Like William, George, Harry, Henry

nextusername Wed 13-Jan-16 13:07:23

Yes, I would say so.

Bluesand1 Wed 13-Jan-16 14:22:25

Thanks

Movingonmymind Wed 13-Jan-16 14:26:09

Yes

Ilovegummibears Wed 13-Jan-16 14:26:41

It is a classic in that it has been around for a long time.

However, having been THE most popular boys name for a number of years recently, I think, it is also a currently trendy name and will probably sound a little dated in 20-30 years. Maybe like Stephen now?

Bluesand1 Wed 13-Jan-16 14:38:25

I guess Henry and George for example were probably considered dated 15 years ago...none at my school
James and Thomas are the only ones I can think of popular for many many years

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 13-Jan-16 14:49:03

Yes. Although I tend to normally think of classic names as royal names.

Bluesand1 Wed 13-Jan-16 18:34:44

Yeah good point
Lots of toddler Olivers but I wonder if it will now start to decline

nellyflora Wed 13-Jan-16 18:46:17

Yes classic very strong history (Oliver Cromwell so not a royal name). Currently popular but they all go in and out of fashion. Henry, George and William also currently popular but were not when I was a child John, Robert , Richard , Stephen are currently out of fashion but equally classic and probably will be back at top again within a generation. Basically they have history to them and are not likely to disappear completely.

Sophronia Wed 13-Jan-16 18:57:37

Classic, but not as classic as James, for example, which has been consistently popular for decades.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Wed 13-Jan-16 19:03:19

Yes, as others have said, classic in that the name has been around for centuries and is still a good name. No in that, like Richard, Paul & other examples given above, it's popularity will rise and fall dramatically over the years.

The boys' names I can bring to mind that I would call truly "classic" - that span every generation and always have done - are James, Thomas and Matthew. Possibly Marcus too actually.

CuriousCarrot Fri 15-Jan-16 23:08:22

I would say so.

I think it's went up in popularity in recent years. I've come across a few little Oliver's recently.

It's still a classic however.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now