Talk

Advanced search

Initials...overthinking?

(25 Posts)
Monkeymonstermum Sun 17-Jan-16 15:20:33

Number 3 expected soon - like Francesca and Felicity if it's a girl.....our surname begins with O .....is this a problem do you think? When I asked my friend she said "what, foreign office?" But I'm worried school may be an issue. We will have middle names, so full initials will likely be FSMO or FMSO.
Opinions please!

KaraokeQueenOfTheNorth Sun 17-Jan-16 15:21:40

Completely overthinking. The initials FO are fine.

Vixxfacee Sun 17-Jan-16 15:21:43

No issue AT all.

NoncommittalToSparkleMotion Sun 17-Jan-16 15:22:24

It really wouldn't occur to me.

PitBlackwell Sun 17-Jan-16 15:25:00

It really wouldn't occur to me that meant Foreign Office and I speak as someone who inadvertently gave their child terrible initials. blush

sugarplumfairy28 Sun 17-Jan-16 15:32:06

I wouldn't worry, our DD's initials are OK! Although full initials are ODAK

Monkeymonstermum Sun 17-Jan-16 15:41:40

Oh no, foreign office wasn't the problem - it was 'f**k off' I was thinking of being a problem at school!! My friend didn't get it either and could only come up with foreign office when I mentioned it!

SquadGoals Sun 17-Jan-16 15:42:14

I was thinking along the lines of another F O rather than Foreign Office.

Don't see it as a problem. Although we did have a snigger when we realised our mate's initials were VAG.

BikeRunSki Sun 17-Jan-16 15:43:57

overthinking

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sun 17-Jan-16 16:02:47

Even if people did think 'foreign office' why would that be a problem? It's not a negative connotation, surely?
Definitely over thinking.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sun 17-Jan-16 16:03:24

And as Squad says, another FO comes to mind before Foreign Office.

oenophilia Sun 17-Jan-16 16:18:14

As someone who had those initials prior to marrying, I can say that I'm afraid it was an issue especially in my teens. At school I had to have my initials embroidered on my PE bag, which caused much hilarity on the bus. Even when I was working when papers were circulated for meetings they were addressed to FO. I have an older sister with the same initials, so it obviously didn't occur to our parents. We have been very, very careful with the children's initials as it still makes me squirm.

nightandthelight Sun 17-Jan-16 16:40:50

That would never occur to me, I really wouldn't worry smile

MiddleClassProblem Sun 17-Jan-16 16:45:44

I was like that with initials too. I wouldn't go for things that could be turned into teen taunts, same with names. That's my personal choice though and I'm def in a minoroty

bbpp Sun 17-Jan-16 18:07:57

Don't think it's a big deal, I wouldn't notice it. Took 10 years for anyone to notice my sisters initials were LGB though so maybe I'm not very observant to that sort of thing.

GruntledOne Mon 18-Jan-16 10:51:52

To be honest, I think it would be a problem. I'm one that immediately thought "Fuck Off" before "Foreign Office" and others will be the same, no matter how many middle names she has. People on here say they wouldn't notice it but, trust me, other children definitely will.

tinytoucan Mon 18-Jan-16 23:11:28

I really wouldn't have thought that until you said it, so I think you'd be fine.

The initials thing can be a nightmare though- one of our favourite names starts with F and our surname starts with T, I really had wanted to give my daughter (if it's a girl- won't know til the day!) the middle name Anne but I don't think that will be happening!!

IoraRua Mon 18-Jan-16 23:12:48

I immediately thought Fuck Off.
Sorry, OP.

cocacola1006 Mon 18-Jan-16 23:20:10

Haha definitely wasn't foriegn office that came to mind. But if you always put a middle name in then I guess you wouldn't notice

MummyZELC Mon 18-Jan-16 23:25:17

Fuck Off didn't occur to me tbh and I'm usually the first to spot something along those lines blush
I think unless initials are something like BJ which is commonly abbreviated then you have nothing to worry about smile

MyCatIsABiggerBastardThanYours Mon 18-Jan-16 23:35:12

I think FO would be a problem, sorry. Not now but teenagers would quite possibly pick up on that at secondary school.

MummyZELC Tue 19-Jan-16 00:01:20

People say F Off not F O

Tiggeryoubastard Tue 19-Jan-16 00:04:06

It's fine. However if she was to be called Olivia Deirdre Francesca Ophelia Dennison then that would be a legend problem, on Mumsnet at least.

MiddleClassProblem Tue 19-Jan-16 07:45:07

I think that if a number of people in this thread picked up on it the number that say it doesn't matter is kinda irrelevant. If adults thought it then teens will.

Monkeymonstermum Tue 19-Jan-16 19:36:25

Oh dear......but thanks for the replies.......need more inspiration for girls names then!
Xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now