Talk

Advanced search

Oliver or Samuel

(10 Posts)
Bluesand1 Mon 11-Jan-16 14:19:17

We've decided on Oliver. My only reservation is its popularity (although in reality I know more Josephs etc) otherwise we love it. Should that put you off? I like Samuel too but husband not keen on Sam. Thsnks

Stollenlover Mon 11-Jan-16 14:26:01

Both Sam and Ollie are very very popular around here. Personally I'd choose a less trendy name, but if those are the only two you love, then choose the one that fits better with your surname imo.

Bluesand1 Mon 11-Jan-16 14:33:24

Ah I didn't realise they would be considered trendy. Thought that was more the unusual ones coming through or names like Alfie Charlie etc Something to think about Thanks

nextusername Mon 11-Jan-16 14:44:52

I prefer Oliver. If you like it, go for it smile I think it's a popular classic rather than trendy.

Myfanwyprice Mon 11-Jan-16 14:49:52

My ds is Samuel, he's almost 10 and is just starting to be called Sam a bit, but is still mostly Samuel.

I know I'm biased but, I think it is such a lovely name, and although you hear it sometimes it's not ridiculously popular, there are 2 others in his school of 180 pupils and I've got a friend who's nephew is Samuel - that Samuel has a brother called Oliver!

Ilovegummibears Mon 11-Jan-16 14:50:08

Wasn't Oliver THE most popular boys names a few years ago, for a number of years in a row? It is a nice name but there are a lot of little Olivers/Ollies out there!

Bluesand1 Mon 11-Jan-16 16:17:32

Yes a top name along with Jack Jacob etc

pilates Mon 11-Jan-16 16:26:04

It wouldn't put me off, but I don't get het up at having a child with a popular name. I wouldn't call them trendy names either just classic and will not date.

Montsti Mon 11-Jan-16 20:19:50

Both lovely (Oliver slightly more lovely) and certainly not trendy...classic and popular but I never understand why that would put someone off if they love the name...why choose a name you like less?? My son has 3 Luke's in his class and 2 Gemmas and 2 James which wouldn't be considered as popular as the above 2...no Oliver's or Samuels fwiw...obviously there will be a few around but I wouldn't go out of your way to find an unusual name as you'll be much more irritated if there's another one in your child's class/social circle.

Good luck!

ashesandfire Mon 11-Jan-16 22:10:02

I love Samuel. Dd would have been Samuel if she'd been a boy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now