Talk

Advanced search

Flowery name + Wood.... surname = a creature from Narnia?

(15 Posts)
Azure83 Sun 17-Jan-16 18:33:00

For some reason I tend to like flower names for girls, like Jasmine and Lilly. I also like Robin for a boy. Our surname begins with Wood so I'm wondering if together it sounds like some mythical woodland fairy creature or something..?

Sunshine511 Sun 17-Jan-16 18:35:52

I like them all!! Think they sound great with your surname 😃

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 17-Jan-16 18:36:33

I think of a house name with Robin Wood. I think you have to be a bit careful of place names with Wood, rather than mythical creature.

MrsHathaway Sun 17-Jan-16 18:50:22

I agree - annoying as it is, I'd avoid vocabulary first name with a vocabulary surname, because it does sound like it could be a new-build estate or something.

Have you looked at other names which have nature meanings but aren't English common nouns? I'm thinking of maybe Jemima which means bird, or Flora which means flower.

iciclewinter Sun 17-Jan-16 19:07:32

I agree with MrsHathaway.

Sophronia Sun 17-Jan-16 19:35:21

Robin Wood is too close to Robin Hood, I think.

The others are ok, I like Jasmine Wood.

iwouldgoouttonight Sun 17-Jan-16 20:37:08

I think if your surname was just Wood they might sound a bit like a place name but did you mean it just starts with Wood (eg Woodford, Woodhouse, etc)? In which case I think they all sound fine. Love the name Robin btw.

Dogadviceneeded Sun 17-Jan-16 21:00:44

Jasmin Wood, Lilly Wood - lovely

Robin Wood, Bluebell Wood, Rowan Wood - no

Diggum Sun 17-Jan-16 21:03:06

Agree with pp. If your surname just begins with Wood- Woodhouse, Woodham etc., then I think any of your choices would be perfect.

Though if it's Woodhouse I would of course have to suggest Emma.

SoWhite Sun 17-Jan-16 21:07:23

Robin Wood is stupid. You're asking for his pals in the pub to be called his Merry Men.

SellFridges Sun 17-Jan-16 21:08:22

We kept away from nature names for that reason. Our surname is water related so think Lily Rivers. Sounds daft and a bit cheap to my ear.

Ham69 Sun 17-Jan-16 21:13:10

I think it's fine, as long as it's not Holly grin

HainaultViaNewburyPark Sun 17-Jan-16 21:19:29

I knew a Holly Wood - her parents were disappointed that she took her husband's name when she got married confused

Assuming Wood is only part of your surname, I think your suggested names are fine though.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sun 17-Jan-16 21:23:30

grin. Robin Wood. I never thought of that until I read Sophrinas comment. You couldn't do that to a child. Jasmine Wood is gorgeous. I think there's a singer called Lily Wood. If that bothers you.

mathanxiety Mon 18-Jan-16 02:14:32

You could go with something a little less obvious that is still floral or plantey --
Daphne
Chloe
Aven
Cicely
Veronica
Linden
and the Irish unisex name Dara (= oak)

I would avoid Robin Wood, though I like the name Robin.

I love Jasmine. Also Jessamine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now