32

Nothing wrong with Willow. Have you gone off the name or think it doesn't suit her?

Claraoswald36 Tue 19-Jan-16 13:51:08

Oh I love love love willow. Unhelpful I know grin

wigglesrock Tue 19-Jan-16 13:51:47

I think it's lovely - not my choice but it's a lovely name. Have you gone off it? or has someone said something fucking irritating "helpful". I know people who've changed their child's name slightly - along the lines of Hugo to Hugh. Change it if you are both genuinely unhappy with it, but you loved it for a reason, you wouldn't want to regret changing it on a wobble.

ghnocci Tue 19-Jan-16 13:57:23

I think Willow is lovely but a friend recently changed their DD's name at a similar age, so you won't be the first!

Burgatroyd Tue 19-Jan-16 14:44:20

I changed dd's name. Felt emotional about it at first and now its no big deal! No one remembers.

You have a year. Original name will always remain on cert with new name at the bottom.

My only advice is not to rush it. Take the year if you need to to make sure as you can only change it the once

Missmonkey123 Tue 19-Jan-16 15:33:54

Hi I changed my DD name from Louisa to Louise about 5 years ago. Only a slight change but so glad i did!
The process was easy. I rang the registry office and they booked an appointment. I filled out a form and that was it!
Her name at the top will be Willow but in section 17 (I think it says changed or other names cant remember) it will be whatever you change it to.
Simple process, just do it before they are 12 months!
Had no problem in regards to passports etc etc she is down on the system now as Louise NOT Louisa. The only give away is the top of her birth certificate.

Good luck.

Wineandpopcorn Tue 19-Jan-16 16:43:51

I did love the name, but various family members have really put me off by being rude about it, and my husband also doesn't lover it, ggrrrrr! !!

Wineandpopcorn Tue 19-Jan-16 16:44:20

My husband wants to change it to Scarlett

AnotherEmma Tue 19-Jan-16 16:47:36

I much prefer Willow to Scarlett, but my opinion doesn't matter. What about you? Do you like Scarlett? Other family members don't matter, but you and DH need to both like the name. I would keep the discussion between the two of you until you've decided. Then present a united front to family members - challenge people who criticise and back each other up.

squoosh Tue 19-Jan-16 16:50:04

Ignore 'various family members'. It's what you and your husband think that counts. But there's no point changing it if you yourself aren't hugely keen on the name Scarlett.

OhShutUpThomas Tue 19-Jan-16 16:50:58

Willows lovely. Scarlett not so much.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 19-Jan-16 16:51:34

If you like Scarlett as well, I'd change it.

brookeberry Tue 19-Jan-16 16:54:00

Not helpful, but Willow is beautiful. I guess it would help if you and DH agree (or one is happy to give in!). We are trying to decide on a name just now, we both love one but I know family won't and we'll just have to ignore them grin

Sunshine511 Tue 19-Jan-16 17:00:33

Scarlett is lovely but you may find she might get the nn Scar, which I think is awful! Worth bearing in mind before doing a name change.x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now