Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

baby name

(32 Posts)
Froggy34 Sun 10-Jan-16 21:21:33

I am having this real problem about my baby's name. We chose the name Orla but then when she was 6 months i suddenly thought I preferred Poppy. We always liked Poppy but someone else we knew called there baby Poppy when we were both pregnant.
I also have a 3 and 5 year old, would they find it hard/weird to call her something else?she is now 8 months old

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sun 10-Jan-16 21:28:10

I think they probably would yes and not only that but at 6 months Orla will know her name. What happens if 6 months down the line you go off Poppy.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Sun 10-Jan-16 21:28:31

What's her middle name?

Can you call her that?

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sun 10-Jan-16 21:28:47

Oh she's 8 months old
No you definitely can't change it. IMO.

DMS05 Sun 10-Jan-16 21:29:55

Please don't change it...

Froggy34 Sun 10-Jan-16 21:34:31

Yes but it niggles me everyday,so much so I now suffer with anxiety and PND and am on medication!!my husband isn't keen on this but would consider it as he loves me!

ThursdayLastWeek Sun 10-Jan-16 21:37:36

Orla is a really beautiful name.

I think it would probably be a bit confusing for your other DC.

CelestiaLuna Sun 10-Jan-16 23:47:08

If you are certain you prefer Poppy to Orla I would just change it and have it done.
Under a year it is really easy to change the baby's name and yes it might be a bit confusing for all initially but in the long run it will be for the best, if of course you are absolutely certain Poppy is the right name.
Good luck!

calzone Sun 10-Jan-16 23:49:33

Orla is beautiful.

Poppy is ok.

I would love to be called Orla at my age but not so keen on being called Poppy as it sounds a bit twee.

hownottofuckup Sun 10-Jan-16 23:51:47

I would be very surprised if your concern over her name wasn't a symptom of your PND and anxiety rather than the course.

However, she's still tiny if you really want to change it and your husband is on board then do. Re your other DC, talk to them and see what they say. Even if they aren't keen some gentle encouragement is likely to won them round.

Froggy34 Mon 11-Jan-16 08:20:00

The trouble is I already have a DS(think that's right!)with the initial O and a DS with the initial L and my 8month DD is an O as well so I feel my middle child will think he is different and also I can't cope with having children with an O,L and O!!what to do???!!!

pilates Mon 11-Jan-16 09:00:41

Orla is a gorgeous name, think it's a bit late to change.

BikeRunSki Mon 11-Jan-16 09:06:10

Oral is s far nicer name than Poppy. With 2 older children who are used to her being called Orla, I would stick with it.

ThursdayLastWeek Mon 11-Jan-16 09:06:26

Froggy, I honestly don't think you need to do anything about the names. No one will ever even notice their initials except in maybe in passing.

I do think however, that if this is upsetting you so much a conversation with your doctor can't hurt.

Ilovegummibears Mon 11-Jan-16 14:41:43

It doesn't matter which name we prefer, you've got to be happy with your choice. If you prefer Poppy that much and really want to change her name, the sooner the better imo, but you'd need your husband fully behind the decision too.

Jw35 Mon 11-Jan-16 14:46:04

No way! 8 months? I wouldn't.

fredandme123 Mon 11-Jan-16 14:51:03

Can you call her pops/poppet/poppy as a nickname and leave her name be, my brother essentially has two name as he has a long first name so my cousins ended up using a shortening of another name and it just stuck. They are pretty different if I use both in the same story people always ask if I have two brothers. Just an idea, wouldn't rush into anything either so I would think about it for a good while yet.

villainousbroodmare Mon 11-Jan-16 14:51:34

OP, you sound as if you need to see your GP on your own behalf.
Leave the child's name alone.

SnuffleGruntSnorter Mon 11-Jan-16 14:58:19

I agree with fuckup and the others who are suggesting that maybe the worry over your baby's name is a symptom of the anxiety and depression rather than the cause of it.

Please have another chat with your GP.

Don't make any rash decisions about the name unless you're sure. Better to change it at 12 months after you've been sure for a few months than at 8 months when you're still kind of on the fence.

For what it's worth I love the name Orla.

SnuffleGruntSnorter Mon 11-Jan-16 14:59:57

You could always add poppy as a middle name and use that if and when you want? When she's older she can choose?

Mynd Mon 11-Jan-16 15:16:57

I'd say it's maybe a bit late, BUT both me and my twin sister were given different names when we were 4. And it was fine. I remember being called my original name but it doesn't feel 'me'. So yes, call her Poppy if you want and in 2-3 months it'll be just how things are. Orla is lovely, though.

Froggy34 Mon 11-Jan-16 18:55:50

Spoke to doctor and she has upped my medication and am having time to talk councillor,however I keep going on to my husband about the name change and he thinks it's not right and not fair on Orla,it is going to tear us and our family up if we don't sort it!!

VagueIdeas Mon 11-Jan-16 18:58:51

I agree it's probably a symptom of your depression and you're projecting your unhappiness onto your DD's name. I feel for you, PND is the most miserable experience. But you WILL come out the other side.

FWIW, Orla is a lovely name, and Poppy is kind of common (as in commonplace smile).

Pitterpatter1 Mon 11-Jan-16 19:33:17

Orla is a beautiful name! Not that it matters what I think but I prefer it to poppy. I hope you manage to sort things out and enjoy this precious time with your baby!

Rachel234561 Mon 11-Jan-16 21:12:16

I would change it if it's really bugging you. She is too young at 8 months for it to have any effect on her. It will bug you more when you are saying in a million times a day when she is two.X why don't you change it to Poppy Orla surname. And do a gradual changex

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now