Talk

Advanced search

Did you agonise over middle names?

(19 Posts)
Daysleeper1985 Mon 04-Jan-16 00:54:05

My daughters middle name is Yvonne after my mother. DH didn't hate it, didn't love it.

Now I'm due another daughter and its DH turn. Keeping it family he wants Harriet, which I really dislike!!! Don't really feel I have a choice though 😞😞😞 Her first name will be Robin/Robyn (I know, God, totally new thread) Robyn Harriet? Crikey 😞

Anyone else?

Tate15 Mon 04-Jan-16 01:37:44

I didn't bother with middle names for either of my two.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Mon 04-Jan-16 02:07:01

I havent got a middle name - and I wanted one!
Can you give her two - Robyn Jane Harriet. .. bit long to go past the first two??
I likr Harriet BTW

smileygrapefruit Mon 04-Jan-16 02:15:05

My dd1 is Robyn Valentine, middle name after my grandma was actually her maiden name as couldn't call the poor child Gladys. Love it and get lots of compliments.

Blu Mon 04-Jan-16 05:31:23

Harriet is a great name!

However , no, we didn't agonise over middle names as they seem rather pointless , or else, as you are finding out, fraught if you use family names.

No middle names for our DC.

I haven't got one and have never felt the loss.

SoWhite Mon 04-Jan-16 06:33:34

Harriet is lovely.

Wishfulmakeupping Mon 04-Jan-16 06:39:44

I love Harriet! Is Robyn more 'your' choice if so think let dh have more say with middle name.
With dd with both found the first and middle name easy to choose- with ds we struggled to agree so went with 'my' choice first name and I let dh pick middle name.
If you really can't agree then I would stick to first name only.

lloydlf76 Mon 04-Jan-16 06:41:57

Robyn is lovely and so is Harriet. They are both much nicer names than Yvonne tbh so I wouldn't worry

wigglesrock Mon 04-Jan-16 08:10:46

No, we picked family names and had enough of a pool of names to get one we agreed one. I'm not particularly fussed on dd3s middle name, it's the same as my sisters but I honestly can't remember when I've ever used her middle name, ever (she's almost 5).

tilder Mon 04-Jan-16 08:18:59

We couldn't decide on a first name let alone a middle name. Resulted in a first name I love, middle name I don't.

The middle name is a family name for dh and it doesn't help that they call dc by said middle name.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 04-Jan-16 08:38:09

Harriet is lovely, and you owe him!

We have traditional middle names. For ds3, who has two, we each chose one to use - I don't like DHs choice - rather than the other two DCs middle names which were mutual choices.

Meeep Mon 04-Jan-16 08:41:44

Harriet is a really normal name that most people will find utterly inoffensive.
Robyn Harriet is fine!

Daysleeper1985 Mon 04-Jan-16 14:10:05

I wasn't expecting such a positive reaction to Harriet! Makes me wonder why I dislike it?! Seemed quite 'southern' to me (sorry, I'm from west Yorkshire and live in Scotland!) You are right though, I do owe him one!

We are fairly keen on spelling her name Robin, as we never like the y. So I was hoping for a girly middle name to at least counteract everyone's presumptions on paper.

Humpf, seems like it's Harriet or nothing ey! Otherwise his other family choices are Joan, Janet or Morag!!!! Dear Lord!!

Thanks all, good to know most people dint agonise over it either xx

NHKX2 Mon 04-Jan-16 14:34:18

For us the middle name will be in honour of family, and we've narrowed it down to Elinor (for my grandmother) or Harriet (for his grandmother). At first I wasn't too keen on Harriet but it has grown on me and I actually prefer it now.

Wishfulmakeupping Mon 04-Jan-16 15:49:08

NH that's bizarre my ds' name when we thought we were expecting a girl was Harriet Elinor (same spelling) spooky!
OP do you prefer Harriette as an alternative spelling?

Daysleeper1985 Mon 04-Jan-16 18:33:53

For the same reason I dislike the arbitary 'y' people put into Robin, I dislike all the extra rrtt in Harriet :-) NHK all these names are in honour of family...I just wish they had different names!!! Lol

vanillavelvet Mon 04-Jan-16 18:54:50

Our middle names were chosen in exactly the same way you are doing it. DD1s middle name after my DM and DD2s after my DHs DM.

I wouldn't have chosen DD2s middle name myself EVER, but it was the fair thing to do, and she'll always have her grandmas name - which is quite sweet really. grin

smileygrapefruit Mon 04-Jan-16 18:54:57

I like the y in Robyn because it doesn't affect the pronunciation, just means people know she's a girl when written. I agree though about extra letters for the sake of being different.

jorahmormont Mon 04-Jan-16 19:03:34

We took our shortlist and made a list of our top three. They were all totally different. Our fourth choices were exactly the same so we went for that one grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now