Thomas or Matthew?

(39 Posts)
iloveMrBloom Wed 13-Jan-16 18:37:48

Just that really. Think we're (finally!) down to our final two names for DS1, due imminently!

It would really help if you could vote for your favourite, with reasons if possible. We'll likely wait and see what he looks like too, but in the meantime we'd love to get an idea of what people think of the two choices.

DD is Naomi if that makes a difference.

Thank you!! x

GunShotResidue Wed 13-Jan-16 18:40:10

Matthew.

I like both names, but that's my favourite. It would be my first choice for DS (due may) but I have a close friend with the name so think it would be weird!

IoraRua Wed 13-Jan-16 18:45:07

Matthew. I've never liked Thomas, for some reason. Maybe it's the train.

I know you are down to two options and probably don't want another but I think Matthias is nice, and the ending is similar to Thomas...feel free to ignore though!

Forgetmenotblue Wed 13-Jan-16 18:46:15

Matthew. Lovely under used name.

seafoodeatit Wed 13-Jan-16 18:48:10

Mathew, I think it's much nicer.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 13-Jan-16 18:48:52

Matthew

Sophronia Wed 13-Jan-16 18:53:30

Love both, and both go well with Naomi, but I'll say Matthew as it's less popular.

Sophronia Wed 13-Jan-16 18:54:19

(Thomas was ranked #6 last year and Matthew #49)

ReggaeShark Wed 13-Jan-16 18:55:32

Like them both but prefer Matthew.

Also prefer Matt to Tom.

Jenijena Wed 13-Jan-16 18:58:29

I like both a lot (would be first choice but unable to use for various reasons). Matthew has the advantage of not being associated with an irritating train character, which when they're pre school age will be a blessing...

Sunshine511 Wed 13-Jan-16 18:59:44

Another vote for Matthew x

froggyjump Wed 13-Jan-16 19:36:10

sorry, I'm the opposite to everyone else so far, I much prefer Thomas to Matthew. Probably just a personal connection though, I work with 2 Matts, both very well educated professionals, both thoroughly wet and ineffectual and unable to make a decision.

Sorry to all strong, decisive, go getting Matthews out there!

nextusername Wed 13-Jan-16 21:05:00

I prefer Thomas. Matthew sounds a bit whiny to me, and I think Tom sounds nicer than Matt as a nickname.

daisydalrymple Wed 13-Jan-16 21:16:19

These were our final choices for dc3 grin we then let ds1 and dd choose when they met him! (It was going to be thomas Matthew or Matthew thomas either way). I've always loved Matthew, wanted it for ds1, but DH vetoed. And the train got the vote off the dcs. I still try out Matthew every so often with a pang of longing! Both great names!

DramaAlpaca Wed 13-Jan-16 21:20:30

I love both & can't decide which I like best. Sorry, not very helpful!

TheWoollybacksWife Wed 13-Jan-16 21:23:11

Both are lovely classic names.

I prefer Thomas though, but I'm biased wink

timelytess Wed 13-Jan-16 21:24:19

Yes.
Either.
Excellent names.

BikeRunSki Wed 13-Jan-16 21:25:44

Matthew, for all the reasons given.

ifcatscouldtalk Wed 13-Jan-16 21:31:11

Thomas is my fave boys name that i never got to use! wink but matthew is lovely too. You'll know which ones right when you see him.

NoncommittalToSparkleMotion Wed 13-Jan-16 21:32:48

I like Matthew with Naomi

ThisFenceIsComfy Wed 13-Jan-16 21:35:36

Thomas! Although Matthew is lovely too. Thomas just seems a good strong name but like a pp, I'm biased wink

daisydalrymple Thu 14-Jan-16 07:19:17

Just noticed you said you're due imminently! Please come back and update us when he's arrived grin

Absolutelyfabulously Thu 14-Jan-16 10:13:01

I prefer Thomas, despite the train, a name you really can't go wrong with throughout all stages of life. Matthew just doesn't look or sound as nice to me. And the nickname Matt, which I imagine he will be called a lot, just doesn't have the same appeal as the handsome Tom!

Which sounds better with your surname, perhaps that will help you separate the two?

Please do update, all the best!

Copperkettle Thu 14-Jan-16 10:18:25

Well Matthew wins on here but obviously irl people prefer Thomas as it's much more popular.
I like both.

SnuffleGruntSnorter Thu 14-Jan-16 10:29:03

I couldn't use either name (close family members) but I think both are lovely. Slight preference for Matthew but whatever you choose you're onto a winner

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now